Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
maradara

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 am

deadly, congrats. that doesn't happen often

i could do with that magic money tree i've been reading about

eventSecurity

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 pm

JC! wrote:yeah it is

I'm going to quit in the next 6 - 9 months, and I'm just going to leave it on my CV as is.
Can ye go to HR?

JC!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 am

honestly, at the time I was incredibly pissed off - now I'm thinking, if I'm just going to hang round until December, it's not worth risking getting a rep as difficult, in a small Dublin finance community.

HR is a big gossip who'd tell everyone across the building too if someone was being difficult in her eyes.

Zook

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 am

does that not kinda defeat the purpose of her job?

Dick Jones

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:49 am

Yeah isn't HR supposed to be a confidant of sorts in that situation.

Phierstarter

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 am

HR's job is to protect the company and their boss's image. They could be nice people but they're not your friends.

Fred__Elliott

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 am

Dick Jones wrote:Yeah isn't HR supposed to be a confidant of sorts in that situation.
HR are there to protect the company, the name is a misnomer. Unions are there to protect the worker

JC!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm

yup, HR aren't there to help you out at all.

Dick Jones

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 am

Everyone in my office guzzles nescafe all day long. Don't know how anyone goes near it, vile stuff.

Dick Jones

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:43 am

Zook wrote:
Dick Jones wrote:She also has an uncanny ability to take any topic and turn it around to launch into a story about her kids fuckin ballet practice or something.
OH MY GOD!!! we have one of those!! if someone mentions that they saw a film or something she'll go on about how her sons saw it and what they think of it. no one gives a fuck what her son thought of it. her whole life is totally consumed by her sons.. like i know all parents are like that but this is really extreme
Just now I was sipping a coffee chatting to our designer, she was showing me some magazine layouts and we were talking about incorporating the design into our one. I said "the thing is these are food and recipe magazines, so it might be a little bit diff-..."

and your one loudly butts in I'M GOING TO Toronto soon you should see the food shops they have over there! I'm going to get all this amazing stuff, my kids will be really bored but once they try it they'll love it!"

She doesn't even realise she's doing it, but my god it's annoying.

She just did it again while I was writing this post, something about her daugher winning a teddy bear at funderland or something.

And again! Her friend's kid loves cats and calls their one "cat".

enemies/friends

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 am

Consciously taking your kids on a holiday they'll be bored on. I mean I don't have any of those kid things, but that doesn't sound like the most fantastic of parenting decisions

shivo

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:27 am

According to a digital pamphlet prepared and sent out to a lot of external people by some genius here, Barings Bank went bankrupt due to rogue trader Liam Neeson.

JC!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am

hahaha brilliant

like, it's not that close even

Rob

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

shivo

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 am

Head has been wrecked in my current job for a while now, and I've been looking at the options to get out since a bit of a showdown with the department head earlier in the year of the treatment of our team and a load of lies he told me.

Then this morning - in what appears to be an effort to stop me leaving- I was told that I'm pretty nailled-on to be promoted in March, but there are also trying to see if some strings can be pulled to make it happen in September.

However, coincidentally, this morning I've also been offered a job in a different department, but at the same grade I'm currently at.

If I stay, nothing will really change with what I'm doing. My title and my grade will change, and there'd be a small pay increase. But it more importantly, it would be a step closer to the next "officer" level, which is difficult to explain - it's a even bigger step up than the 'grade' promotion. A rather large milestone.
The risk will remain that the Polish girl (who does 3 times the work of the other 2 combined) could leave. Also, she's 34 and one year married. So Maternity leave is very much on the horizon. If she goes I'm looking at a serious mess.

If I go, I'll no longer have to deal with the weasel of a department head or the head melting work I'm doing, I'll expand my CV, I'll be working in an area that's very much growing in this country, but I'll be bottom of the pile for a promotion, by a long, long way. It would certainly add at least 2/3 years extra towards reach the above mentioned 'officer' milestone, which I'm a few years away from already. And there's also the risk that I won't be suited or wont like the new job.

It'll probably be more intense work if I move, but at the same time there is a decent team structure so that instead of being the first port of call for people to dump everything on like I currently am, I'll have several layers of people to advise and help.

TL:DR
Should I stay in my job which is a mess and I dislike management, but that I'm good at and have a clearer/easier path to promotions, or move to another job where I'll be back of the line for a promotion, that doesn't have any stepping stones making it more difficult to obtain, but in a team that is structured well and in an area which is expanding in Luxembourg, and will have way more jobs in the future than my current area.

I leave my fate in your hands oh wise forum

Zook

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

take the other job

Phierstarter

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:46 am

What Zook said.
Can't you just jump up a grade in another company, or is that not a risk you want to take right now?

JC!

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:56 am

I'd move - you're in your 30s right? a couple of years isn't the end of the world, as you say, you'll expand your experience (rather than just increasing experience in what I guess is a specialized area)

I think that in 3 years time, it'll look better on your CV that you've reached that officer level in and gotten experience in a number of areas, rather than be at that level but only in the one area, if you get me?

also, you seem really frustrated, a change could do you good. Can you ask around and meet with people in the other dept to see how good a fit you'd be to the team and to the work?

shivo

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:07 am

Phierstarter wrote:What Zook said.
Can't you just jump up a grade in another company, or is that not a risk you want to take right now?
That would be the preferred path, but there are almost no jobs available. I've bee search and working with recruiters since the turn of the year and nothing has come up. In this country anyway.

shivo

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am

JC! wrote:I'd move - you're in your 30s right? a couple of years isn't the end of the world, as you say, you'll expand your experience (rather than just increasing experience in what I guess is a specialized area)

I think that in 3 years time, it'll look better on your CV that you've reached that officer level in and gotten experience in a number of areas, rather than be at that level but only in the one area, if you get me?

also, you seem really frustrated, a change could do you good. Can you ask around and meet with people in the other dept to see how good a fit you'd be to the team and to the work?
To clarify, it'll take me 3 or 4 years to get where I currently am (or will be if I take the promotion); which is 3 or 4 years away from that 'officer' level (or probably more).

The prospective team seem OK, but you can never really know until your sitting with them day in day out.

but I'm to and frowing between 'better the devil you know' and 'a change is a good as a break' if you know what I mean.