TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
billysexcrime

Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Just got up to date on The Handmaids tale. Really good show, Elizabeth Moss is great in it.

Just started the Keepers on Netflix. Looks decent.

fatguy2k1

Mon May 29, 2017 8:31 am

billysexcrime wrote:Just got up to date on The Handmaids tale. Really good show, Elizabeth Moss is great in it.

The Keepers is a good show. Very "making a murder" in that each episode reveles more any more of a bigger picture. Well worth a watch.

American Gods is still fucking weird. Looks amazing but still has a lot to explain.

House of Cards back this week. I like that netflix have added a catch up/review thing for some of the shows now. When you blitz through a show in a week and have to wait a year or longer a catch up is very much welcomed.

Dick Jones

Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 am

Netflix June Mailout

NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES

Flaked: Season 2

Chip returns to Venice after a short exile and finds that he is persona non grata. No store, no friends, not even a guest house to live in, it’s a long road back to the way things were.
Flaked returns June 2 only on Netflix.
Episodes: 6
Actors: Will Arnett, David Sullivan, Ruth Kearney, Lina Esco, George Basil, Travis Mills, Robert Wisdom, Mark Boone Junior, Matthew Willig, Heather Graham, Kirstie Alley, Sab Shimono, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Minerva Garcia, Jeff Daniel Phillips
Trailer : https://youtu.be/4YZTM5mr0bU

Orange Is the New Black: Season 5

The power dynamics at Litchfield shift dramatically as the inmates react to a tragedy in an explosive new season.

Launch Date: June 9
Episodes: 13
Trailer : https://youtu.be/76uwdsgbUxc

Orphan Black: Season 5

In the final season, Sarah and her sisters scramble to protect Kira from Neolutionists and unravel a mystery that stretches back more than a century.

Launch Date: June 11
Episodes: 10
Actors: Tatiana Maslany, Jordan Gavaris, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Kristian Bruun, Josh Vokey, Evelyne Brochu, Ari Millen
Trailer : https://youtu.be/UxfLQXdkUPw

You Me Her: Season 2

As their unconventional relationship evolves, Emma, Jack and Izzy become closer to one another but face new challenges.

Launch Date: June 15
Actors: Greg Poehler, Rachel Blanchard, Priscilla Faia, Melanie Papalia

The Ranch: Part 3

Colt copes with challenges in his romantic life while Beau and Maggie continue to navigate their own complicated relationship.

Launch Date: June 16
Actors: Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson, Sam Elliott, Debra Winger, Elisha Cuthbert, Kelli Goss

El Chapo: Season 1

This gripping drama series chronicles the true story of the rise, capture and escape of notorious drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán.

Original language: Spanish
Episodes: 9
Actors: Marco de la O

GLOW: Season 1

Big hair. Body slams. It's 1980s Los Angeles in this comedy series, and an unemployed actress keeps her dream alive by portraying a female wrestler.

Launch Date: June 23
Actors: Alison Brie, Britt Baron, Marc Maron, Jackie Tohn, Kim Gatewood, Rebekka Johnson, Sunita Mani, Gayle Rankin, Britney Young, Ellen Wong, Betty Gilpin, Kate Nash, Sydelle Noel, Kia Stevens, Chris Lowell, Alex Rich
Trailer : https://youtu.be/AZqDO6cTYVY

Gypsy: Season 1

A thrilling new series follows Jean Holloway, a therapist who develops dangerous and intimate relationships with the people in her patients' lives.

Launch Date: June 30
Actors: Naomi Watts, Billy Crudup
Trailer : https://youtu.be/ewYhtg3mjTY

WEEKLY EPISODES

Better Call Saul: Season 3

As Jimmy's links to multiple conspiracies and vendettas threaten to derail his new law practice, he also realizes that Chuck may be setting him up for a major fall -- professionally and personally.

Launch Date: June 6, 13 (Final ep)

Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments: Season 2B

Despite a stunning betrayal, Clary and the Shadowhunters go to war against Valentine's new army to determine the ultimate fate of the Shadow World.

