Football Season 2013-2014

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Shatners Bassoon wrote:
BadTurtle wrote:It's just jealousy.
I don't think you need to be jealous to consider Ronaldo an arrogant prick.
To write an article about a goal celebration? I think you might. It's pathetic really.
Ronaldo's an ass, but he had just won the champions league. Hardly a crime to celebrate, even if it was an extremely vain celebration.

eventSecurity

Sun May 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Ive never rated Di Maria. Nothing special at all
Not just on last night, but he's one of madrids most important players this season. And will be the same for the argies in the WC
Tony Mokbel wrote:QPR just caused a massive shit show for the football league winning that.

Based on FL FFP rules, they now the league around £55m for breaking rules, but the football league has been told the premier league won't be involved in the collection of money from its members.

So what that means now is that, most likely, if QPR are ever relegated again they'll need to pay the money owed to the football league to be allowed to join again.

If they dont pay it they could be turfed from the premier league into non league and be unable to be promoted back to the league until the money is paid.

It's going to be an absolute mess if they go down next season. It sounds nuts, but that promotion has almost certainly set the wheels in motion for them to go out of business in the next decade
They'll be ok. They have known about that for ages. They will pay the fine. The money they get from TV deals in the summer and parachute payments if they go down will cover it.

I also dont get the fuss over Ronaldo last night. One of the worlds best players in being arrogant shocker. Zlatan does it all the time and people think its great craic. His charity work is brilliant and is very humble off the pitch. Ill excuse him preening and wanting the cameras on him all the tim

Shatners Bassoon

Sun May 25, 2014 3:40 pm

BadTurtle wrote:
Shatners Bassoon wrote:
BadTurtle wrote:It's just jealousy.
I don't think you need to be jealous to consider Ronaldo an arrogant prick.
To write an article about a goal celebration? I think you might. It's pathetic really.
Ronaldo's an ass, but he had just won the champions league. Hardly a crime to celebrate, even if it was an extremely vain celebration.
He's a blogger and I cherry picked that bit because I thought it was funny. He's not writing for the Times ffs.

I don't get people having an issue with people disliking Ronaldo. I'm not saying he's a terrible person. I'm saying his arrogance and his antics on the pitch make him seriously unlikeable to me and many, many others. I may articulate this dislike by calling him a prick, cunt etc. He's a public figure, and my attitude towards him is based on his public persona. I'll sadly never know the 'real' Christiano.

Does the fact that he's one of the best players in the world mean I have to accept his behaviour? Kanye West is a good comparison. Arrogant, obnoxious, insanely talented bastard. I love the fucker but I can understand why others don't.

Hating other teams and their players is part of what makes football great anyway; so fuck the greasy arrogant cunt.

Biggy Shackleton

Sun May 25, 2014 3:51 pm

I'd say something if it was funny rant, but it wasn't.

Anyway, the final was all about him. In Spain and Portugal it was billed as his big homecoming and all the talk was about Destiny.

Every game he plays, he's the focus of attention. He's a once in a generation talent. It's too be expected. His ego is the reason he's as good as he is.

More power to him.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Sun May 25, 2014 3:57 pm

I read the full article, and it just came across as a jealous bloke seething, nothing funny there. To get that worked up about a goal celebration is just sad, doubly so when it has literally nothing to do with the team he supports. No better than some of the troglodytes you might see tweeted by RAWK meltdown that begrudge every team and player in the world no matter the significance.

never_green

Sun May 25, 2014 4:40 pm

come on leyton!

ah, shite

dwayne

Sun May 25, 2014 4:46 pm

You jinxed them

Rusty Shackleford

Sun May 25, 2014 5:50 pm

I was laughing my head off at Ronaldo's celebration. What a knob!

Gatsby

Sun May 25, 2014 7:10 pm

It's a hard blow to see Ireland losing games at home against Serbia and Turkey, but it shows the level we are at rather than scraping mindless boring draws.

Had some opportunities in the game that should have been taken, but if you look player to player against these teams, we're punching above our weight.

Still think we need the granny rule to get a few decent players in, otherwise we're stuck with the likes of Wilson, Meyler and Daryl Murphy, who will never be international standard.
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

maradara

Sun May 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Its pretty fucking depressing alright. We're back down in the shit category and i dont think there's a glut of great tallent coming through

Lumbo

Sun May 25, 2014 7:21 pm

maradara wrote:Its pretty fucking depressing alright. We're back down in the shit category and i dont think there's a glut of great tallent coming through
There's very little in the Under 21 squad that shows much promise.

never_green

Sun May 25, 2014 7:21 pm

i didn't even know that game was on :?

Gatsby

Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 pm

never_green wrote:i didn't even know that game was on :?
That's pretty much why the aviva was barely a quarter full. Little or no advertisement of a piss poor fixture that nobody really cares about.

Was offered free tickets a good few times and couldn't go cos i was working, but i honestly didn't want to go.
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

JasonManic

Sun May 25, 2014 7:28 pm

I didn't think we played that badly though. We were the better team for most of the game even if the quality was poor. McGeady was our best and worst player again.

maradara

Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 pm

We've never had a decent u21 team for as long as i remember. Good players need to get drafted straight in.
We'll be rembering the relatively solid defensive displays of the trap era with fondness very shortly

enemies/friends

Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Sure, it could be worse. You could've gone off to Chile and Uruguay with a squad which has scored a total of about 8 international goals and has a slightly overweight part time striker from the Irish league as the main forward

Rev

Mon May 26, 2014 8:13 am

It's only going to get worse though. The fact this country relies on England to provide the vast majority of the footballing education for young footballers here means they're going to get left behind. By the time most make it over there it's already too late in comparison to a lot of their contemporaries.
If the want to do anything about it, the FAI really need to open academies around the country to try and provide the basics to youngsters. No point in relying on the clubs because they're too volatile.

Eucrid

Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 am

Trap out!

Biggy Shackleton

Mon May 26, 2014 8:55 am

Rev wrote:It's only going to get worse though. The fact this country relies on England to provide the vast majority of the footballing education for young footballers here means they're going to get left behind. By the time most make it over there it's already too late in comparison to a lot of their contemporaries.
If the want to do anything about it, the FAI really need to open academies around the country to try and provide the basics to youngsters. No point in relying on the clubs because they're too volatile.
This is the truth of it.
And because in recent years the premier league clubs cast their nets far and wide to every corner of the planet for young talent the chances are harder to come by. There are still only 20 clubs with a set number of places on offer in the top flight in England, where historically, we had become accustomed too seeing our players play.

enemies/friends

Mon May 26, 2014 9:42 am

All Ireland league and team is the best solution from a footballing point of view. Sadly of course there's too many other issues.