TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
User avatar
mojo
Posts: 3948
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:42 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 am

Lola wrote:
mojo wrote:
Lola wrote:
I worked on that episode as Ygritte's stunt double

The set is full 360 degrees with a full scale working wall and lift, full walk ways, towers - everything. There was very little need for CGI.

To give you an idea, if you were to pick a random room in that set, regardless of whether it's being used or not, it's fully painted, furnished and kitted out like a real castle. They even have spiral staircases you can't even see on camera. It's absolutely fucking incredible.

thats so cool lola! Did you get paid extra for the stunt stuff? Could you actually fire the arrows? Did you have training for it?
You do! I had the full costume and wig and everything. They even gave me a trailer. That costume is ridiculously comfortable by the way. She has a pair of Vans underneath all that fur around her feet.

I can fire the arrows and hit targets but they gave me training anyway. I was the only girl at boot camp so it was brilliant craic. I also got to say 'You know nothing Jon Snow', whilst dressed as Ygritte to Kit Harington. Bless him, he indulged me. 60% of the time you have to mime the shooting though to allow for CGI if they need it. That and the amount of people fighting made it too dangerous
omg i knew you worked as an extra but i didn't know to this extent! I am in awe of you right now to be honest. Super impressed. I only get to say the you know nothing line to my son. So give give us more info? Where was the castle black stuff filmed, inside the titanic studios? Who is the biggest diva on set. And are kit harrington and rose leslie still going out or what

User avatar
never_green
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:30 am

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 am

Lola wrote:I worked on that episode
as Ygritte's stunt double

The set is full 360 degrees with a full scale working wall and lift, full walk ways, towers - everything. There was very little need for CGI.

To give you an idea, if you were to pick a random room in that set, regardless of whether it's being used or not, it's fully painted, furnished and kitted out like a real castle. They even have spiral staircases you can't even see on camera. It's absolutely fucking incredible.
so that 360 degree shot was one take? wow, impressive stuff, i'm pretty sure there's plenty of ygrette stunt shots scattered in there too

you must be delighted to be a part of it. i still can't get over the spectacle of it all and a tv show pulling something like that off shouldn't be taken for granted.

imagine an alternative world where rte bought the rights to GOT and attempted that episode

User avatar
enemies/friends
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 am

Ygrette is pretty hot too, that's some compliment to be her double I'd say

User avatar
JasonManic
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Helpline Operator

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am

Yeah fair play Lola. So when is Rose Leslie joining board?

User avatar
JasonManic
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Helpline Operator

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 am

Fred__Elliott wrote:in a season or two everyone will be on the same page with regards to GoT. The show only has book 4 & 5 to catch up on, and both of those ran side by side time wise, they were just split up geographically. While were all waiting for the next book, the show will catch up and go past it

Hopefully with HBO stopping Boardwalk at the end of the next season, they'll increase the budget for GoT and maybe stretch it out to 13 eps a season

Book spoiler!
I'd say next season will be most (if not all) of book 4 and the first half of 5. Then season 6 would be the second half of book five. I mean, how can you make a full series out of book 4? It'd be shite.

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:Lola - how long ago did you film your bits for last nights episode?
That was back towards the end of last year. Start of November I think?

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 am

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Was that you that took that pretty nasty looking tumble off the lean-to roof!?

It cut to Ygritte and she popped up form the ground, not a bother on her, but whoever rolled off the edge of that roof looked like they took a bit a a ding when the hit the deck. Arms and legs akimbo.
That was actually another double! I'm not quite at the 'falling off things' stage. I'm just her stand in and archery double

Biggy Shackleton
Posts: 2701
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:17 am

Well fair play Lola, you played your part in as good a scene on tv as there has been in a long long time.

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:18 am

mojo wrote:
omg i knew you worked as an extra but i didn't know to this extent! I am in awe of you right now to be honest. Super impressed. I only get to say the you know nothing line to my son. So give give us more info? Where was the castle black stuff filmed, inside the titanic studios? Who is the biggest diva on set. And are kit harrington and rose leslie still going out or what
It has only been a gradual thing but I get a lot of GOT work because I'm luckily the same height and build as some of the actresses

The Castle Black set is in an old quarry beside Carrickfergus. They've basically painted the entire side of the quarry so 'The Wall' is actually there. There's no green screen used at that set and it's all outdoors which makes it fucking freezing all the time. There were no divas! It tends to be a fairly nice cast all around. Kit Harington and Rose Leslie broke up. In fact, they had not long broken up when we shot that so it was a wee bit awkward. Yer man who plays Sam - John - is the nicest bloke in the world as an aside

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 am

never_green wrote:
Lola wrote:I worked on that episode
as Ygritte's stunt double

The set is full 360 degrees with a full scale working wall and lift, full walk ways, towers - everything. There was very little need for CGI.

To give you an idea, if you were to pick a random room in that set, regardless of whether it's being used or not, it's fully painted, furnished and kitted out like a real castle. They even have spiral staircases you can't even see on camera. It's absolutely fucking incredible.
so that 360 degree shot was one take? wow, impressive stuff, i'm pretty sure there's plenty of ygrette stunt shots scattered in there too

you must be delighted to be a part of it. i still can't get over the spectacle of it all and a tv show pulling something like that off shouldn't be taken for granted.

imagine an alternative world where rte bought the rights to GOT and attempted that episode
It was just one take yes. The amount of detail and time and effort that goes into it is just insane.

Delighted is the word. For a girl - where parts are spare - I've managed to get into some amazing scenes. I was there for both weddings too.

