Official Gym Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
User avatar
voidoid
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Inside the Mocktagon
Contact:

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 pm

What event was that Dara do you know? Some of the newer commentators are very knowledgeable but are still pretty green when it comes to live commentary.

If I hadn't already been doing the training then I don't know if I'd ever of gotten any understanding or appreciation for the grappling. I probably wouldn't of ended up watching the sport at all outside of maybe Conor's fights

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:56 pm

I've just joined a gym and am completely clueless.

Anyone got links for an easy to understand weights program, maybe? Probably just working on core and stuff for running/football purposes I'd say.

User avatar
maradara
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: where it's hot

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Can't remember what the fight was I watched, but it was recently enough.

Dwayne, The guy on YouTube channel called athlean-x is very good. I stopped doing a lot of damaging chest exercises after watching his stuff

It's taking me longer to recover from injury. Wrecked my ankle in Nov and it's still not 100%.played football tonight and can still feel it

User avatar
JC!
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:34 am

dwayne wrote:I've just joined a gym and am completely clueless.

Anyone got links for an easy to understand weights program, maybe? Probably just working on core and stuff for running/football purposes I'd say.
this is my issue with gyms!

Lumbo
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:32 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 am

JC! wrote:
dwayne wrote:I've just joined a gym and am completely clueless.

Anyone got links for an easy to understand weights program, maybe? Probably just working on core and stuff for running/football purposes I'd say.
this is my issue with gyms!
Shouldn't someone employed in the gym be doing this for you. You're paying enough money to be there.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah I joined up a a few months ago, when I signed up they made an appointment with an instructor who showed me how to use the machines and gave me a simple beginner's program.

That was the start of December, he said do this couple of times a week, then come find me at the end of January and we'll move on to the next level.

Do other gyms just take your money and leave you at the door?

User avatar
JC!
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:06 pm

I joined flye fit, and yeah, essentially they did. gave a tour of where things are and left me on my way. and like, I made it obvious I was an idiot

a buddy of mine joined before me, and the same girl gave him a full hour session like you've just described!

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Maybe she fancied him.

User avatar
Fred__Elliott
Posts: 3306
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Dick Jones wrote:Maybe she fancied him.

Rob
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:54 pm

i always hated that about being new in a gym with dick all experience. Also not wanting to ask for help.

At the minimum, the staff there should be able to give you a program, and answer any questions about machines or technique if you need it.

Other than that, they'll try get you to get a PT. Not the worst idea ever if just to get you started, so long as it's not your long term plan.

I've heard flyfit is like a jungle though, where you're fighting to get at the equipment you want. I think the one in swords doesn't even have showers and there's only like 1 or 2 people working

User avatar
maradara
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: where it's hot

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:56 pm

makes sense
swords smells

User avatar
Fred__Elliott
Posts: 3306
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm

"where can I plug these hair clippers in?"

User avatar
JC!
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Dick Jones wrote:Maybe she fancied him.
she might have a fetish for 25 stone men.

Shatners Bassoon
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 am

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:17 pm

JC! wrote:I joined flye fit, and yeah, essentially they did. gave a tour of where things are and left me on my way. and like, I made it obvious I was an idiot

a buddy of mine joined before me, and the same girl gave him a full hour session like you've just described!
If you sign in to your account on the website you can book a session with one of the staff I think.

User avatar
JC!
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Shatners Bassoon wrote:
JC! wrote:I joined flye fit, and yeah, essentially they did. gave a tour of where things are and left me on my way. and like, I made it obvious I was an idiot

a buddy of mine joined before me, and the same girl gave him a full hour session like you've just described!
If you sign in to your account on the website you can book a session with one of the staff I think.
i did - that session was the tour! I've been meaning to book a personal trainer but my calendar is ridiculous to try and track. I usually have <1 week's notice for travel.

so I'm just becoming a fat mess instead :)

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 am

Lumbo wrote:
JC! wrote:
dwayne wrote:I've just joined a gym and am completely clueless.

Anyone got links for an easy to understand weights program, maybe? Probably just working on core and stuff for running/football purposes I'd say.
this is my issue with gyms!
Shouldn't someone employed in the gym be doing this for you. You're paying enough money to be there.
I got a one hour session with a personal trainer about form, and then had him try to sell me more sessions. I've turned all of those down.....figure two days a week of weights, and do another class or two (they're included at least).

Rob
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Apparently McGregor said Mayweather is a Malteser with eyes. A little surprised that didn't cause some uproar

User avatar
voidoid
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Inside the Mocktagon
Contact:

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Glad to see its not.
He's slagging his "small, round, brown head". Immature, childish and boorish it may be, but to take it out of context so everyone came scream racist would be disingenous and not achieve anything of value

Rob
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 pm

ugh, made a checklist last week so I wouldn't forget to bring something to the gym, like spare socks or underwear or my towel

forgot to include tshirt on the list :|

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 am

My gym's actually quite good, in that t-shirt, shorts, socks and towels are all provided.

Of course, it'd fucking wanna be for the price I pay.

Post Reply