Launch Date: June 6, 13, 20, 27
Actors: Matthew Daddario, Katherine McNamara, Alberto Rosende, Dominic Sherwood, Harry Shum Jr., Emeraude Toubia, Isaiah Mustafa
Episodes: 4 in June, 20 in Season 2

Chelsea -Season 2

Exciting guests, timely topics, global destinations. Chelsea returns with a fresh new format, bringing her bold perspective to a changed world.

New show every Friday
Guests: Elizabeth Moss, Don Lemon, Salma Hayek, Janet Mock, Senator Al Franken, Jimmy Carr, Mike Tyson, Lilly Singh, Cecile Richards
Interview with Amy Schumer, Goldie Hawn and Wanda Sykes https://youtu.be/ZeyhAHQoUPg

NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILMS

Lucid Dream

After searching for his abducted son for three years, a devastated father attempts to track down his missing child through lucid dreams.

Launch Date: June 2
Country of Origin: South Korea

Actors: Ko Soo, Kyung-gu Seol, Yu-chun Park, Hye-jung Kang, In-hwan Park, Ho-jin Chon

Shimmer Lake

Unfolding in reverse time, this darkly comic crime thriller follows a local sheriff hunting three bank robbery suspects, one of whom is his brother.

Launch Date: June 9

Actors: Benjamin Walker, Rainn Wilson, Stephanie Sigman and Ron Livingston
Trailer : https://youtu.be/sm_hwxNTAa0

You Get Me

After a one-night stand, Holly develops a dangerous obsession with Tyler and transfers to his high school, desperate to keep their "romance" alive.

Actors: Taylor John Smith, Halston Sage, Bella Thorne

Okja

Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Dano star in this drama about a girl who must keep a powerful company from abducting her pal, a gentle beast.

Launch Date: June 28

Actors: Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano, Devon Bostick, Lily Collins, Hie-bong Byeon, Shirley Henderson, Daniel Henshall, Yoon Jae-Moon, Woo-sik Choi, Steven Yeun
Director: Joon-ho Bong
Trailer : https://youtu.be/AjCebKn4iic

The Circle

A young woman takes a job at a powerful tech company and soon finds herself in a perilous situation involving privacy, surveillance and freedom.

Actors: Emma Watson, Tom Hanks, John Boyega, Karen Gillan, Bill Paxton, Patton Oswalt, Ellar Coltrane

NETFLIX ORIGINAL COMEDY

Oh, Hello On Broadway

Comics Nick Kroll and John Mulaney star in this stage show as two oddly inseparable New York geriatrics with curious pasts and a fondness for tuna.

Launch Date: June 13

Rory Scovel Tries Stand-Up For The First Time

Rory Scovel performs stand-up in Atlanta, where he shares his deepest thoughts about relationships, religion, politics and the "Thong Song."

Launch Date: June 20

Chris D'Elia: Man on Fire

Comic Chris D'Elia hits the stage in Vancouver and shares personal stories about marriage, not having kids, buying pants for your friends and more.

Launch Date: June 27

Marco Luque: Tamo Junto

Comedian and "CQC" host Marco Luque presents his long-running stand-up show, which he's performed for hundreds of thousands of fans in Brazil.

Launch Date: June 15

NETFLIX ORIGINAL DOCUMENTARIES

Counterpunch

This feature documentary follows three promising amateur boxers as they pursue success in a sport that has experienced a steady decline in popularity.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/p1Q4cfiho-4

Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press

Hulk Hogan’s court case against Gawker Media turns into an examination of how the wealthy can thwart freedom of the press to silence their critics.

NETFLIX ORIGINALS FOR KIDS

World of Winx: Season 2

Armed with evolved powers, the Winx fairies fight monsters and dark magic to defeat the evil Queen and return Peter Pan spirit to the World of Dreams.

Free Rein: Season 1

After befriending a mysterious horse during a summer in the English countryside, 15-year-old Zoe finds the strength to deal with issues she faces.

Little Witch Academia: Season 1

The enthusiastic but somewhat under-talented Akko, along with friends Lotte and Sucy, trains to be a witch at Luna Nova Magical Academy.

Genre: Anime

HIGHLIGHTS

Catfight

Two college frenemies whose lives aren't what they hoped meet up decades later and escalate their resentments from verbal jabs to bloody brawls.

