One Wish: Free Flow drink policy

Rumours of bands playing at the Electric Picnic Festival are always circulating – sometimes they are true, sometimes not… All discussions of non-confirmed artists also take place here. Any bands you'd love to see?
Kapital T

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:37 am

Having spent one of the best festival weekends of my life at Body&Soul, I have only one request/wish for EP this year.

Do what B&S did and introduce a free flow drinks policy. This changed the whole weekend in a very positive manner. Queues into the arena were non-existent with no searches. This generated one of the most relaxed atmospheres at a festival I have encountered in Ireland in recent years. The bars still seemed busy and the bunch that I was with were more than happy to buy some drinks, even though we had drinks to bring around the site. I would love to know what the impact on the bar takings over the weekend was, but I suspect that the difference was not nearly as large as one might have expected.

B&S totally redeemed themselves with this policy this year after last year's over zealous security policy on the drinks in the arena.

EP needs a return to prior greatness and I personally believe that the introduction of this policy would go a long long way to achieving that.

So EP ... do the right thing!

mojo

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:18 am

Well said Kapital T

B&S drink policy was great this year. I still bought as much from the bar at b&s as I would have at EP. In fact I think I bought more

Window Licker

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 am

Hear hear

Also results in less messily drunk people as they're not cramming it in at the campsite
I'm not the window licker i'm the window licker's son and i'm only lickin windows till the window licker comes

Joe7

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Agree with this 100%

With an expanded capacity and considering it's a sell out weekend, searching people for drink coming in and out of the campsite will cause bottlenecks and significant delays.

Joe7

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 am

Looks like it's not going to happen, unsurprisingly
As per previous years whilst the bars onsite are open no drink or alcohol can be brought into the arena, with the exception of sealed soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml). Once the bars are closed up to 4 cans of beer/cider per person or soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml) are permitted to be brought into the arena (Bars scheduled to close at midnight on Friday and Sunday and 1am on Saturday)
http://electricpicnic.ie/bars

Kapital T

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:59 am

Very disappointed with the usual policy (again) this year. And now with the bars closing later and 6,000 more people, this is gonna be a mess. I already have bit of a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't even got there.

Considering the increased revenue in ticket sales this year combined with a pretty average (aka inexpensive) lineup, I have only one word to describe the organisers' attitude this year:

Greed!

Eucrid

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 am

Jesus they're extending the opening hours of the bars, its a good thing. Quit the whinging.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:49 am

It's not though. You spend more money on watered down drink and less time listening to music because you can't bring in your own drink til after 12. It's purely a money making move, nothing to do with what festival goers want.

Eucrid

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Sure if you have to trek back out to your tent at half 10 you are missing some of the best acts of the night. I'd rather just grab a pint.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:19 pm

I find theres usually noone I'm particularly interested in at half 9-10 so it was the perfect time to get cans.

Eucrid

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Fair enough. Everyone I've told about the late bar is delighted. We tend to camp near the back of the campsite though, way too much hassle heading back out at half 10.

LordPercy

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Eucrid wrote:Sure if you have to trek back out to your tent at half 10 you are missing some of the best acts of the night. I'd rather just grab a pint.
Same as that used to hate running out of drink at that time of night.

And to kapitalt complaining of greed!! the festival is a business there to make money of course they're greedy it's their fecking job

Eucrid

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Its even worse since they stopped doing bags of wine. At least in the good old days when they closed the bar you get a couple of pints and as many bags of wine as your pockets would hold. Last year they had the shitty little pub bottles of wine and wouldn't let you keep the lids. Cunts.