What's on your mind?

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Rusty Shackleford

Mon May 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I cant see plane crash talk without bringing up the fact i was on this flight!
Two passenger aircraft entered Irish controlled airspace near Reporting Point BANBA at high level off the South East coast of Ireland. One was an MD-83 routing northwards towards Dublin from Faro, and the second was a B737 routing westwards towards Cork from Stansted. The former was maintaining Flight Level (FL) 280, while the latter, which was cruising at FL300, was cleared initially by the Shannon based Air Traffic Control (ATC) Radar Controller to descend to FL290 and subsequently to FL100. This ATC clearance conflicted with the path of the northern bound aircraft, and, in spite of at least four warnings, one verbal and three electronic, the Radar Controller appeared not to comprehend the closing speeds of the two aircraft and allowed the higher one to descend and lose the required minimum vertical and lateral separation from the other. What ensued was a critical failure of the human element of the ATC system to rectify this situation. The last resort safety net in this extreme circumstance, each aircraft’s on board Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS), automatically activated with a commanded warning to each aircraft. The pilot of each aircraft reacted correctly to this TCAS warning, one climbed his aircraft as instructed by the system and the other descended his aircraft as instructed by the system. A potential mid-air collision was thus narrowly avoided due to the TCAS activation and the correct response of the pilots. With separation subsequently re-established by ATC, both aircraft continued onwards and landed at their respective destinations.

The Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Department of Transport was notified of this Serious Incident shortly after it occurred. Three Safety Recommendations are made as a result of this Investigation.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 pm

that would freak me out to know that

why do they make information like that public

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I cant see plane crash talk without bringing up the fact i was on this flight!
Two passenger aircraft entered Irish controlled airspace near Reporting Point BANBA at high level off the South East coast of Ireland. One was an MD-83 routing northwards towards Dublin from Faro, and the second was a B737 routing westwards towards Cork from Stansted. The former was maintaining Flight Level (FL) 280, while the latter, which was cruising at FL300, was cleared initially by the Shannon based Air Traffic Control (ATC) Radar Controller to descend to FL290 and subsequently to FL100. This ATC clearance conflicted with the path of the northern bound aircraft, and, in spite of at least four warnings, one verbal and three electronic, the Radar Controller appeared not to comprehend the closing speeds of the two aircraft and allowed the higher one to descend and lose the required minimum vertical and lateral separation from the other. What ensued was a critical failure of the human element of the ATC system to rectify this situation. The last resort safety net in this extreme circumstance, each aircraft’s on board Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS), automatically activated with a commanded warning to each aircraft. The pilot of each aircraft reacted correctly to this TCAS warning, one climbed his aircraft as instructed by the system and the other descended his aircraft as instructed by the system. A potential mid-air collision was thus narrowly avoided due to the TCAS activation and the correct response of the pilots. With separation subsequently re-established by ATC, both aircraft continued onwards and landed at their respective destinations.

The Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Department of Transport was notified of this Serious Incident shortly after it occurred. Three Safety Recommendations are made as a result of this Investigation.
Last edited by BadTurtle on Mon May 19, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Shackleford

Mon May 19, 2014 1:02 pm

My teddy bear would have been floating in some pool in cork

Zook

Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm

i'm fit for bed

Fred__Elliott

Mon May 19, 2014 1:43 pm

tell me about it zook

eric the beard

Mon May 19, 2014 1:43 pm

im in bits and pieces

fell asleep at the table on saturday night. I cant say that's happened to me for many years. perhaps this is the beginning of the end.

ImMagicShh

Mon May 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm flying to Italy tomorrow, I wish I didn't just read all this plane crash stuff now!

LordPercy

Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Alanis Morisette might think it'd be ironic if your plane was to crash after reading this thread.

She'd be wrong though.

eric the beard

Mon May 19, 2014 2:19 pm

that was on the office radio earlier. spooky.

I think jagged lil pill is a great album but the lyrics to that song are ridiculous.

Rusty Shackleford

Mon May 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Shes alright in very small doses

eric the beard

Mon May 19, 2014 2:21 pm

that is a great album though. there's not a bad track on it.

I love how coogan & brydon are listening to it on their journeys in the trip as well.

ImMagicShh

Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm

I love that album

My sister though the line in You Oughta Know "the cross i bare that you gave to me" was "cross-eyed bear that you gave to me" :lol:

I'm not scared of flying anyway, its exciting, and then when the novelty wears off after the first hour or two its just as boring as a bus or any other form of transpor

fatguy2k1

Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 pm

getting 4-Star Pizza for dinner tonight.

Can. Not. Wait.

Lola

Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 pm

He's a twat but that new Usher song is a TUNE

ImMagicShh

Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 pm

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... U.facebook

Look what happened in Wicklow over the weekend. Mad

Rob

Mon May 19, 2014 2:46 pm

I love the inclusion of "the vicious lowlife"

eric the beard

Mon May 19, 2014 2:49 pm

I liked 'belt of a meat cleaver'

ImMagicShh

Mon May 19, 2014 2:52 pm

"Nearby pub Whiskers" is funny too because its really called Whistlers

Good man, the mirror.

Eucrid

Mon May 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Had a laugh at that too. Then I laughed at the idea of that Byrne fella as hero.