Dogs!

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
dog

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:53 pm

I got a new puppy before Christmas there. its a cross between a black Labrador and a dog. mother and baby are doing fine. it's only a few weeks but its already walking.
dog

dwayne

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:22 pm

I really want all these puppies from DPR, but this one especially;

mooch

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:59 am

I wish dog posted more

Zook

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:18 am

Me too.. He was great

voidoid

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:16 pm

So I've moved back into my house in Crumlin after leaving 5 years ago.

The old bollox who's garden backed on to me used to have the most miserable and bored German Pointer in the tiny garden all day everyday. Thing would bark whenever he saw us and was terrified of us. Thought about calling the DSPCA a few times. Never did because despite him not looking after the dog properly he wasn't abusive and loved the dog.

Well the dog died a few years ago but apparently the dope bought another German Pointer. The dog is still young, probably under 2 but the thing is bored and miserable and has been left out in his sizable but barren kennel every night the last couple of weeks.

We've introduced ourselves and have walked the dog a few times. He stinks but is really energetic and friendly. Seems intelligent so hopefully can train him.

I suspect my girlfriend is going to gradually but eventually steal him. It's a lot of dog to take on though. She's dropped around blankets and she's picking up some worming medicine today

Eucrid

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Fair play to yis. Its about the only thing you could have done I reckon. Can't imagine the ISPCA or whoever taking a dog away for under exercising it. From what I can see that'd be half the dogs in Ireland.

voidoid

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Ah it's a bit worse than that.
He's under fed and overall neglected. But yeah it's not really an abuse case.

Yesterday the dog knocked over part of the fence while the old guy was out. (reality is my girlfriend took part of it down) Only thing in his kennel was the single blanket my girlfriend left over last week.

The last dog he had ended up in an awful state. They wouldn't of taken this younger dog away but they might have the previous one. We just wouldn't be able to stand by and watch it happen all over again.

The old guy is a small frail man in his 80s who apparently had a quadruple bypass last year. He's not able to look after himself. He's not the one we can hear crying to us though when we're in our kitchen.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:28 pm

that's a tricky one alright. i take it you never see family / friends calling round at yer man's house?

voidoid

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Just the once.
Bigger guy in his 50s came out to the garden with a lead.

Thought great! The dog does get walked a bit. I nearly blew up and was ready to storm over when i saw him time him up in the corner of the yard.

Then some workmen came out to do some work on the house so I stood down.

We can't see the front of the house so we don't know if anyone calls round. He's lived there forever and is pleasent and well liked. Lad in work lives across the road but he reckons the dog gets taken out everyday so I don't think he's too reliable a source

Eucrid

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Sounds like a tricky spot. Old folks just shouldn't have anything bigger than a lap dog. Even the decent older people who can still go a bit struggle to manage them. I suppose all you can do is keep doing what you're doing and try to help the dog as much as possible. Pointers are such handsome dogs when they're looked after properly too.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:33 pm

would ye be up for just taking it for daily walks and the like? if you say to the aul fella first then i'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with it.

that's about all ye can do really, either that or totally ignore the situation (which you'll not be likely to do).

it's hard not to get emotionally attached though, very very tricky situation now that you know it's happening right on your door step.

voidoid

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Well that's what we're trying but just can't with both of us working. Which is the very reason we've not already got a dog. Even then we'd of gone smaller. We've been over to the house and the guy's delighted for us to walk the dog. Girlfriend dropped over a note explaining how he got over the fence and we didn't mind if the owner didn't. We'll see what kind of response that gets.

If we can't get the dog trained to listen and return to us and we can't let him off the lead then there's no way to get him half the exercise he'll need.

They're retrievers and intelligent at least so there's some hope, but until the evenings get longer there's little we can do outside of the weekends.

Judging my girlfriend i'm pretty sure the fence is going to "fall down" quite soon anyway.

The dog's handsome and nowhere near the wreck the last dog ended up. This dope couldn't handle a pointer fifteen years ago. The house was originally my Grandparents and as kids we were always warned to stay away from the back fence because of the dog so this has been going on for decades with various dogs.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 am

My ma got a puppy before xmas, Pointer and Boxer cross. she's just deadly. really friendly, jumps all over everyone bar my nana. Had her out for a walk there on Sunday and 3 different people stopped me to ask about her in the space of a 15 minute walk.

My ma is taking her to obedience classes she's picking up everything really quickly. She wont eat her food until my ma gives her the go ahead, even if my ma walks out of the house.

Dick Jones

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:27 pm

dwayne

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Guys, look at these fucking puppies;

https://www.facebook.com/DonegalPetResc ... 0136393076

mojo

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:14 pm

omg those puppies <3

Dick Jones

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Crufts!

dwayne

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Ah jeez;

https://www.facebook.com/DonegalPetResc ... 8191696937
Labrador/husky mix in Donegal Pet Rescue

Phierstarter

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:39 pm

mojo

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:09 pm

that is one cute dog

are you looking for a dog to adopt dwayne? or do you just torture yourself looking at the pics