What's on your mind?

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
voidoid

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Phierstarter wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 am
Eh, first of all, don't shoot shoot the messenger. That means both me, since linking something doesn't mean you endorse everything about it, and them, since they're comprised of lots of writers with differing agendas. Only the content matters.
Anyway the whole idea of sides here is reductionist and counter-productive, and i'm pretty sure choosing not to read their material plays right into their own stereotypes of liberals cherry-picking their information.

I don't understand your second point, can you rephrase in terms of how it relates to the article?

From what i got from it, they prefer the precautionary approach to choosing a limit based on ex utero chance of survival instead of the 24-week (brain cortex forming / increased risk to the mother) period, and are saying that the former limit is lowering as medical science progresses.

It's all largely a moot point anyway since the vast majority of abortions are performed within 12 weeks.

The publication is the message. I know nothing of the publication and everything I've said is based on that article. Maybe I'm wrong to brand it a rag on the back of one article but it is going to have to produce some exemplary work to pull it out of that crap heap and make me consider it worth my time.

My second point is distilled from the article. They've made an agenda dripping point and backed it up very poorly.
In one sentence you have reduced it down to the kernal worth considering but the article may as well just be a page of "muh liberals" repeatedly typed out. The headline is the first red (non-commie) flag

The majority of american political discourse is binary, point scoring garbage and isn't worth considering.

Phierstarter

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm

We're in agreement so. That one sentence wouldn't get much of a reaction though, which is what they really want.
It will get interesting when we can can keep ~12 week old foetuses alive.

voidoid

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I wouldn't necessarily agree with setting limits based on ex-utero chances of survival. Particularly when it is only possible with a high amount of intervention.

In my dumb, ignorant opinion I'd say by the time medicine can bring 12 week foetuses to term ex-utero, they'll probably be able to take care of weeks 0 through 12 too by then.
Then we can just be rid of wimmins then, eh guys? Go Patriarchy!

Would we still be mammals though? or would we become cold unfeeling reptiles just like the NWO?

Phierstarter

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 pm

There could also be a partial Children of Men style scenario by then causing a huge demand for adoption.
I'm curious to know what the demand is at the moment. It seems like the best result for all concerned.

Dick Jones

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:13 am

Spent a couple of hours yesterday tidying and cleaning my laptop and dropbox. It's quite pleasing, having it all ship shape and no wastage anywhere.

5yo Vaio, still in excellent working order. Going to be installing Visual Studio and SQL Server soon, not sure how punishing they'll be on it, if atall?

Watched Three Kings at the same time, which is a very good film.

Fred__Elliott

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:59 am

what kind of processor is in it?

Visual Studio and SQL server will kill it. You'd ideally want a desktop if you're gonna be coding.

VS is very processor/RAM intensive - SQL server will depend on RAM and read/write speeds of your HDD. I'm guessing if it's 5 years old it wont have an SDD drive.

Phierstarter

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm

If your database fits in memory the hdd won't really matter.

Zook

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm

how did they ever think that would be ok :lol:

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm

You'd wonder, did they?

Everyone's feeling a little braver these days.

Rob

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm
Holy wow. You go, Dove.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -white-one
I’ve not seen the ad but heard in the context of the full ad, it’s not much of an issue, ie that the white women then turns into an Asian woman and so on. Obv the screenshots on their own make it look worse than it might be

shivo

Some people amaze me.
I was back in Dublin for the weekend, and when I arrived to Stillorgan at about half past midnight on the aircoach, I noticed some mong took my bag by mistake. The one they left behind incidentally, looked fuck all like mine.

After rooting around I was able to get yer man's name; Roberto Martinez. As the only person of that name I know of was managing a game against Bosnia and Herzegovina the next day, I was on a 'needle in a haystack' situation with the most Spanish of Spanish names. but I eventually found a piece of paper with his email address and sent him a mail with my phone number and location. (The aircoach drive was less than useless in offering a solution).

