TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Eucrid

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:16 pm

snips wrote:
Eucrid wrote:Thought The Night Of finished off nicely.
a lot of things left open but not in an annoying way.
It was ok, I found a lot of the courtroom scenes a bit shit. Bit dumb like.
Some of the decision were a bit far fetched around the trial I thought but the way it was acted, staged, etc kept me pretty entertained.

snips

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Eucrid wrote:
snips wrote:
Eucrid wrote:Thought The Night Of finished off nicely.
a lot of things left open but not in an annoying way.
It was ok, I found a lot of the courtroom scenes a bit shit. Bit dumb like.
Some of the decision were a bit far fetched around the trial I thought but the way it was acted, staged, etc kept me pretty entertained.
Yeah I'd agree.. That's basically a much more articulately put way of saying what I was trying to get at :)

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Finished it last night. Not great to be honest.
Very disappointed with the last couple of episodes, once it got to court really.
While going through the series, i was having a hard time figuring out where the writers were coming from, what sort of a show they were going for.
Having seen it in its entirety now, i guess the intention was to create a show to generate water-cooler talk about whether he did or didn't do it.

Becoming a bad-ass in prison .... "did you kill her?" "I don't know" and then a hung jury... all seems to be designed to cast doubt.
i can't put my finger on why, but it just didn't nail it. Hard to put my finger on why, but i just never really questioned his guilt or innocence.
Maybe because the scene in the opening episode didn't do enough to make me think he might have done it.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Maybe because the scene in the opening episode didn't do enough to make me think he might have done it.
Yeah thats what made me think he didn't do it. I don't think they left it ambiguous whether he was guilty in the end though. I fully felt he was innocent when they gave us another guy (out of nowhere) to blame it on.

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Yeah thats what made me think he didn't do it. I don't think they left it ambiguous whether he was guilty in the end though. I fully felt he was innocent when they gave us another guy (out of nowhere) to blame it on.
They had more on Nasir than they had on that guy though. A bit of a motive, no more no less, than the personal trainer, and a photo of him at a toll bridge. "Help me go get this guy" felt as intentionally half cocked to me as the investigation into Nasir.

If they weren't going for ambiguity, then a hung jury is fucking appalling writing.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:19 pm

The hung jury leaves a lack of resolution for the character. So he goes back to his local cafe and people are looking at him suspiciously etc The new suspect thats never been in it before and acts guilty as shit when confronted seems pretty clear cut that the viewer can assume he's the actual murderer, plus we get the scene where the DA asks Box to help her get him.

Phierstarter

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm with Euclid on this. Seemed pretty clear cut, if a little undramatic given the build up.
Though i was half anticipating something tragic happening right up to the point he left the prison.
So in that regard, if that was the alternative, i was relieved. That would've been rushed and cheap.

In summary, like the first season of True Detective, it had more legs

maradara

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:55 pm

the worst thing for me was producing a bank statement with 300k missing from it, just before the murder, with no knowledge of it from the defense. That was pretty lazy all round, especially given how desperately the defense were looking for another suspect

Rob

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:20 pm

night of
one thing that bothered me that pretty much told us as the viewers, and could have been used as a reasonable argument in the court that Nas didn't do it was the lack of blood on him considering the extent of the murder

Eucrid

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Yeah Rob that was absolute bullshit.

Phierstarter

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Narcos. Not really a spoiler, but there's some soft sensitive souls here, so
Bam, there's more :)

mooch

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Rob wrote:night of
one thing that bothered me that pretty much told us as the viewers, and could have been used as a reasonable argument in the court that Nas didn't do it was the lack of blood on him considering the extent of the murder
that bothered me so much

stateofyouboy

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 am

ha yeah we were saying that as well, that was an odd one. still loved the show though despite the holes that can be picked

Rusty Shackleford

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 am

Anyone watch that new Dara O'Briain show about video games?

snips

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Phierstarter wrote:
I'm with Euclid on this. Seemed pretty clear cut, if a little undramatic given the build up.
Though i was half anticipating something tragic happening right up to the point he left the prison.
So in that regard, if that was the alternative, i was relieved. That would've been rushed and cheap.

In summary, like the first season of True Detective, it had more legs
First season of True detective was lightyears better than this show and they also wrapped it up very well I thought.

Phierstarter

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Am i likely to like that OJ docudrama even if i don't care about OJ?
I didn't really know about Pablo Escobar but enjoyed Narcos, yet that recent Netflix one about someone who was stupid and they said he didn't do it, did nothing for me.

Phierstarter

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:47 pm

citizen snips wrote:extratorrent is my new go to since kat died. The interface is pretty friendly though still not as good as kat of course.

Watching Bojack and saw that underwater episode ye were on about in here, I thought it was brilliant anyway.
Whole thing doesn't really do it for me, but yup, best so far.

Eucrid

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:15 am

Phierstarter wrote:Am i likely to like that OJ docudrama even if i don't care about OJ?
I didn't really know about Pablo Escobar but enjoyed Narcos, yet that recent Netflix one about someone who was stupid and they said he didn't do it, did nothing for me.
It's not that focused on Oj himself. More on the legal teams.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:20 am

Phierstarter wrote:Am i likely to like that OJ docudrama even if i don't care about OJ?
Skip it, its shite. Any show that casts John Travolta and David Schwimmer, you know what you're getting.

Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 series instead, Made In America. Waaay better. You don't need to care about OJ, or sport. It goes broader than that, goes back through the Jim Crow South, Watts Riots, Rodney King riots, and gives a much fuller picture of why it was very easy for OJ's legal team to use racism in the LAPD as a focal point during the trial.

Eucrid

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:52 am

Watched the first episode of Atlanta last night, New Donald Glover comedy on FX. Seems very promising. Had a few genuine laughs and the story seems like it's gonna be good.