The Travel Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
enemies/friends

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 pm

I was sceptical also but yea you can definitely see different colours. It isn't a straight line though, of course! It's something to do with the temperatures if I remember right, there's a few degrees difference between the two

Phierstarter

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:32 am

Was at Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope there yesterday. Beautiful. The colour difference is due to how wind effects sediment with the shape of the landscape. The actual most southerly point is Cape Aguilas. The two oceans meeting stuff is a convenient commercial myth.

If you only got followed by beggars only once you're doing well. I'm used to that sort of thing so it doesn't bother me, just keep walking and talking like they're not there, unfortunately. They are persistent though. They have deals with the shops so if you buy them bread like they ask they bring it back and the shopkeeper takes a cut and so do they. Then the proceeds may well be injected into into their veins.

Been walking home every night, feels safe enough but I don't think I'll be doing that in Jozi.

electricnose

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Phierstarter wrote:
Was at Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope there yesterday. Beautiful. The colour difference is due to how wind effects sediment with the shape of the landscape. The actual most southerly point is Cape Aguilas. The two oceans meeting stuff is a convenient commercial myth.

If you only got followed by beggars only once you're doing well. I'm used to that sort of thing so it doesn't bother me, just keep walking and talking like they're not there, unfortunately. They are persistent though. They have deals with the shops so if you buy them bread like they ask they bring it back and the shopkeeper takes a cut and so do they. Then the proceeds may well be injected into into their veins.

Been walking home every night, feels safe enough but I don't think I'll be doing that in Jozi.
https://www.facebook.com/scubslarkin/vi ... 603397660/

enemies/friends

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Phierstarter wrote:

I did have one guy asking to buy bread. I refused and eventually gave him a couple of rand to leave me alone and he was pretty unthankful. Explains a lot.

JC!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:20 am

Thinking of going to SA next year - we've both built up a tonne of points over the last few years working, and SA seems like really good value for nice business flights down. I'll definitely be popping my head back in here later in the year. What time of year is best to visit?

enemies/friends

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 pm

We were there late Feb which is sort of the end of summer. Most days were about 25-28 degrees and not too humid. Got dark around 7pm. Was very pleasant and probably about the perfect time weather wise. I believe it's a good bit cooler at the minute - mid to high teens and a bit of a chilly wind - and has been a decent bit of rain about (which they needed!)

Phierstarter

Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Quite windy at Afrikaburn alright, which was only spectacular.
Off to Knysna a day late tomorrow. Meaning only one day for Port Elizabeth.

Phierstarter

Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Back now and everything is disappointing, until late June anyway.