Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 am

The Post

Solid newsy drama, Hanks and Streep are typically good, but they roles both of them could do in their sleep tbf. Lots of satisfying Spielbergian touches. You forget how fond he is of the long takes; some of them are superb, especially the first meeting between the two leads.

Newsroom culture and against-the-clock journalism porn have been depicted far better in the past though. Zodiac or All the President's Men feel more immersive; even The Paper even though it's a comedy.

Also, he gets a bit heavy-handed with the freedom of the press stuff on some occasions, given the current climate over there. After more than a couple of monologues and hero shots you're like, sheesh, we get it Steve.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:57 am

Seeing Black Panther tomorrow lads; it's being previewed a full two weeks before the release date.

That usually means the test screenings across the water were extremely positive, so they want to get word of mouth out there asap.

Sounds like another slam dunk for Marvel.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 am

Finally watched Dunkirk on Sat there. Loved it; most tense film I've seen in a long time. The chronology stuff is Nolan's forte, but that aside I think the chaotic, unfocused business of war suits his style too. Maybe the lack of an actual plot helped him along there because exposition is never his strong suit.

We were puzzled by Tom Hardy's actions at the end though.

Why did he fly off down the beach and land right in front of ze germans instead of ditch in the water like his friend did earlier on? He was right over the boats, he could have easily been picked up but instead he went and let himself get captured.

If it was purely for dramatic effect, fair enough, but it felt immediately like Jack and the giant door from Titanic all over again.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 am


Rob
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 am

watched some movies for the 1st time in ages this weekend.

The Disaster Artist - was pretty great.

Coco - had completely forgotten the trailer for this, so had no idea what direction the movie was gonna go in during the 1st 20 minutes. Was really good, got me in the feels by the end, the colour is magnificent. But wouldn't put ahead of Up or Wall-E or Inside Out. Still, definitely worth watching. while I'm on the subject, is The Good Dinosaur worth bothering with?

What Richard Did - not sure what i expected from this. was interesting as i guess it's a story not often told. But it didn't bring anything incredibly insightful to such a situation. bunch of southside twats.

User avatar
Eucrid
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Brigsby Bear is great, find out nothing about it and just watch it.

User avatar
mooch
Posts: 2320
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 pm

is that the one with kyle mooney? would a 3 year old like it?

User avatar
bartleby
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Blisstonia

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Watched Black Panther. Was good, but not near as good as the reviews make it out. Seems all the talk of it being revolutionary was because it sets an African nation as technologically advanced. Was plenty good about it (the women, Michael B Jordan, Serkis) but also a fair bit wrong (action light for a comic book film, even the final confrontation was pretty poor, the Jordan's characters plan was a bit much).

Was different to other marvel films, less a huge spectacle with a world shattering finale, a smaller scoped story. People who are sick of Marvel films all being the same basic formula might appreciate that, but I wouldnt say it was a must watch

User avatar
Eucrid
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 am

mooch wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 pm
is that the one with kyle mooney? would a 3 year old like it?
It is. No its not a kids movie at all. Brigsby Bear is just a show the main character is obsessed with. Hard to say more than that without giving the whole thing away. Its not at all what I was expecting it to be.

billysexcrime
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 pm

bartleby wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm
Watched Black Panther. Was good, but not near as good as the reviews make it out. Seems all the talk of it being revolutionary was because it sets an African nation as technologically advanced. Was plenty good about it (the women, Michael B Jordan, Serkis) but also a fair bit wrong (action light for a comic book film, even the final confrontation was pretty poor, the Jordan's characters plan was a bit much).

Was different to other marvel films, less a huge spectacle with a world shattering finale, a smaller scoped story. People who are sick of Marvel films all being the same basic formula might appreciate that, but I wouldnt say it was a must watch
Yeah, it was grand, nothing special at all.

User avatar
mooch
Posts: 2320
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am

Eucrid wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 am
mooch wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 pm
is that the one with kyle mooney? would a 3 year old like it?
It is. No its not a kids movie at all. Brigsby Bear is just a show the main character is obsessed with. Hard to say more than that without giving the whole thing away. Its not at all what I was expecting it to be.
ah cool, i like kyle mooney. i'll give it a watch

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am

billysexcrime wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 pm
bartleby wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm
Watched Black Panther. Was good, but not near as good as the reviews make it out. Seems all the talk of it being revolutionary was because it sets an African nation as technologically advanced. Was plenty good about it (the women, Michael B Jordan, Serkis) but also a fair bit wrong (action light for a comic book film, even the final confrontation was pretty poor, the Jordan's characters plan was a bit much).

