GOT Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am
BadTurtle wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:31 am
Funny time to decide that. The shows been mostly rubbish since season 5. At least it's been highly entertaining rubbish this year.

Episode 6
That raven flying all the way south and then Day flying all the way north while the lads were on the ice island :lol: ffs, how many days were they stood there?
Great episode, ridiculously over the top. Thormund and Jon Snow are invincible now. A lot of deus ex machina in the plotting too - Benjen, the amazing teleporting dragons.
Can't believe Jorah survived, damn it.
Ah sure you're way ahead of the curve Turtle.
We, the great unwashed, can only aspire.
Everything is a personal slight on you isn't it? Just saying I thought it was a funny time to quit, with 6 or 7 episodes to go, after all the tedious shit with Dany and Co for years. Sorry to hurt your feelings, snowflake.

BadTurtle

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:17 pm
I think people are getting a bit too fussed about the distances being covered. Like the distance between Kingslanding and Dragon stone is nothing.
Its not that far between KL and the wall that you couldn't get there handily in a few hours flying.
it's supposed to be somewhere between 1800 and 2200 miles. That's some fast raven.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm

BadTurtle wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 pm
Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am
BadTurtle wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:31 am
Funny time to decide that. The shows been mostly rubbish since season 5. At least it's been highly entertaining rubbish this year.

Episode 6
That raven flying all the way south and then Day flying all the way north while the lads were on the ice island :lol: ffs, how many days were they stood there?
Great episode, ridiculously over the top. Thormund and Jon Snow are invincible now. A lot of deus ex machina in the plotting too - Benjen, the amazing teleporting dragons.
Can't believe Jorah survived, damn it.
Ah sure you're way ahead of the curve Turtle.
We, the great unwashed, can only aspire.
Everything is a personal slight on you isn't it? Just saying I thought it was a funny time to quit, with 6 or 7 episodes to go, after all the tedious shit with Dany and Co for years. Sorry to hurt your feelings, snowflake.
I'm not really quitting it Turtle.
I know you didn't take it literally, you're a smart guy.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Eucrid wrote:
I think people are getting a bit too fussed about the distances being covered. Like the distance between Kingslanding and Dragon stone is nothing.
Its not that far between KL and the wall that you couldn't get there handily in a few hours flying.
Dragonstone to Kings Landing, that's grand. I've no problem with Tyrion showing up to meet Bronn and Jamie. Or Danerys flying from Dragonstone to Highgarden.
But the Dothraki turning up, i have a problem with.

But The Wall is supposed to be 500 miles long. Scale that off, and Turtles 2000 miles or so to KL is probably accurate.

And i don't think its being overly precious either to be bugged by these things. There's not a single fantasy fiction novel in the world i'd say that doesn't involve some epic journey on foot. Its a huge part of why people love the genre. It's nearly universal. (It's why they've bundled those 7 lads together to go north together, and that closing shot of them in Ep 5. Pure nod to The Fellowship.

They need to nail that shit down.

billysexcrime

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Fuck that. I don't wanna see multiple scenes of characters setting up camp at night while they're traveling from one place to the next. The differnce between LOTR is that theres fuck all between places and if there is we've seen it already i.e mountain men, freys, iron islands etc. Theres no mines of moria in Westeros so just get there and get on with things.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm

There are other ways to allude to the passing of time though.

Dialogue.
Text on screen, (though they haven't bothered with that since S1. Ep1 i'd say.)
Time lapse photography of flowers in a field budding, blooming and then dying.
Or .... a fuckin montage!

mooch

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm

an 80s montage please

fatguy2k1

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 pm
And i don't think its being overly precious either to be bugged by these things. There's not a single fantasy fiction novel in the world i'd say that doesn't involve some epic journey on foot. Its a huge part of why people love the genre. It's nearly universal. (It's why they've bundled those 7 lads together to go north together, and that closing shot of them in Ep 5. Pure nod to The Fellowship.

They need to nail that shit down.
yeah, we had 5 season of watching people walking around having adventures on the way. There is less then 10 hours of the show left. time to get on with the main plot.

saw a tweet that summed it up "this season of GOT is like a game of DnD sped up as everyone has to be home by midnight"

Eucrid

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am
There is less then 10 hours of the show left. time to get on with the main plot.
Possibly not. A lot of talk that there could be 90 minute episodes next year with a 2 hour finale.

Lola

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 am

Eucrid wrote:
Yup. The distance thing is irrelevant. We know the places are far away by now - we don't need to be shown it. I'd rather it cut to their destination to get on with things than have to watch a long drawn out journey

Eucrid

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am

Apparently the script for the finale has leaked.

Phierstarter

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Great. Bye.

Rob

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am
Apparently the script for the finale has leaked.
it'll be sickening if it's hard to avoid seeing anything from that.

Although you can also imagine there'll be trolls around the odd place.

fatguy2k1

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 pm

just watched episode 6 now, my wife wants the telly for the rose of tralee at 8 :roll: :lol:
some fucking episode, amazing stuff. wish i hadn't read about all the ice dragon stuff, at the start of the season, would have been blind sided by it tonight. still, it sounded bat shit crazy back then :lol:

i know we're rushing towards the end of the season/show but i wish we got a bit more of the ice fellowship as there was potential for some comedy there. yes, i know we're meant to be all serious at this stage but still.
cracking episode, cracking season. :thumbs:

eventSecurity

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm
Eucrid wrote:An ice dragon :lol: That would be so shit.
Well it'd be dead dragon that yer man raised up I think. Not a dragon breathing ice, I imagine.

Anyway, yeah I think it would be crap
Thoughts?

Fred__Elliott

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Didnt think it was going to happen. It kind of neutralizes Dany. She cant just fly up now as they have the dragon and also those spears

I thought Tyrion was going to hop on one ot the dragons when she was leaving :(

Dick Jones

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:58 am

WTF is going on with Arya lads.

The fact that neither she or Sansa cop that Littlefinger is playing them is crazy. One of them he has betrayed several times, the other is an assassin and master of disguise.

So then, could it be that Arya is actually playing Littlefinger somehow, or she will. He'll end up one of her faces I think, giving orders to the knights of the vale.
Last edited by Dick Jones on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mooch

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 am

yeh i think it's going to be a case of arya playing littlefinger - it has to be because like you said, trained assassin!

they're both in on it, it'll be like an episode of scooby doo

Dick Jones

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 am

Maybe Sansa will say "BUT WAIT, he doesn't know that we know he knows we know."

BadTurtle

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am

It's the weakest plot line this season, no question - even with the suicide mission for the sake of it - and makes almost no sense from any angle. Arya and Sansa should be sharp enough to see they're being played, but equally Littlefinger should be smart enough to know that this is a stupid plan that could easily get him killed. For someone that has instigated the entire series of events of the show to resort to "hopefully Brienne stabs Arya before she kills everyone else" is some drop in standards. I'd be fierce disappointed if there's not a lot more to all this.