TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
darave

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:05 pm

enemies/friends wrote:I think the scale is why I don't rate it among the top level. It's too complex or something.
The Books are far more complex with an entire history of backstory and loads of foreshadowing.

I think that when the producers had source material to follow they were doing a great job but now that they're in uncharted territory they're getting out of their dept. It took GRRM 11 years to write the last 2 books and hes already 5 years in to the next.

Eucrid

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:06 pm

ishouldcoco wrote:I agree. There's nothing like it, ever, so it kinda stands alone. But it's not in the same league as Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc. It's chalk and cheese really. I guess you could compare it to something like Star Trek, but not "real" programmes. It's fun and I'm enjoying this season more than recent ones, but it's all a bit silly, predictable, and badly put together story wise(which was probably impossible given the subject matter).
Yeah Star Trek is a good comparison. At the start it seemed like it might transcend its genre-ness but its gone the other way now and is very, very much a genre show full of all the tropes that go along with that. Overall I don't think its a very well made program in terms of pacing and structure. There is too much wheel spinning and the whole thing is too fractured. It can still pull of some amazing moments but it can also be an extremely frustrating thing to watch too.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Any complaints I'd have about it are far more to do with the predictability of GRRMs writing, and less to do with the show.
In terms of tropes, that's all GRRMs work. It's fantasy lit, and was written right when that stuff started taking off. What books didn't take their cues from LOTR.

In terms of production values, screenplay, directing etc, I think its top notch. It's the base material that hold it down.
And given the scale of the project, multiple locations and film crews, it's even more impressive.
It's been a huge undertaking, the sort that is unlikely to be undertaken again.
We'll miss it when it's gone.

Phierstarter

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Things will get bigger, if anything.
Unless there's another recession.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Phierstarter wrote:Things will get bigger, if anything.
Bigger in quantity, not in quality I'd say.

I'm losing count of the number of shows these days being touted as "must see tv." Hen they're so average.
It seems that anything that gets tagged with 'Netflix Original' gets overhyped these days.

Eucrid

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:30 pm

I disagree. The location production is mostly excellent (bar the odd Dorne type location), costumes are great, etc but I find a lot of the direction and very much the screenplays less than stellar. Casting is very inconsistent too. I think its the big moments from the source material that save it. I think the predictability is a show issue too. Reading a book alone from cover to cover is very different from having that story dished out to you week to week. I think one of the biggest issues too is that B&W never seem to work around things that may seem more obvious to TV viewers, the source material for instance means Jon has to come back but it doesn't mean they have to make his death a season ending cliff hanger and then spend 3 episodes of will he, wont he when they come back, finishing again on him waking as a moment designed to finish the episode with a surprise. They don't understand audience expectations.

Dick Jones

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:31 pm

There's one called Wheel of Time that's in development at the moment.

Haven't read it but going by wiki it's a ridiculous lotr rip off.
Moiraine, and her Warder Lan, arrive in the village of Emond's Field, secretly aware that servants of the Dark One are searching for a young man living in the area. Moiraine is unable to determine which of three youths (Rand al'Thor, Matrim Cauthon, or Perrin Aybara) is the Dragon Reborn, and leads all three of them from the Two Rivers, along with their friend Egwene al'Vere. Nynaeve al'Meara, the village wise-woman, later joins them. Gleeman Thom Merrilin also travels with the group. The first novel depicts their flight from various agents of the Shadow and their attempts to reach the Aes Sedai city of Tar Valon. Thereafter the protagonists are frequently split into different groups and pursue different missions toward the cause of the Dragon Reborn, sometimes thousands of miles apart. As they struggle to unite the various kingdoms against the Dark One's forces, their task is complicated by rulers of the nations who refuse to lose their autonomy; by the zealots styling themselves 'the Children of the Light', who do not believe in the prophecies; and by the Seanchan, the descendants of a long-lost colony of Artur Hawkwing's empire. The Aes Sedai also become divided on how to deal with the Dragon Reborn.

Eucrid

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:33 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Phierstarter wrote:Things will get bigger, if anything.
Bigger in quantity, not in quality I'd say.

I'm losing count of the number of shows these days being touted as "must see tv." Hen they're so average.
It seems that anything that gets tagged with 'Netflix Original' gets overhyped these days.
The quality will be there, the scope/budget may have to be less.

Lola

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Eucrid wrote:I disagree. The location production is mostly excellent (bar the odd Dorne type location), costumes are great, etc but I find a lot of the direction and very much the screenplays less than stellar. Casting is very inconsistent too. I think its the big moments from the source material that save it. I think the predictability is a show issue too. Reading a book alone from cover to cover is very different from having that story dished out to you week to week. I think one of the biggest issues too is that B&W never seem to work around things that may seem more obvious to TV viewers, the source material for instance means Jon has to come back but it doesn't mean they have to make his death a season ending cliff hanger and then spend 3 episodes of will he, wont he when they come back, finishing again on him waking as a moment designed to finish the episode with a surprise. They don't understand audience expectations.
They do and they don't. I could have screamed at the TV when they cut away from the Tower of Joy like that because they knew we were all waiting for it

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Lola wrote:Well that's not really fair surely. The scale of it alone, the effort, the details ... no?
Don't think that's what top shows are measured against. Acting, direction, plotting both in micro and macrocosm (which is something GOT in particular suffers from these days - episodes jump from one place to the next with almost zero thematic or aesthetic overlap, and the overarching theme each week has gotten particularly difficult to discern, if in fact there is one at all). GOT is off the pace in a lot of those regards, and has been since season 3 IMO.
Part of it is the source material itself - impossible to adapt it accurately without stumbling into all these cohesion problems - but they've stuck too rigidly to lead characters themselves in the show when those characters have been doing nothing as well.

Dick Jones

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Just thinking about GoT
Entertainment, Joe etc running with the rumours about Lady Stoneheart too this week.

If Michelle Fairley was filming in NI and they managed to keep it under wraps, it would have to be a serious cloak and dagger job.

Not impossible, she's hardly Gaga or whatever in celebrity spotting terms, but still.

Course if it's just one scene or two for the finale, then she'd be in and out in a day or two.

Phierstarter

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Rachel Griffiths is savage.

Dick Jones

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 am

GoT
Edmure and Jaime extensively discussed what made Catelynn tick, plus Brienne talked about her a good bit too. That's a bit suspicious, with all the rumours on twitter etc.

ishouldcoco

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:13 am

Thought it was one of the worst episodes in a long time. Some funny "bants" from Hound and Robson & Jerome, but the Arya storyline was pathetic, as was Jamie and Tall Lady, and the castle, and the Dragon slave land shite. Meh.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:21 am

GoT
yeah it was fairly fucking shite, bar the Hound. They've absolutely ruined everything with Arya. they've made a complete farce of Jaimie's arc as well. I reckon they're going to kill him off at the end of the season. Daenarys arriving back just in the knick of time to save us from another awful scene with Tyrion and the two mongoloids

ishouldcoco

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:23 am

there was just so many cringe inducing moments. And jesus yes the mongoloids. Abysmal.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:29 am

GoT
Jaime waving to Brienne. Jesus fucking christ

The "I choose violence" part, probably the one scene I've been looking forward to from the trailer the most. And he only kills one faith militant

Dick Jones

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:32 am

Yeah why did Brienne have to leave on the sly anyway? She said she'd fight if the Tullys wanted to; they didn't so she could have just walked out the front door and said see ya pal.
Last edited by Dick Jones on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooch

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:55 am

with a dainty little wave....

i_ate_cats

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:09 pm

GOT question...
What's the rumour that the 'little birds' are hearing?