Was different to other marvel films, less a huge spectacle with a world shattering finale, a smaller scoped story. People who are sick of Marvel films all being the same basic formula might appreciate that, but I wouldnt say it was a must watch
Yeah, it was grand, nothing special at all.
I thought it was really boring but to be fair, I was hungover watching it so that was maybe a factor

I think it would have been 100% times better if Michael B Jordan played Black Panther instead. It's hard to give a shit about yer man playing Black Panther because he's so flat

Rob
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am

I haven't watched a Marvel movie in ages (or comic movie in general). I find them all so samey. Went to see Black Panther. 1st hour of the movie, thought it was one of the worst things ever, but i'd probably have thought that with any comic book movie. It improved once Michael B Jordan became more prominent in it though.

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am
I haven't watched a Marvel movie in ages (or comic movie in general). I find them all so samey. Went to see Black Panther. 1st hour of the movie, thought it was one of the worst things ever, but i'd probably have thought that with any comic book movie. It improved once Michael B Jordan became more prominent in it though.
The first hour is - no joke - the first time I've ever looked at my phone in the cinema.

Again, this is why I think he would have been a better fit for the Black Panther role. He's far more engaging and charismatic onscreen.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Yeah Jordan was kicked around for Black Panther at the same time Coogler's name started getting mentioned for the gig, straight after Creed came out. Problem was they had already cast and shot his role in Civil War so it was a moo point.

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm
Yeah Jordan was kicked around for Black Panther at the same time Coogler's name started getting mentioned for the gig, straight after Creed came out. Problem was they had already cast and shot his role in Civil War so it was a moo point.
Sake. He would have been better in the role by a country mile

User avatar
fatguy2k1
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 11:37 am
Location: Post Kül

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Watched a lot of the Oscar nominated movies and this i how i think it'll go on sunday -

Best Picture:
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape Of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Director:
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape Of Water

Leading Actress:
Sally Hawkins, The Shape Of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Meryl Streep, The Post

Leading Actor:
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J Israel Esq

Best Supporting Actor:
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape Of Water
Christopher Plummer, All The Money In The World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Supporting Actress:
Mary J Blige, Mudbound
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie MEtcalf, Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer, The Shape Of Water

Original Screenplay:
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Shape Of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Adapted Screenplay:
Call Me By Your Name
The Disaster Artist
Logan
Molly’s Game
Mudbound

other notes - lady bird is massively over rated. it's a good movie just not good enough to get all the praise. Same for the shape of water, it was a kids tale that had some nudity and violence thrown in.
It's a close race between Francis and Margot but Margot gets it. Streep was too much "streep", dind't think she was good in The Post at all.
Daniel in Get Out was great but him being new in hollywood works against him. Going to be Oldman all the way.
Allison Janney was head on shoulders about all the other nominees.
I give the nod to Sam over Woody as he played a much better part.

User avatar
BadTurtle
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 am
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 am

Dunkirk is getting shafted so far, I've only seen Get Out, Darkest Hour, 3 billboards and Lady Bird but I'm still surprised that's not figured more strongly in any awards, thought it was brilliant. Get Out is great too, and despite being the least Oscar type film, probably has the most important message. Would love to see the Big Sick get some love too, best comedy I've seen in ages. Nanjiani is brilliant in general.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

I think Dunkirk is getting snubbed because it's such an obvious play for the big awards.

The Dark Knight. Snubbed. Inception? Snubbed. Interstellar? Snubbed.

Nolan: FINE I'LL MAKE A FUCKING WW2 FILM YOU FUCKING SNOBS JUST GIMME THE GOD-DAMN STATUE.

User avatar
Eucrid
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm

BadTurtle wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 am
Would love to see the Big Sick get some love too, best comedy I've seen in ages. Nanjiani is brilliant in general.
Just watched it the other night. Thought it was grand but not nearly funny enough.

Post Reply