The Future of the Board

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
On Monday, another board I frequent decided that it was shutting down it's forum.

While never been the most active member, I have been posting there since 1999 and over the past 10 years have visited almost every single day. But even at that, I was surprised by the sadness that came over me when I read the news.

This, coupled with recent complaints about how dead this place has been, got me thinking; where does the fate of this place lay?
Do you think it'll ever be shut down while it's still relatively active or will people post less and less until it becomes a ghost town?

Either way, it'll all be eric the beard's fault.
shivo

I used to post on IMDB and they're shut down as well.

This place is totally dead now, yeah..... :(
dwayne

To succeed now, communication needs to be an intrinsic part of how a user uses a website, not just a subsection of it.
If Electric Picnic were to go in this direction it would be a total revamp that we probably wouldn't like.
I imagine Gareth, or whoever it is these days, would just move this elsewhere under another name.
Either way, it's bleak.
Phierstarter

Board to the Future

The board has been on death's door before, it's still here, though with increasingly fewer regulars and absolutely no fresh blood.

I'd like to think that some Electric Picnic committee decides to keep it alive as some kind of showcase of first gen Picnic goers. Like a home for dotty auld ones.
i_ate_cats

surprised by the lack of new blood

even in and around festival time, there seems very little uplift
maradara

The organisers know that by keeping us on here, we stay away from the more important EP Facebook page. Polluting that with our views on music, films and the festival in general might be viewed as detrimental to ticket sales.

Forums are a dying breed anyway, Social Media is the way forward and Commercial Business knows this.

A few of the more argumentative boarders didn’t reappear back here after Christmas as well. That’s always going to make the place seem a lot quieter.
Lumbo

Lumbo wrote:A few of the more argumentative boarders didn’t reappear back here after Christmas as well. That’s always going to make the place seem a lot quieter.

oh like who??

where's badturtle
Zook

where is anyone?!

there are a few reasons why this board is dying, eric the beard is a main one.

plus i really miss the imdb boards. i love talking about tv & film
mooch

Zook wrote:
Lumbo wrote:A few of the more argumentative boarders didn’t reappear back here after Christmas as well. That’s always going to make the place seem a lot quieter.

oh like who??

where's badturtle

He was one. Coco was another. No sign of him for months.

A good argument keeps the place interesting. Yizzer bastards.
Lumbo

Im surprised they havent pulled the plug on here. As dead as it is and as little as i post, ill miss the place if it goes!
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Im surprised they havent pulled the plug on here. As dead as it is and as little as i post, ill miss the place if it goes!

all true. I'll be sad to see it go when it does go/i stop coming here. Some cracking good times was had here and met some brilliant people (and some nut cases)
fatguy2k1

Lumbo wrote:
Zook wrote:

oh like who??

where's badturtle

go fuck yourself... and your baldy mate
Zook

If this place shut's down I'm going to end up in some tv dark age, it's the only place I found out about TV shows and the likes of showbox.
LordPercy

Lumbo wrote:
Zook wrote:

oh like who??

where's badturtle

Too easy.
Phierstarter

If it keeps going as it is maybe it'll just fade away and we wont even notice.

You'd miss some of the old posters. I still wonder from time to time what Petes up to.
Eucrid

He either deleted his FB or deleted and blocked me. Bastard!
Rusty Shackleford

Same
Eucrid

He's probably into the high seven figures by now, too good for us
dwayne

Disappeared around the time he got married, I reckon that Italian wife has his internet life locked down.
Eucrid

maybe she has him in a fritzl type basement
Zook

Next

Return to The Electric Picnic