GOT Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Dick Jones

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:GOT - ep3
the pace is really flying at the moment. The raids on both casterlyrock and highgarden would have taken an episode each in seasons past. Hopefully we get one massive battle before the end of this season.
The writers really have the end in sight and have to tie up plots & position characters for it.
Brilliant writing last night, but I also feel like the accelerated pace let it down in a way.

Casterly Rock was always this mysterious presence in the show, the Lannisters' seat, a strategic stronghold for all Westeros and an impenetrable fortress.

Then after six years of that, we get a quick glimpse of it, the unsullied sack the place not a bother, then Jaime says...agh it wasn't really that important.

It made sense in the story I guess, but it sort of burst the bubble too.

Absolute stormer of an episode though. So many great scenes.
Last edited by Dick Jones on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am

GoT
agree re Casterly Rock, disapointment. Was most excited to see that along with the Citadel(and consequently Oldtown)

I went into stupid fanboy mode when Jon was talking with Dany and Varys walked in. Thought he was going to tell her to stop being a stupid cunt, you're his aunty, he's a targaryen.

Im quite happy with the pace of it now, we didnt need to big drawn out battles to show how Dany was outmaneuvered by Jaime/Cersei. Loved the last scene between Jaime and Olenna, the realisation on his face when she admitted to killing Joffrey. He can't go back now to Cersei and tell her really, because she would have wanted to torture her similar to yer one from Dorne

I reckon we will see a big battle between Cersei and Dany at the end of the season, with next year focussing on the night king. I don't think Dany will be the big saviour with her dragons against the Night King though. Could be Jon or Tyrion
Last edited by Fred__Elliott on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eucrid

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am

The last 2 episodes have been quite good. Hopefully it keeps up like this now. I'm still not sure if the writing is brilliant or terrible. The ending will really make a difference to how each scene plays.
I can't figure out if Dany is supposed to be a hero or if she's supposed to be an arsehole. She doesn't come off well most of the time but then they go on about how she could just take power but she doesn't want to kill everyone.

i_ate_cats

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Enjoyed last nights episode. It's moving at breakneck speed now, I'm not going to complain, it's just taking some adjusting. There are only seven episodes in this season, six in the next. There's a lot of ground to cover.
Eucrid wrote:
I can't figure out if Dany is supposed to be a hero or if she's supposed to be an arsehole. She doesn't come off well most of the time but then they go on about how she could just take power but she doesn't want to kill everyone.
The tone of her character is all over the place. All mother Teresa one week, obnoxious royal the next.
I laughed a lot during last nights ep.
Some were intentional gags, Tyrion's bit about Jon's brooding. I'm not sure if Bran was supposed to be so funny, strange scene, little weirdo.
Question re. Olenna
Was last nights confession the first time the show has revealed that she killed Jof? Has there been any allusions made prior to this?

Dick Jones

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 pm

i_ate_cats wrote: Question re. Olenna
Was last nights confession the first time the show has revealed that she killed Jof? Has there been any allusions made prior to this?
Yes that was revealed before. She said it in passing to Margery: "You didn't think I was going to let you marry that little monster", something along those lines.

It wasn't a big reveal. Margery barely reacted, like she wasn't surprised, and it hasn't been mentioned since.

i_ate_cats

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
i_ate_cats wrote: Question re. Olenna
Yes that was revealed before. She said it in passing to Margery: "You didn't think I was going to let you marry that little monster", something along those lines.

It wasn't a big reveal. Margery barely reacted, like she wasn't surprised, and it hasn't been mentioned since.
Ah grand. I wasn't sure if it was something that had been established on the show, a spoiler from a book reader or conjecture from online banter.

It was a great dig to get in in her final scene.

Dick Jones

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Yeah what an ending for that character.

You can take a double meaning for the episode title: "The Queen's Justice".

One is Cersei's execution of the sand snake girl, obvs. But also you have Olenna - the Queen of Thorns - defeating the Lannisters one last time even as they put her to death. In fact, as she fearlessly puts herself to death.

Eucrid

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Do we need to spoiler any more? Now that we have the thread people should just know not to open it till they see the episode.

Dick Jones

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:10 pm

NED DIES.

EVERYONE GETS KILT AT ROB STARK'S WEDDING.

Oh wow, the freedom.

Rob

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Just watched it now. The pace of it really made me think of the pace of Breaking Bad's last season.

The bait and switch with Brann rather than Arya at the gate

Seeing Bronn again!

Fred__Elliott

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:52 pm

The recaps are getting fucking annoying. Knew it was gonna be brann at winterfel and not arya

Also, how the fuck did Sams da go from being loyal to the Tyrell's in the last episode to sacking Highgarden and wiping out her army without a second thought?

eventSecurity

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:GoT
agree re Casterly Rock, disapointment. Was most excited to see that along with the Citadel(and consequently Oldtown)

I went into stupid fanboy mode when Jon was talking with Dany and Varys walked in. Thought he was going to tell her to stop being a stupid cunt, you're his aunty, he's a targaryen.

Im quite happy with the pace of it now, we didnt need to big drawn out battles to show how Dany was outmaneuvered by Jaime/Cersei. Loved the last scene between Jaime and Olenna, the realisation on his face when she admitted to killing Joffrey. He can't go back now to Cersei and tell her really, because she would have wanted to torture her similar to yer one from Dorne

I reckon we will see a big battle between Cersei and Dany at the end of the season, with next year focussing on the night king. I don't think Dany will be the big saviour with her dragons against the Night King though. Could be Jon or Tyrion
Cersei still thinks Tyrion killed joffrey, will Jamie tell her he didn't?

Fred__Elliott

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Im not sure, because he mentioned previously all the gruesome things Cersei wanted to do to Olenna, and he convinced her not too. A painless poison means she got off lightly, especially considering they know now that she killed Joffrey

Eucrid

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Meh Cersei killed Marge, I think they're even.

Dick Jones

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Oh look, the quote from Olenna I mentioned above, about killing Joffrey, was actually used in the teaser.

phpBB [video]

Biggy Shackleton

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 am

Eucrid wrote:The last 2 episodes have been quite good. Hopefully it keeps up like this now. I'm still not sure if the writing is brilliant or terrible. The ending will really make a difference to how each scene plays.

Finally caught up.

Ah the writing is definitely brilliant at the moment i think. Particularly the dialogue. Some great lines last night:

Tyrion: She's much cleverer than she lets on"
Jon: “She's started letting on.”

The scene between Dany and Jon was excellent too, and that was no short scene. And there's no way the 2 actors of the 1st couple of seasons would have delivered it that well either. They've both come on tons.

And again, the Jamie/Olenna scene was fantastic too. Diana Rigg has been class every second she's been on screen. Pity thats it now.

bartleby

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:38 pm

whopper episode.

billysexcrime

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Gave in and watched the leaked episode. Holy Fuck!!

Eucrid

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:10 am

Yup

mooch

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:29 pm

holy. moly.

i just wish the leak had been a better quality