Football Season 2013-2014

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Lumbo

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am

Argentina on the nose
France & Uruguay e/w

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:26 am

BadTurtle wrote:I love the guessing, and then being totally wrong, like when the likes of France and Italy go out in the group stages.
I'm probably looking forward to this World Cup more than any one since 2002.
Same. Not sure why. Maybe its because its in Brazil, i'm expecting it to fulfill that Festival of Football expectation more than any other previously.

Its a pity we didn't make it. We'd have really added something to it i think, maybe not on the field, but definitely contirbuted to the atmosphere.
Cos we're the irish, and everyone loves us.

Rusty Shackleford

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:06 am

Fields of Athenry, the new Vuvuzela

Eucrid

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:30 am

David Bentley has retired at the age of 29.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:36 am

I see Seedorf got a hattrick for the ROTW team last night. I'd say he could have played on like Giggs if he'd wanted. Was still one of ACs better players even in his final season.

Rusty Shackleford

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:37 am

Davids looked good too although he ended up going mad and elbowing people in the face and stuff. All for a great cause!

BadTurtle

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Who was he player-manager for in England again? He pretty relegated them as I recall, sent off about 4 times too.

Rusty Shackleford

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Barnet

He didnt go to away games because it was too far :lol:

Lumbo

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm

BadTurtle wrote:I see Seedorf got a hattrick for the ROTW team last night. I'd say he could have played on like Giggs if he'd wanted. Was still one of ACs better players even in his final season.

One of my favourite players ever. I was lucky enough to see him playing for Milan against Madrid in the Champions League. Despite the wealth of talent both teams had on display, Seedorf ran the show.

BadTurtle

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:35 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Barnet

He didnt go to away games because it was too far :lol:
When people talk about in-fighting in the Dutch squad during the 90s and early 00s I always just think of him. And maybe Kluivert.

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Eucrid wrote:David Bentley has retired at the age of 29.
He was interviewed by the Off The Ball guys 2 weeks ago, talking about it. Think he's off out in spain or turkey or somewhere now opening a chain of restaurants.

The Off The Ball lads were lapping his bullshit up, about how he fell out of love with football, and all he wanted to do was play the game, but all this other stuff kept getting in the way he said.... like agents... and social media... and people who monitor the running distance you cover in a game!

They waffled on about the pressures that modern day footballers are under, and how the life isn't as glitzy as it may seem.
That show has gone to fucking dogshit since Gilroy and Joe Molloy took it over.

Football rejected David Bentley, not the other way around. He couldn't get his game anywhere.

Eucrid

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

I was just thinking about him as a 21 year old at Arsenal and he had loads of potential. He was a talented player who chased money and ego at every turn. When he was at Arsenal he was constantly talking about how he should be a starter etc. He got his loans and was successful at Blackburn under Hughes, he left Arsenal for first team football but that was it, he never improved after that. He just became that typical bog standard up and down the lines winger that English football used to love. I have to think if he'd stayed at Arsenal Wenger would have made a much more rounded player.

Even at that he was a young lad and he wanted to play first team football. It was a mistake by him IMO but an understandable one. After his time at Blackburn he went to utter shit though. He flopped at Spurs and then never moved on because he was too greedy to take a cut in wages. Moaning about agents and pressure, etc is a total cop out. He could easily just join a championship team earn £15-20k a week and never have to worry about agents and transfers and all again if he wanted.

dazzler

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Eucrid wrote:David Bentley has retired at the age of 29.
He was interviewed by the Off The Ball guys 2 weeks ago, talking about it. Think he's off out in spain or turkey or somewhere now opening a chain of restaurants.

The Off The Ball lads were lapping his bullshit up, about how he fell out of love with football, and all he wanted to do was play the game, but all this other stuff kept getting in the way he said.... like agents... and social media... and people who monitor the running distance you cover in a game!

They waffled on about the pressures that modern day footballers are under, and how the life isn't as glitzy as it may seem.
That show has gone to fucking dogshit since Gilroy and Joe Molloy took it over.

Football rejected David Bentley, not the other way around. He couldn't get his game anywhere.
Couldn't agree more

Can't listen to it at all now, just total tripe

Gilroy and his rambling questions that take AGES to deliver. Graham Hunter and "I know your listeners are intelligent people, so I don't need to explain this"

Giles giving his Grandpa Simpson routine every week.. eugh

Rusty Shackleford

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Sidwell signs for Stoke. Good signing on a free

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Molloy is worse. he asctually hasn't a clue.

The show is too GAA centric now, and gaelic football in particular. The boys are a bit sneery towards the hurling at times i find.

And its way too Dublin biased now too. The roadshow used to be great with McDevitt, Early and Muprh. Now they never leave Dublin, and its always the mercantile.

And yeah, i can't fucking stand graham hunter. smug cunt. And giles, is quite literally phoning it in, trotting out whatever the general concensus on the issue at hand is, that issue about that player who's name he can't remember.

JC!

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 pm

BadTurtle wrote:I see Seedorf got a hattrick for the ROTW team last night. I'd say he could have played on like Giggs if he'd wanted. Was still one of ACs better players even in his final season.
sure he only retired 6 months ago after his team (Botafogo?) lost in the liberatores or didn't qualify or something - so that he could manage Milan. They appointed Pipo Inzaghi today

citizen snips

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Whats everyone betting on then

Im thinking Argentine/Aguero double and a fiver on France.

Dunno what else
I put a fiver on an Argentina/Spain final at 35/1 and a euro :o on a Holland/Brazil final at 50/1

JC!

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:09 pm

both bets are reliant on an upset in the spanish group?
argentina and spain both likely to win their groups leading to a meeting in the semi final. if spain finished second, then they'd have to face brazil most likely in the second round and go through a tricky route to the final to face argentina
brazil likely to top their group, netherlands likely to come second, leading to a second round meeting. if NL come second however, the final is the next time they could meet.

citizen snips

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Damn you and your logic

never_green

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:28 pm

time to come up with some crazy accumulators

Brazil - Cameroon
Spain - Chile
Japan - Colombia
Uruguay - Italy
France - Ecuador
Argentina - Bosnia