TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
enemies/friends

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 pm

BoB is probably the greatest TV show ever made in my opinion. It's almost perfect in so many ways.

I think The Pacific is possibly due a reappraisal. Not knowing it was going to be so unlike BoB probably actually made it an impossible position. Watching it without comparisons to BoB I think it could stand up alright

LordPercy

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Yeah love BOB and I think the Pacific stands up to, though I liked it first time round. Rewatched them both a few years ago and BOB hasn't lost its power.

Fred__Elliott

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Finished (what is hopefully) Season 1 of Dark over the weekend. Really enjoyed it, probably more so than any other new series I've watched in the last year or two. There's nothing groundbreaking in the concepts it covers, I just enjoyed the atmosphere and the way it was delivered.

Dick Jones

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:59 pm

enemies/friends wrote:

I think The Pacific is possibly due a reappraisal. Not knowing it was going to be so unlike BoB probably actually made it an impossible position. Watching it without comparisons to BoB I think it could stand up alright
I'd say the difference in tone is in line with historical accuracy. Morale among the allies in Europe was high in WW2, hence all the mucking about and humour in the series.

In the war in the pacific though, it was probably much much harder, the heat, the disease, they didn't have as clear an objective as the soldiers in France did. So the lack of humour in The Pacific was probably in line with what the fight was like over there.

Lola

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 pm

enemies/friends wrote:
BoB is probably the greatest TV show ever made in my opinion. It's almost perfect in so many ways.

I'd agree with you there

mooch

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

i don't know if it's an indication of how bad The Walking Dead has become or how bad the board is these days but it's pretty surprising that no one is talking about the mid-season finale

it was terrible just like the rest of the series. it's mind boggling how a show can go from great tv to complete drudge crap

Eucrid

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

I stopped watching it for ages and then just ploughed through the half sitting in a couple of days. It was much more enjoyable that way. It is however an indication of dull its become.

fatguy2k1

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:04 pm

mooch wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm
i don't know if it's an indication of how bad The Walking Dead has become or how bad the board is these days but it's pretty surprising that no one is talking about the mid-season finale

it was terrible just like the rest of the series. it's mind boggling how a show can go from great tv to complete drudge crap
it's terrible, so, so very bad at the moment. this season, bar the opening salvo fired at the saviors, has been a mess. what happened with old man rick? fecking nothing. mid-season finale
Carl was bitten about two episodes ago, he should have been a walker by now.

voidoid

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 am

I didn't want to talk about it because I'm pretty disappointed in myself for still watching it.

It's always been a bit inconsistent but this half season was all over the shop.
How bad does the editing have to get that it starts to bother you? Multiple location changes and no establishing shots, small mixing of non linear time, new character, call back of an old character nobody remembers, off camera events. It was a mess.

First episode worked well with the tension of seeing the plan put in action without knowing the full details.
Then it just continued spinning off with no cohesion or real logic.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Mr Robot season 3 was brilliant after season 2 was a bit meh. I loved it. Probably my favourite show on TV.

Threw on the first episode of season 1 to show the gf what it is like, was only gonna show her the first scene as it was late, and she wouldnt let me turn it off. Instantly hooked. I've been looking forward to rewatching the first season considering what happens at the end of it

Rob

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 pm

I should be finishing season 3 tonight. But fully agree. Season 1 was a stomper, 2 was a dip, but this season has been incredible.

mooch

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm

voidoid wrote:
I didn't want to talk about it because I'm pretty disappointed in myself for still watching it.

It's always been a bit inconsistent but this half season was all over the shop.
How bad does the editing have to get that it starts to bother you? Multiple location changes and no establishing shots, small mixing of non linear time, new character, call back of an old character nobody remembers, off camera events. It was a mess.

First episode worked well with the tension of seeing the plan put in action without knowing the full details.
Then it just continued spinning off with no cohesion or real logic.
this is exactly how i feel but couldn't put into words.
it's hard to watch now because of how it's shot

Eucrid

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:32 pm

voidoid wrote:
Yeah its crazy, it didn't used to be so amateurish. Goes to show how little enthusiasm is left from the people making it.

Phierstarter

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:54 pm

I think that's my favourite Black Mirror to date. More humanistic than nihilistic, it's really grown. Such a consistently brilliant show.

bartleby

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Started watching the Leftovers. Its fucking shite. So much of all the shit I hate that Lindelof does. Nearly half way through season 2 but im struggling to keep motivated to finish it, its absolute posion. Cant even imagine how he's gonna fuck up the Watchmen series

Can someone tell me if they ever solve the departures? Cos I dont want to really keep going if its never addressed.

mooch

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:02 am

bartleby wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 pm
Started watching the Leftovers. Its fucking shite. So much of all the shit I hate that Lindelof does. Nearly half way through season 2 but im struggling to keep motivated to finish it, its absolute posion. Cant even imagine how he's gonna fuck up the Watchmen series

Can someone tell me if they ever solve the departures? Cos I dont want to really keep going if its never addressed.
the departures is not the point of the show, it's about the people who are left behind & how they cope. i loved the leftovers, there are some scenes & situations throughout that just about broke my heart.

same as the walking dead is not about zombies, it's about how the people deal with it

Eucrid

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 am

I'm watching through The Leftovers as well. I loved the first series but we stopped after the first episode of the 2nd because that turn of events annoyed my wife so much. I'm hoping to talk her into getting back into it soon.

mooch

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 am

i love it
i'd say it's in my top 5 shows, if not close enough

bartleby

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:14 pm

I get that its about them, but its such a huge event. Seems just lazy to ignore it. Im half way through now, ill prob finish it but im in no rush

Rob

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Just noticed LoveSick is back :D