Football Season 2013-2014

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
JC!

Tue May 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Gatsby wrote:Laudrup is a great shout actually. Could work out better for Southampton in the long run.
the long run has never worked out well for laudrup though has it? so i've heard said on one of the podcasts before

5 year contract - assume that spurs have a break clause in there, and the 5 years is to protect them against poaching, more than him against sacking.

Biggy Shackleton

Tue May 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Pochettino is such an underwhelming appointment anyway even to a neutral, and Spurs fans are a cynical bunch as it is, I can't believe there will be to many of them overly enthused by the news.

"What's he won?" They'll ask.
"What have spurs won?" Is the answer.

I've never known a bunch of supporters to be so blaaah about every manager they've ever had.

dazzler

Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Spurs are probably the worst club in the Prem to manage

The fans are all idiots with completely unrealistic expectations

Levy has no patience and you have to put up with all those cringey motivational words they have up all over the stands

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Tue May 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Wonder how much £££ Pochettino can look forward to spunking this summer.

Joycer

Tue May 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:Pochettino is such an underwhelming appointment anyway even to a neutral, and Spurs fans are a cynical bunch as it is, I can't believe there will be to many of them overly enthused by the news.

I've never known a bunch of supporters to be so blaaah about every manager they've ever had.
I'm happy with it and optimistic but recognise it's a punt. The only safe pair of hands out there that I'd have wanted was LVG (no chance once Man U came in) and Ancelotti (only a chance of getting him if he was sacked). Many fans wanted Rafa or FDB but they'd be risks too and I can't stand Rafa so didn't want him anyway. I honestly loved the way Southampton played and was really impressed with them even the season before when we were very lucky to beat them 1-0. He could do a Rodgers or Martinez or he may not but I'd rather take a chance on someone who may be great than go for Moyes and solidify 5/6th for his tenure.

Eucrid

Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Interesting to see if ye poach a few Southampton players. It'd take some turn around to get your current squad to go from this seasons antics to working as hard as Soton next year.

Gatsby

Tue May 27, 2014 7:04 pm

JC! wrote: the long run has never worked out well for laudrup though has it? so i've heard said on one of the podcasts before
Not yet anyways. I'd love to get him at West Ham after next season if he's still available (which i doubt).
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Tony Mokbel

Tue May 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Pochettino is a great appointment for spurs then?

Biggy Shackleton

Tue May 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Tony Mokbel wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Pochettino is a great appointment for spurs then?

I think it stinks of this notion that he's foreign so he must have something about him.

Sherwood wasn't far off the mark.

18 good months at Southampton. That's all he had. He got relegated in Spain.
He's going to have to contend with teams coming to WHL and setting themselves up to be tough to beat.

I didn't seed much to his style at Southampton beyond pushing high up and pressing hard.

I think the relative success at soton owes more to the players than pochettino. We all thought Adkins was doing a fine job too.

Eucrid

Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Pochettino has made the right move though. Soton are bound to lose key players over the summer so it would've been a struggle to match this seasons finish for him.

dwayne

Tue May 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Eucrid wrote:Interesting to see if ye poach a few Southampton players. It'd take some turn around to get your current squad to go from this seasons antics to working as hard as Soton next year.
I'd take Lallana at Liverpool for 20m, but if it's creeping up towards 25-30m (as looks likely), then Spurs are welcome to him.

Mexicola

Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 pm

BadTurtle wrote:Wonder how much £££ Pochettino can look forward to spunking this summer.
Same as every other year, depends on how much we take in through sales.
Eucrid wrote:Interesting to see if ye poach a few Southampton players. It'd take some turn around to get your current squad to go from this seasons antics to working as hard as Soton next year.
This is my biggest worry, logic says the players who seem to shy away from hard work are going to suffer.
Vertonghen, Dawson, Paulinho, Ade, Sigurdsson, Dembele & Townsend don't do running around.
2 points, 8 games, 1 hero.

The team for ENIC's first game at the helm, a defeat at Derby:
N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand

Mexicola

Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:Pochettino is such an underwhelming appointment anyway even to a neutral, and Spurs fans are a cynical bunch as it is, I can't believe there will be to many of them overly enthused by the news.

Who would you have had us go for? every single candidate was underwhelming.

N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand

Biggy Shackleton

Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 am

I'd have stuck with Tim Sherwood till a better option became available.

I'd have stuck with avb a little longer till a better option became available.

but mostly, I'd have stuck with Harry. I don't know why he still isn't in the job tbh.

The amount of side stepping spurs have done over the last few years is tiring at this stage.

Tony Mokbel

Wed May 28, 2014 2:54 am

Ludicrous rumors claiming benitez had been spoken to by the potential incoming new villa owner about taking the job and is willing to leave Napoli for it.

Im saying not a chance in the slightest on that one... So it's probably nailed on

Mexicola

Wed May 28, 2014 8:36 am

Biggy Shackleton wrote:I'd have stuck with Tim Sherwood till a better option became available.

I'd have stuck with avb a little longer till a better option became available.

but mostly, I'd have stuck with Harry. I don't know why he still isn't in the job tbh.

The amount of side stepping spurs have done over the last few years is tiring at this stage.
Tim had managed to fall out with half our best eleven, there was no way he could stay.
Agree on Avb, we still would have finished top 6 with him in charge.
Harry was sacked after two huge collapses, the second year we probably should have finished third. Even with that I don't think he'd have been sacked if he hadn't taken his eye off the ball when the England job came up and then when he didn't get that job went to ssn demanding a new contract the day Levy was burying his mother.

Hope it works out for Poch and he moves on after beating all EPL managerial records and doing the quadruple for the third year running.

blitzen

Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 am

Billy Jones got a new scarf:

Biggy Shackleton

Wed May 28, 2014 10:40 am

Tony Mokbel wrote:Ludicrous rumors claiming benitez had been spoken to by the potential incoming new villa owner about taking the job and is willing to leave Napoli for it.

Im saying not a chance in the slightest on that one... So it's probably nailed on
:lol: I'd be so made up for you if that happened.

Oh please god let that happen! :lol:

Fred__Elliott

Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 pm

'parently we've matched Miranda's buyout clause

wretch

Wed May 28, 2014 12:27 pm

i'm assuming thats the same miranda that barcelona apparently bought yesterday?