What's on your mind?

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 am

mojo wrote:No way! Neighbours. I'm down the stranmillis side. Well i literally only moved up this week (though i've been working up here about 6 weeks)

i really like it so far. I have even started to love the accent. Also the food up here is amazing.

Great shops too. I went to Ikea last night. I actually think Belfast>Dublin
Sure we've been saying it's great for years and no one believed us lol

Aye, the food is great, it's cheaper, it's just the right size and you tend to find less people up their own holes than you would in the likes of London etc. If we could sort out the licensing hours, we'd be grand.

I'm on the other side of the river from you! *waves*

Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:07 am

enemies/friends wrote:Well if I have to pick, I'm picking Belfast.

But then Dublin has Coppers.
We have Thompsons which is just as awful as Coppers.

Belfast would probably have more Georgian houses if it weren't for the fact we were bombed to shit by the Germans and then bombed to shit again by ourselves.

Lumbo

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:12 am

Lola wrote:

Belfast would probably have more Georgian houses if it weren't for the fact we were bombed to shit by the Germans and then bombed to shit again by ourselves.
Dublin would have more Georgian houses if it wasn't for the ESB :roll:

Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 am

Lumbo wrote:
Lola wrote:

Dublin would have more Georgian houses if it wasn't for the ESB :roll:
What's the ESB?

Lumbo

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 am

Lola wrote: What's the ESB?
Electricity punters. They demolished 16 Georgian houses in Dublin back in the 1960's to build a new headquarters.

Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

Lumbo wrote:
Electricity punters. They demolished 16 Georgian houses in Dublin back in the 1960's to build a new headquarters.

That is truly an ugly, ugly building. They could have kept the frontage of the buildings and worked behind it!

mojo

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:28 am

Lola wrote:
mojo wrote:No way! Neighbours. I'm down the stranmillis side. Well i literally only moved up this week (though i've been working up here about 6 weeks)

i really like it so far. I have even started to love the accent. Also the food up here is amazing.

Aye, the food is great, it's cheaper, it's just the right size and you tend to find less people up their own holes than you would in the likes of London etc. If we could sort out the licensing hours, we'd be grand.

Like over by ormeau embankment? (look at me throwing places out like I know what I'm talking about

I always liked Belfast but I'm liking it a lot more as I'm getting to know the different areas better. I really like Stranmillis road and lisburn road

Whats the craic with licensing hours, I have no clue

teach me your nordie ways lola

enemies/friends

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:29 am

Lola wrote:

Different kind of awful. Coppers is awful. Thompsons comes with a health warning to only go if you're happy that you may get raped and/or murdered.

mojo

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:32 am

the ESB hq stick out like a sore thumb in that area, don't know what they were thinking or how they were let.

As far as I know there are plans to demolish that building and put it back the way it was with a modern twist.

there is an ugliness about those concrete 60s buildings that I kind of love. They are of their time yknow

Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:37 am

mojo wrote:
Lola wrote:

Like over by ormeau embankment? (look at me throwing places out like I know what I'm talking about

I always liked Belfast but I'm liking it a lot more as I'm getting to know the different areas better. I really like Stranmillis road and lisburn road

Whats the craic with licensing hours, I have no clue

teach me your nordie ways lola
Yes, the embankment!

Unless you have a late licence, the opening hours usually dictate you're out of the pub at 1pm which is a bit grim.

Have you been down to St George's Market on the weekend? They have a stall that does great Belfast Baps

Here, you'll have your first experience of a 12th now. I recommend going up to Belfast Castle on the 11th Night to see all the bonfires. It usually looks like the world is ending

Fred__Elliott

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:42 am

Lola wrote:
Lumbo wrote:

That is truly an ugly, ugly building. They could have kept the frontage of the buildings and worked behind it!
the ugliest building in the capital was built under similar circumstances. Loads of really night Georgina buildings beside Trinity knocked down to make way for this monstrosity - its the Department of Health

mooch

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:44 am

amazing what they got away with

darave

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:47 am

60s really were dark times for architecture

Fred__Elliott

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:50 am

mooch wrote:amazing what they got away with
Much like the way they got rid of the tram system in Dublin (which used to be fucking amazing) and most of the train lines around the country. DeValera viewed them as symbols of British Occupation

Dick Jones

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:57 am

Fred__Elliott wrote:
mooch wrote:amazing what they got away with
Much like the way they got rid of the tram system in Dublin (which used to be fucking amazing) and most of the train lines around the country. DeValera viewed them as symbols of British Occupation
What did the Romans ever do for us!

Rob

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:58 am

I worked in that ESB building

Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:58 am

darave wrote:60s really were dark times for architecture
There's a phenomenally popular FB page called 'Old Belfast Photographs' and it would actually break your heart. So many absolutely stunning, unusual buildings replaced by monstrosities in the 60s and 70s

Dick Jones

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:59 am

There's the new building on the corner of stephens green and earlsfort tce there.

They knocked one down and built a pretty much identical one in its place.

Eucrid

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:17 pm

mojo wrote:there is an ugliness about those concrete 60s buildings that I kind of love. They are of their time know
I think its an age thing, give it another 100 years and they'll seem great.