TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Bojack is the only truly great streaming show so far. Stranger Things and all that are decent but I've forgotten all about them a week after finishing. Bojack stays with you, especially those penultimate episodes where shit always goes so far south.

enemies/friends

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Do you think they don't stay with you cos of the way we consume them though or as they're not good?

If you think of Breaking Bad and the Fly episode. I had a whole week to think about it and after initially thinking wtf with that week to digest and reflect and the episode stayed with me.

If you watched that in the middle of 6 episodes back to back you'd just forget about it and lose the impact of such episodes.

Phierstarter

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm

^ agree
Also don't get the bojack buzz.

Eucrid

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 am

enemies/friends wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 pm
Do you think they don't stay with you cos of the way we consume them though or as they're not good?

If you think of Breaking Bad and the Fly episode. I had a whole week to think about it and after initially thinking wtf with that week to digest and reflect and the episode stayed with me.

If you watched that in the middle of 6 episodes back to back you'd just forget about it and lose the impact of such episodes.
I think the binge watching is an issue but I reckon its less to do with how we consume it and more to do with how they make it when they know its going to be binged. For instance I watched the first 3 seasons of the Wire in the space of 2 days and its still a much better show than anything Netflix has done. A lot of the most successful Netflix shows for me aren't full on dramas anyway. Things like Stranger Things, OITNB, Glow, Jessica Jones, etc Stuff that had the potential to be top drama has fallen short. House of Cards very quickly became more ridiculous than Scandal, Sense8 was hugely ambitious with something to say but never quite find its feet, Ozark and Narcos are just cookie cutter, derivative crime dramas, Bloodline is pretty mediocre. Mindhunter started well and could get great but its got a long way to go.

enemies/friends

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am

Fair, and yeah, I suppose if you're writing and creating something that you know will be watched a different way maybe you don't put the same effort (for want of a better word) into the crafting of it

Eucrid

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am

I think its something they're figuring out as they go along too. Seems the best Netflix series are a bit shorter than the standard 13 for cable dramas. I think the inconsistent episode length is a double edged sword too, it frees them up but the editing can a little less sharp with it.

Dick Jones

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 am

Finished watching Star Trek Discovery. It was OK, it had its moments, but overall very disappointed by it.

Going by the ending there
Looks like they're going to do again what JJ did to cheat the original timeline. Split into a parrallel universe where they can subsequently go any way they want without being shackled by previous events. Which is fucking bullshit when you think about it.

Spore drive to the delta quadrant to meet the Borg, anyone?

Rob

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 am

Eucrid wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
I think its something they're figuring out as they go along too. Seems the best Netflix series are a bit shorter than the standard 13 for cable dramas. I think the inconsistent episode length is a double edged sword too, it frees them up but the editing can a little less sharp with it.
found it strange one of the episodes in Mindhunter finishing after like 32 mins.

Like in reality, stories should be able to finish up in varying length. but it still felt odd.

enemies/friends

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 am
Finished watching Star Trek Discovery. It was OK, it had its moments, but overall very disappointed by it.

Going by the ending there
Looks like they're going to do again what JJ did to cheat the original timeline. Split into a parrallel universe where they can subsequently go any way they want without being shackled by previous events. Which is fucking bullshit when you think about it.

Spore drive to the delta quadrant to meet the Borg, anyone?
I've been watching it week by week, is it available in full somewhere?

I've enjoyed it overall so far. Definitely a step up from Enterprise anyway. It's trying to be more of a drama than previous series I think. I'm not sure yet of that's a positive or negative considering what you expect of Star Trek

Dick Jones

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:06 pm

It's on Netflix sure.

enemies/friends

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Only 9 episodes on Netflix so far?

Edit: Ah, they're taking a mid-season winter break.

I didn't read your spoiler until now cos I thought you'd gone further on than that :D

Phierstarter

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 pm

I liked that walking dead episode, and the king in general.

Lola

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am
Anyone see Nowhere Fast last night, RTE's latest stab at a sitcom. With the emphasis on stab.

Christ, it was fucking terrible. The main one, Alison Spittle, who also wrote and created it, cant act for shit. It looks awful, camera and lighting is total garbage and the dialogue was painful. Comedy or not, people just don't talk like that.

Yet, bizarrely, people falling over themselves to say how much they love it on twitter. Glowing reviews. They mentioned abortion in it you see, which makes it dark and daring.
Alison Spittle is the current Irish comedy darling. You can't really criticise her because she's so 'unique and different'. Seemed a bit of an odd choice for writing your own show - that you star in - to give all the best lines to someone else

Dick Jones

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm

This is pretty poor. Very poor, in fact.

phpBB [video]

mooch

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm

i don't like alison spittle at all, i don't think she's funny
but the radio & internet seems to be trying to get me to like her
i feel like i'm not getting "it"?

Eucrid

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 am

Why are all the new Irish comics so fucking terrible? Al Porter, that one above, Aisling Bea, etc

Rob

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 am

last two episodes of Mr. Robot were intense

Dick Jones

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am

I like Maeve Higgins. Saw her at the Iveagh gardens gig a few months ago and I was impressed by the fact that she had a decent amount of material based on news and showbizzy stuff from that past couple of days. Which was also funny.

A lot of comics lean on the same jokes for months and months, years even.
Last edited by Dick Jones on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

stateofyouboy

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am

5 episodes into sinner on netflix and loving it.

enemies/friends

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm actually thinking of ditching Netflix now.

Too many shows I start then either forget or ditch.

Want to go back to quality not quantity and watch things on a week by week basis. I'm not sure there's anything on Netflix I watch that I'd really miss

(We also got Sky back so have Sky Box Sets available if I want to binge watch anything).