What's on your mind?

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
maradara

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 am

enemies/friends wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 pm
Eucrid wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 am
Its nuts. These are people who don't believe in evolution, global warming, etc some of them are even flat earthers. And there they are holding the balance of power between the UK and Europe.
I'm not sure how closely you guys have been following it but there's 2 issues that just are mental. First are these "impact reports " that David Davis said he couldn't release so the EU didn't know the UK negotiating position. Then released them "heavily redacted" but today admitted that actually they'd never actually carried out any impact reports at all.

Then there's the fact the British cabinet, despite May constantly saying "Brexit means Brexit" have yet to actually have a discussion where they set out what style or level of Brexit they actually want, be it completely out or in customs unions etc.

It's hard to tell if it's more incompetence or outright lying tbh
it's hard not to think that the whole thing is completely hopeless. i'd be pretty angry if i were british. are they too proud to admit it was all a mistake?
total incompetence from a government, and if there's an election it's not likely to get any better if the opposition gets in power
if it didn't impact ireland i'd be cracking up the whole time, but it's going to devastate us

Fred__Elliott

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 am

I'm hoping against hope that the whole thing is ploy, that they didn't think the country would vote yes, so they're bringing the country to the precipice only to then offer another referendum. I don't buy that their cabinet is as completely thick as they're making out. They couldn't be. And even if they are, the real powers behind the tories are not

Phierstarter

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am

I definitely think this applies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Dick Jones

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah I reckon they'll pull back from the brink sooner or later.

One hypothetical:

May's government will collapse, either due to the DUP or something else. Corbyn will become PM after general election, he will say Brexit has to go on. The back bench and/or the media and/or the public will say no we want another referendum now that we have all the facts. He will say OK if you insist, and Brexit will be absolutely obliterated.

Another 2c

Early on, the talk was of how the EU planned to make it very difficult for the Brits in order to "punish" them for leaving the EU and discourage other countries from wanting to do the same. Other countries probably have been discouraged in one way, but another is that every day is adding to a check list of do's and don'ts.

So if in the next five or ten or however many years another country wants to take a run at it, they could go back through the Brexit fiasco to make sure they flank the EU on every topic, do it by the book and genuinely get a good "deal" out of it. Just do the opposite of what the UK did.

Fred__Elliott

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Dick Jones wrote:

One hypothetical:

May's government will collapse, either due to the DUP or something else. Corbyn will become PM after general election, he will say Brexit has to go on. The back bench and/or the media and/or the public will say no we want another referendum now that we have all the facts. He will say OK if you insist, and Brexit will be absolutely obliterated.

Another 2c

Early on, the talk was of how the EU planned to make it very difficult for the Brits in order to "punish" them for leaving the EU and discourage other countries from wanting to do the same. Other countries probably have been discouraged in one way, but another is that every day is adding to a check list of do's and don'ts.

So if in the next five or ten or however many years another country wants to take a run at it, they could go back through the Brexit fiasco to make sure they flank the EU on every topic, do it by the book and genuinely get a good "deal" out of it. Just do the opposite of what the UK did.
Can you imagine how much more of a clusterfuck it would be if a Eurozone country tried to pull out? The pound has been decimated since it kicked off.

I just wish it would have an equally opposing and decimating affect on the bureaucracy inside the EU and make them look at themselves a bit more. Sadly that doesn't look to be the case

Eucrid

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Dick Jones wrote:

One hypothetical:

Another 2c

A) I don't think there is a hope in hell that Corbyn would pull out of Brexit. He might go for a softer Brexit though, make more concessions.

B) Just because there is one wrong way to do Brexit doesn't mean there aren't more. A lot of the problems facing Britain are because the people who voted for Brexit don't want to make reasonable compromises. It those type of people who would push an EU exit in most countries. I think Brexit is going to be so toxic that no party in Europe is going to want to take that on. Imagine if FG were overseeing an Irexit here now, they'd be decimated for years.

Dick Jones

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Eucrid wrote:

A) I don't think there is a hope in hell that Corbyn would pull out of Brexit. He might go for a softer Brexit though, make more concessions.
Do you think there are any circumstances in which they would hold the referendum again?

Like not in the sense "we didn't get the answer we wanted last time, so vote again and get it right this time"....more like..."are we absolutely sure we want to do this?"

Eucrid

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

I doubt it but who knows. If this things drags out for long enough that the direct financial implications start hitting ordinary people then maybe.

maradara

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm

The thing is, many who voted leave are still happily cloaked in ignorance. Social media and radio phone ins are probably not the best barometer for the real population of any country, but I've followed a few leavers just so that I not in my own bubble /echo chamber and I'm genuinely still shocked at what's being said.

Listen to the daily soundbites from James O Brian on LBC and it's amazing to hear people still spout crap about what the EU 'forces' on Britain, or how they are happy for the country to endure 10-20 years of hurt, just to be rid of the EU

It's just crazy
The only hope is that it will just become impossible to deny the lies any longer, reality will bite and sensible people will demand another referendum on the final deal

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm
Eucrid wrote:

Do you think there are any circumstances in which they would hold the referendum again?

Like not in the sense "we didn't get the answer we wanted last time, so vote again and get it right this time"....more like..."are we absolutely sure we want to do this?"
I could see David Davis' non existent impact assessments reports bizarrely playing a role serving a real purpose now.
Getting caught in the lie should serve to highlight the need for them. You would think.
You'd like to think at some point, someone will suggest commissioning unbiased independent impact assessments, throw them out for everyone to see good bad or otherwise and then with the fuller facts, have a 2nd referendum.

Grimsby gotta make you laugh. 18 months ago, they voted to leave, and it's only this week they finally stopped to ask, 'what about our fisheries?'
Surely the impact assessments are what everyone wants to see now.

enemies/friends

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:54 pm

So basically UK is now leaving, but going to remain having to stick to EU regulations. Remain at the mercy of EU Court. Pay 50 billion Euro. And people in NI get to still be EU citizens if they wish.

Brexit is a great idea.

Phierstarter

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Got my AfrikaBurn ticket, this is only massive! :D

Fred__Elliott

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Eucrid

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 pm

I think thats the best one of those Simpsons yokes so far.

Eucrid

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 am

Eucrid wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 pm
http://areyoucrooked.com/
:lol: Jaysus.

Always said Ryan Gosling was an uggo though. Feeling vindicated now.

Phierstarter

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Nerdy weird/interesting one here. It claims that large scale harmonic events reduces entropy.
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/papers/p ... lliams.pdf