What's on your mind?

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 am

just a normal cup of tea

lyons

Mr.K

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:54 am

I often get that fear Zook. I snap myself out if it by knowing I've done it before and can repeat it.

Actually, I got bollocked in our house the other day because I said I wanted to buy Lyons for the house. That's the one thing Cork people are definitely wrong on, Barry's can go and shite.
I wrote:Fuck off, get free.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:56 am

i've had an education in tea working here. never knew there was so many different kinds.

in the early days i regularly embarrassed myself by adding milk where i shouldn't, leaving bags in, taking bags out when i shouldn't.

i came through it, though. i'm resilient.

Fred__Elliott

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 am

my ma got some tea leaves, think they're Barrys. Anyway, had a fantastic cup of tea last weekend out there. One of my best ever I'd say (Of your standard breakfast tea cup)

mooch

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:14 am

Zook wrote:i made the nicest cup of tea there and i'm afraid i'll never get one the same ever again
that's happened me a few times before.
wistful by the last drop

Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:15 am

we've never had barrys in our house

i'm not even sure if i've ever drank it

mooch

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:15 am

twinnings English breakfast tea is lovely once in a while
Barry's is usually where it's at though

Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am

that week flew in all the same didn't it

Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am

lads

i know this sounds really mean... but there's a really smelly person working here lately. the smell in the toilet after her has made a few of us GAG. what the fuck are we supposed to do?

Fred__Elliott

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am

Don't mind Barrys as much anymore, I think it was just Dub loyalty to Lyons that made me think it was shite. They'res not much difference between the two at all

eric the beard

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:35 am

surely making a smell in the toilet is fair game, zook?

Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 am

nah eric.. this isn't like a poo smell

like the smell of her... ahem... person

Fred__Elliott

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:39 am

Zook wrote:lads

i know this sounds really mean... but there's a really smelly person working here lately. the smell in the toilet after her has made a few of us GAG. what the fuck are we supposed to do?
your boss can speak with them along with HR if they are affecting the other people in the office and they complain. It's a H&S issue. Had to get it done a few times in a job before to 2 lads. One of them was a nice guy and had a genuine problem with his pores, so we just got on with it. THe other was a fucking arsehole who chose not to shower, so HR spoke to him a few times as it didnt improve.

Biggy Shackleton

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:41 am

Or, like... put in an air freshener.

Biggy Shackleton

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:42 am

Zook wrote:nah eric.. this isn't like a poo smell

Well you should definitely all get together in the office more often and continue to discuss this girls odor between ye.

eric the beard

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:42 am

or lose your ability to smell. like me.

don't ask me how to do it, though. i still don't know how i managed it.

Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 am

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Zook wrote:nah eric.. this isn't like a poo smell

Well you should definitely all get together in the office more often and continue to discuss this girls odor between ye.
i know what you're getting at but no one has even mentioned who it is. we all know though

Zook

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:45 am

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Zook wrote:lads

your boss can speak with them along with HR if they are affecting the other people in the office and they complain. It's a H&S issue. Had to get it done a few times in a job before to 2 lads. One of them was a nice guy and had a genuine problem with his pores, so we just got on with it. THe other was a fucking arsehole who chose not to shower, so HR spoke to him a few times as it didnt improve.
yeah i think something needs to be said. its really bad like.. it lingers for ages after too. i casually mentioned the smell to one of the other girls as if it was a problem with the toilet and she said she nearly got sick and went down to the pub toilet. this is what we have to resort to.. the fucking pubs toilet smells nicer

eric the beard

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:48 am

the lads in the office below ours have started coming up to use ours. they must have someone stinking out theirs.

they're real pricks about it, though. we go in to use the toilet and they are in the cubicle, chatting on the phone. then when they come out, they look at you as if you shouldn't be in there.

My Name Is Mud

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:49 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:
My Name Is Mud wrote:On a random note, Preacher (a truly amazing, incredibly fucked up adult comic book) has been commissioned to series by AMC with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg as the men behind it. Should be epic hopefully.
Seth and Evan look like they are real fans of the comic and have been trying to get this made for a few years. i hope to christ they don't f*%^ it up. Cautiously optimist about it.

Anyways, it's friday. this is good news. heading to dublin tomorrow for a friends 30th. been ages since i was up and even longer where i'll have time wander about the city for a bit too.
Cautiously optimistic is the way to be alright. Apparently it's looking like it'll be quite different in terms of story structure and things like that, but very much in the spirit of the book:
http://www.filmdivider.com/9758/amcs-pr ... -original/

AMC’s Preacher is both a drastic reinvention and faithful to the soul of the original

By Seb Patrick | on April 13, 2015 | 0 Comment
preacher1

Ever since Zack Snyder brought Watchmen to the screen in 2009, the notion that any particular comic could be considered “unfilmable” has lost a lot of weight. Maybe this has helped development move forward on the adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s Sandman, though just as with Watchmen, I suspect that most of what makes the original so noteworthy is unlikely to survive the translation.