User avatar
Fred__Elliott
Posts: 3419
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:20 am

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:The CGI was pretty good too for once
The giants and the mammoths looked great
Could have done with a bit more of Ghost leppin' around ripping out esophaguses, seeing as the implication was that he sort of turn the battle in their favour once he was set loose.

And why the fuck would Jon Snow head off north of the wall without taking Ghost with him?
Anyway, Jake, other book-readers, tell me this:
Does Benji Stark ever make a return?
Struck me as a potentially great character even though i'd say he was only it it for 5 minutes total.
Not a spoiler, but its book related
so far he hasnt shown up. he is frequently in Jon's thoughts in the books. Personally I dont think he will, I think he's just a device that the author used to get Jon to the wall. There are other massive theories about him though, but I dont believe em. I reckon he's dead, and you'll never find out

User avatar
fatguy2k1
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 11:37 am
Location: Post Kül

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 am

Lola wrote:
fatguy2k1 wrote:Lola - how long ago did you film your bits for last nights episode?
That was back towards the end of last year. Start of November I think?
i've always wondered how far in advance they shot the show to get in any cgi needed.

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:26 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:
Lola wrote:
fatguy2k1 wrote:Lola - how long ago did you film your bits for last nights episode?
That was back towards the end of last year. Start of November I think?
i've always wondered how far in advance they shot the show to get in any cgi needed.
Pre-production starts usually about July time and they continue until the start of the new year but there are a couple of units shooting continuously. 'Wolf Unit' in Belfast have the bulk of the internal and external work and 'Dragon Unit' are usually abroad. They just edit as they go to allow the time for CGI etc

User avatar
mojo
Posts: 3948
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:42 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:30 am

Lola wrote:
mojo wrote:
omg i knew you worked as an extra but i didn't know to this extent! I am in awe of you right now to be honest. Super impressed. I only get to say the you know nothing line to my son. So give give us more info? Where was the castle black stuff filmed, inside the titanic studios? Who is the biggest diva on set. And are kit harrington and rose leslie still going out or what
It has only been a gradual thing but I get a lot of GOT work because I'm luckily the same height and build as some of the actresses

The Castle Black set is in an old quarry beside Carrickfergus. They've basically painted the entire side of the quarry so 'The Wall' is actually there. There's no green screen used at that set and it's all outdoors which makes it fucking freezing all the time. There were no divas! It tends to be a fairly nice cast all around. Kit Harington and Rose Leslie broke up. In fact, they had not long broken up when we shot that so it was a wee bit awkward. Yer man who plays Sam - John - is the nicest bloke in the world as an aside
thats awesome. Can't believe there is no green screen! They have a huge budget though and the set design is ridiculous. Yeah i bet it was tots awks for the two of them. That sam chap seems like a lovely guy, he did an interview on thronecast. Any other behind the scenes romances/goss? Im loving this nosiness

ishouldcoco
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:36 am

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 am

Yeah awesome epic episode of GoT. Even more so that Lola was in it :lol: You still single Lola? ;)

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am

mojo wrote:
Lola wrote:
mojo wrote:
omg i knew you worked as an extra but i didn't know to this extent! I am in awe of you right now to be honest. Super impressed. I only get to say the you know nothing line to my son. So give give us more info? Where was the castle black stuff filmed, inside the titanic studios? Who is the biggest diva on set. And are kit harrington and rose leslie still going out or what
It has only been a gradual thing but I get a lot of GOT work because I'm luckily the same height and build as some of the actresses

The Castle Black set is in an old quarry beside Carrickfergus. They've basically painted the entire side of the quarry so 'The Wall' is actually there. There's no green screen used at that set and it's all outdoors which makes it fucking freezing all the time. There were no divas! It tends to be a fairly nice cast all around. Kit Harington and Rose Leslie broke up. In fact, they had not long broken up when we shot that so it was a wee bit awkward. Yer man who plays Sam - John - is the nicest bloke in the world as an aside
thats awesome. Can't believe there is no green screen! They have a huge budget though and the set design is ridiculous. Yeah i bet it was tots awks for the two of them. That sam chap seems like a lovely guy, he did an interview on thronecast. Any other behind the scenes romances/goss? Im loving this nosiness
I know! The only green screen on any set I've seen was for simulating the ocean with Dany's boat. Everything else is usually there. The Kings Landing set for example in the Paint Hall is so intricate and detailed that once you're inside it, with the breeze machines etc, you'd swear you were sitting in a hot climate. They use the CGI as little as possible. Same for the Winterfell sets etc.

It was awkward but they really only had one day shooting together thankfully. The rest was us doubles filling in the gaps.

Hmmm. I can't think of any romances but the cast are all mad craic. They all drink together so you're always running into them in the bars in town.

Lola
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 am

ishouldcoco wrote:Yeah awesome epic episode of GoT. Even more so that Lola was in it :lol: You still single Lola? ;)
Yes :(

ishouldcoco
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:36 am

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 am

Shocking. If you wanna do the long term thing I'll throw my hat into the ring :lol:

Seriously, a few pics of you on set and in costume and the fan boys will be queueing up.

User avatar
piepiepress
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 am

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 am

LOLA! that is so fucking cool ! good for you

User avatar
Rusty Shackleford
Posts: 3648
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:21 am

ishouldcoco wrote:Shocking. If you wanna do the long term thing I'll throw my hat into the ring :lol:

Seriously, a few pics of you on set and in costume and the fan boys will be queueing up.
Every womans dream man, a GOT fanboy

Post Reply