The Footie Thread 2014/15

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Biggy Shackleton

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 am
And despite us having one of the best defensive records in Europe, it's all down to one man, and it isnt Mourinho. We allow far far more shots on goal than the majority of teams. De Gea's 2 saves last night were saves that a keeper might have once every couple of season and be able to add them to a highlight real over the course of his career. De Gea is making them once every couple of weeks and keeping us in matches. If it wasn't for De Gea, Mourinho would already be gone imo.
And just to back this up:
OptaJoe wrote: 14 - David de Gea has conceded 19 Premier League goals this season, but based on Opta xG data for the shots on target he's faced, the average goalkeeper would have been expected to concede 33 goals. This is the biggest differential by a PL goalkeeper in 2017-18. Exceptional.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Sanchez has destabilised whatever was (partly) working about the team. The only time the other night United looked like they might carve an opportunity was when Sanchez, Mata and Herrera were off. Too slow, too ponderous, too untidy in possession. Martial, Rashford and Lingard aren't much better than Mata at retaining possession but they have pace to burn and will take far more effective shots. Can't understand not playing at least one every single game. Two of them have been the best outfielders this season.
Matic was a disaster on Wednesday too, and has been quietly working his way through a disconcertingly long bad patch with no end in sight. Thought the Carrick replacement issue had been solved but he looks a shadow of the player he was in September now.

Fred__Elliott

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Maybe he's a boardie. He was outstanding today

BadTurtle

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:03 pm

He was, most improved from Sevilla. Though McTominay shadowed Hazard well too.
Lukaku was brilliant, even the pressure relief in the last 5 minutes, think he outran two Chelsea defenders despite them having a few yards on him each. I'm probably in the minority, but I think Lukaku has been one of United's best players all season, scoring or not. He's putting a big effort in each game. Pogba could learn a lot from him.

Fred__Elliott

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Wouldnt say youd be in a minority amongst utd fans. Most i know think hes been great. His record against the top 6 is more reflective on Mourinho's tactics imo. I think he's been our best player since xmas

Fred__Elliott

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:43 pm

https://gfycat.com/ImmaterialSkinnyAfricanclawedfrog

Thats fucking ridiculous.

De bruynes pass at the end might be my favourite of the season. For me he meant the nutmeg from that far away

Eucrid

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:10 pm

They were fucking brilliant all game. Arsenal collapsed and City walked to victory in the LC final but in that game Arsenal were working hard and City just picked us apart anyway.

Shatners Bassoon

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 am

Henry better not be anywhere fucking near a shortlist of Wenger replacements.

Eucrid

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am

The talk is of him getting the job between now and the end of the season. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Shatners Bassoon

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm

No chance. What if he does alright and they give him the job full time?

I find him a seriously unlikable character quite apart from the complete lack of experience.

Eucrid

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Surely if he does a good job thats a good thing.

Shatners Bassoon

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:06 pm

What is there left to play for bar the Europa League? I have as much confidence in us winning that with Wenger as I would with Henry. We might even be as good as out by Thursday anyway.

If we're going to appoint a former player with fuck all experience I'd much rather go for Arteta.

Fred__Elliott

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Henry would be akin to people calling for Giggs or any of the class of 92 getting the job after Ferguson. It's a fucking huge task for someone with no experience. Arsenal are in an even worse state than Utd were when Ferguson left and look how that left

Fred__Elliott

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Not looking forward to the weekend, especially if Smalling and Young are destined to start. They were atrocious last night. Mata and Lingard moving to RB made the biggest difference to how we played. Neither Alexis or Pogba should start but both will

BadTurtle

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Lindelof was poor too. Squad isn't deep enough to replace all the poor performers last night, though presumably Shaw will have to start ahead of Young. Wishful thinking that Bailly might replace Smalling I suppose. Pogba was dreadful, lazy and technically poor. Sanchez at least tried but he's in no form at all at the moment.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:17 pm

BadTurtle wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Lindelof was poor too. Squad isn't deep enough to replace all the poor performers last night, though presumably Shaw will have to start ahead of Young. Wishful thinking that Bailly might replace Smalling I suppose. Pogba was dreadful, lazy and technically poor. Sanchez at least tried but he's in no form at all at the moment.
Lindelof needs a leader beside him and to be talked through games. the whole defense needs that actually. At 28/29 it should be Smalling but a leader he ain't. I think we need to look at getting an experienced defender in for a while now, especially if you're going to be playing 2 converted wingers at full back.Young didn't glance around once for the first goal last night, had no idea where Townsend was.

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm
Not looking forward to the weekend, especially if Smalling and Young are destined to start. They were atrocious last night. Mata and Lingard moving to RB made the biggest difference to how we played. Neither Alexis or Pogba should start but both will
I can't claim to watch much of Utd any more, but whenever i do watch them these days, all i see are balls being dropped in over Ashley Young's head, into the space behind him.

And with fair regularity, they seem to result in goals. I'm not sure how he's getting away with it. Luke Shaw must have peed on Mourinho's rug.

Eucrid

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 am

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 pm
Henry would be akin to people calling for Giggs or any of the class of 92 getting the job after Ferguson. It's a fucking huge task for someone with no experience. Arsenal are in an even worse state than Utd were when Ferguson left and look how that left
We just want Wenger out and Henry till the end of the season couldn't be any worse.

Mexicola

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am

Ugh, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be disappointed to go out of the CL to Juve
2 points, 8 games, 1 hero.

The team for ENIC's first game at the helm, a defeat at Derby:
N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand

Fred__Elliott

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

If City, Chelsea, Utd or Arsenal did that last night and lost from such a commanding position like Spurs had they'd be destroyed in the media, and rightfully so.