Yer man rings me at about 2am and admits that he saw the stack of 20 identical business cards and should have guess they were the owner's.
Then he says that as he was in Phibsborough without a car, and would I be able to drive over with his bag that night. After laughing that suggestion off, he asks can I be over there before 10am because they've a walking tour of Dublin at 11am. I told that I simply wasn't going to Phibsborough at all, to which he suggested that I meet him in town before 9am so that he's have time to go back to where he was staying. When I told him that wasn't happening either he got into a strop and said that he didn't want to meet later as it would mean he'd have to drag the case around for his tour. Well tough shit, hombre.

The next morning I leave at about 11.30 and text him that to ask the guide where they'd be in half an hour, when I arrive in. 30 mins later; nothing. Tried to ring 3 times without answer when a text eventually came that said "we're in the gardens". Tried to ring again, no answer so I text to ask what gardens. 15 mins later "castle" was the reply. I make my way down to Dublin castle and try to ring again. No answer, then "We moved to Christchurch".
Giving up on the calls, I text him that I will meeting him outside in 5 mins and to not move from there or else he's not getting his bag back.
A few mins later I text saying that I am outside and he replies "can you wait 10 minutes until we are finished?". When I simply replied "no" he replied "ok. 1 minute" and the fucking cunt still took 10 minutes to come out.

In what world is this an appropriate way to behave when it's your own fuck up?

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Shoulda gone to Phibsboro.

Dick Jones

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Should have sparked him out.

Rob

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 pm

the Spanish equivalent of my name :lol:

a mate had his carry on bag taken by someone from an Aer Lingus flight the other week. The bags weren't even the same colour. He was lucky to get the bag back still in the airport.

And I've actually had a mixup with bags after a bus to Montreal before. But tbf, both bags were identical

Daddy Warbucks
Location: They say it can land on a dime... whatever that may be.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:00 pm

whazzzzup!

lets see whats happening on the old forum

welp.. phier done been radicalized by the alt right i see, remember P, blade two on the side and the top swept to the left, have fun gettin sparked out at the demonstration pepe!

chester copperpot has beef with the Dove marketing team..

and i cant even get my head round that Shivo thing.. ex everton manager nicked his bag.. tldr for the punchline

gluck!
I'm a businessman. I love money, I love power, I love capitalism. I do not now and never will love children.

Phierstarter

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Heh, well i understand mankind is ultimately selfish, but i have yet to change my appearance to publicly proclaim that.
Any more style suggestions?

enemies/friends

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

The Tories are fucking idiots.
Alison McGovern comes in on Ireland.

Q: The government wants no physical structures at the border. But it also wants migration checks. Won’t they have to be at the border?

Hammond says those controls won’t necessarily have to be at the border.

Q: Won’t customs checks have to be at the border?

Not necessarily, says Hammond. He says Ireland and the UK have different excise rules for items like tobacco. But they are no physical controls at the border.

Q: So why have we not been able to resolve this issue?

Hammond says we cannot get to a conclusion until we know what the context will be. If goods can move freely, through a streamlined customs process, that will give us our answer.
Alister Jack, a Conservative, goes next. He asks about Ireland.

Hammond says using numberplate recognition as part of the new customs regime would involve cameras. They would not necessarily have to be at the border. But people opposed to a border would object to them.

(He is alluding to the prospect of Republican terrorists pulling them down, or blowing them up.)
That sounds like border infrastructure, no? Which the Irish have already rejected

http://www.irishnews.com/news/brexit/20 ... e-1086723/
CAMERAS and other technology cannot solve the post-Brexit border problem, the Republic's foreign affairs minister has said.

Speaking in Brussels yesterday, Simon Coveney said "technical solutions" including cameras and pre-registration alone will not fix the border issue.

maradara

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 am

always hated having my bag under the bus on the air coach for the fear of that very scenario.
unless i was travelling for business there'd be no identifiable docs in my bags

Zook

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:33 pm

lads

cauliflower rice

how have i never known of the wonder of it. its amazing!!