Launch Date: June 1

Bokeh

On a romantic getaway to Iceland, a young American couple wake up one morning to discover every person on earth has disappeared. Their struggle to survive and to reconcile the mysterious event lead them to reconsider everything they know about themselves and the world.

Launch Date: June 22

Rob

Tue May 30, 2017 10:54 am

Did anyone watch Flaked. The trailer gave me the impression it was the real life version of Bojack Horseman, but obviously not a good

enemies/friends

Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am

The amount of content being pushed out by Netflix now is making it difficult to find the good stuff amongst it all

billysexcrime

Tue May 30, 2017 11:17 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:
billysexcrime wrote:Just got up to date on The Handmaids tale. Really good show, Elizabeth Moss is great in it.

The Keepers is a good show. Very "making a murder" in that each episode reveles more any more of a bigger picture. Well worth a watch.
Watched the first two episodes, grim! Pretty good so far though. I'd imagine I'm going to get angrier as it goes along!

Dick Jones

Tue May 30, 2017 11:26 am

Afaik Netflix are very coy when it comes to figures, but like...how much cash do they actually have.

All those rights for thousands of hours of TV and film presumably cost an eye-watering amount of money. Then they're absolutely knocking out their own shows and movies at a rate of knotsas, as Billy says. Then there's enormous server and streaming costs, wouldn't know where to start in costing that.

Wiki just now says it has 98 million subscribers. 7 - 10 quid a month depending on the options right?

Say an average of 8 quid a month. Are they really pulling in $700-800 million every month?

Or is my maths and economics up my arse...
Last edited by Dick Jones on Tue May 30, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooch

Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am

The Leftovers is nearly over, one episode left

it's the most enthralling, depressingly beautiful programme i've watched in a long time
i'm going to miss it

Fred__Elliott

Tue May 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Dick Jones wrote:Afaik Netflix are very coy when it comes to figures, but like...how much cash do they actually have.

All those rights for thousands of hours of TV and film presumably cost an eye-watering amount of money. Then they're absolutely knocking out their own shows and movies at a rate of knotsas, as Billy says. Then there's enormous server and streaming costs, wouldn't know where to start in costing that.

Wiki just now says it has 98 million subscribers. 7 - 10 quid a month depending on the options right?

Say an average of 8 quid a month. Are they really pulling in $700-800 million every month?

it's purely revenue based coz they dont do ads, so it'd have to be close to that

stateofyouboy

Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm

mooch wrote:The Leftovers is nearly over, one episode left

it's the most enthralling, depressingly beautiful programme i've watched in a long time
i'm going to miss it
about 3 ep into 3rd season, some craic, madness

Phierstarter

Tue May 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Dick Jones wrote:Afaik Netflix are very coy when it comes to figures, but like...how much cash do they actually have.

it's purely revenue based coz they dont do ads, so it'd have to be close to that
Wouldn't they have in-show ads though.

mooch

Tue May 30, 2017 2:35 pm

stateofyouboy wrote:

i'm going to miss it
it's brilliant though isn't it??
i mean as long as you don't try to figure it out and just go along with the crazy

enemies/friends

Tue May 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Didn't realise The Leftovers had come back. Delighted. I've been looking something else to watch.

stateofyouboy

Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 pm

yeah we love it! kinda like the movie get out and netflix's OA, theyre not afraid to be a bit whacky and not really make sense of the sake of being great craic

Rob

Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 pm

mooch wrote:
stateofyouboy wrote:

i'm going to miss it
it's brilliant though isn't it??
i mean as long as you don't try to figure it out and just go along with the crazy
I've decided to view it just as a show purely about grief and kinda ignore the crazy shit until it's all 100% up in your face (like last night). It's good enthralling tele, for sure

mooch

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am

is anyone watching fargo s3?

haven't started it yet but i think 2 ewan mcgregors might be too much?

Eucrid

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:42 am

Haven't watched it but the generally response seems negative at the moment.

mooch

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:44 am

yeh compared to last year the world seems very quiet about it now.

mooch

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:45 am

god i miss imdb message boards.
where do people go to talk about shows anymore?

Eucrid

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am

I don't use it much but forums.previously.tv might be a good replacement for you.