By contrast, though, it’s never been any consideration of form that has made Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon‘s Preacher seem like a troubled proposition. Its structure, style and pacing all seem perfectly suited to a screen adaptation, and if the story is too long to be told convincingly within a movie, then surely a TV drama will be the perfect home for it.

Preacher‘s problems lie more with its distinct sensibilities. This series is filled with themes and scenes that can live happily in a Vertigo comic, away from the spotlight, but which seem likely to attract immeasurable controversy for anyone who dares bring them to a wider audience. The the problem facing anyone adapting Preacher for TV, as exec producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are in the process of doing for AMC, is in trying to retain the original’s unique spirit and style while shedding some of the more ‘difficult’ elements.

What surprises me about Rogen, Goldberg and writer Sam Catlin‘s plans for the Preacher pilot is how they’re pursuing fidelity to the original through some extreme pruning and large-scale reinvention.

The script has apparently gone through many rewrites, so it’s obvious that the finished show might change many times between now and any such time it airs on TV, but if it follows the plans as we understand them today, this will be one of the most impressive of comics-to-screen adaptations.

The early issues of the original comic set up the tropes of a “road movie” and introduced Jesse Custer, Tulip O’Hare and Cassidy when they were already on the move. Flashbacks revealed that that Jesse was recently a preacher in a small Texas town called Annville, but was now on the run after a mysterious power entered his body, simultaneously killing the town’s entire population.

In short order, Jesse learns that the entity inside his head is a new celestial creation called Genesis, that it’s potentially even more powerful than God, and that the Lord himself has abandoned heaven in fear of it.

preacher2Eventually, the comic pieced together much of Jesse’s past, and revealed why he had gone to Annville to become a preacher in the first place. Even after leaving Annville and beginning his pursuit of God, Jesse continued to wear the dog collar – and of course, the series was still called Preacher.

Even though it had originally been forced upon him, Jesse comes to see his role as something of an obligation, and this includes holding God accountable for his sins.

Within just the first issue of the comic, Jesse was already on the road and his time in the church of Annville was being framed as a brief, unpleasant footnote in his life.

This is just about the complete opposite of how the TV show begins.

The plans for the pilot episode have it starting with Jesse in place as a preacher in Annville. And then at the end, even though he’s now gained the power of Genesis, he’s still a preacher in Annville.

And this time around, Custer is not the only one of the story’s key characters to be resident in the town. Sheriff Root and Eugene are there; there’s a take on Quincannon, though they’re rather a different character than the one from the comics; it’s even implied that Tulip grew up locally too.

And there are also new characters, including Lucy Griffiths‘ as Emily. Rather than focusing on the lead trio’s roadtrip, following them around the country into new settings, the TV version seems to be set on building a community and setting it up as the epicentre of the shocking events which will follow.

That’s not to say there aren’t hints of a wider scope. Flashbacks will tease the Custer family history, including one huge departure from the comics, and the characters around Annville drop lots of hints about Jesse’s dark and dramatic time away.

Cassidy is still Irish, and so he isn’t, of course, from Annville. But he will arrive during the pilot episode, with a planned introduction that establishes him as both roguish party animal and a violent beast. As soon as he meets Jesse, the audience will immediately realise exactly why the two get on so well.

And it also takes no time at all to understand that Cassidy can’t be trusted.

He’s looking like the character who will make the transition most smoothly, and it seems very likely that the role will make a star out of Joe Gilgun, whose casting feels utterly perfect.

preacher3

Rogen, Goldberg and Catlin are taking things noticeably slower than the comic, but this strikes me as a good thing. They’ve got a great “shit goes down” moment planned for the end of the pilot, and it will have all the more impact coming after the full episode’s worth of breathing space.

And this big climax, by the way, doesn’t come from the comic but really feels like it could have done.

Indeed, that sums up the plans for TV Preacher. It’s so superficially different from the comic that many of us know and love, with different people saying different things at different times in different places, but underneath, the heart beats in perfect tune with what Ennis was doing in the book.

I recognise precisely one, and only one, line of dialogue in Catlin’s pilot script as being lifted directly from the source material, but it’s such an important line that I’m convinced that these people really get it.

It’s notable that Preacher is being developed almost concurrently with Fox’s Lucifer, another adaptation of a Vertigo comic that changes almost everything about the source material, yet exists, right now, as a pilot script that’s almost unbearable to read.

Preacher is on track to be tense, politically-charged and unpleasant in all the right places. Purists may be irritated by the sheer volume of differences, but they should at least embrace the possibilities this open up for surprise.

This feels like it could turn out to be as good a TV show as the original was a comic. That’s why it does Ennis and Dillon proud.