The Travel Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Lumbo

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:29 am

LordPercy wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am
Wiki tells me "the bars on the sunrise beach of Haad Rin town stay open and play music such as psychedelic trance, R&B, drum and bass, house, dance and reggae."

Suppose some of it would be all right, just a matter of finding the spot playing music you like.
The music at the full moon party is that shite EDM music that the kids love. At the smaller half moon and black moon parties some of the bars in the town will have house and techno nights. I'd a great night at the full moon party despite the music.

stateofyouboy

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am

sure if yer off yer tits yil be grand

Lumbo

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 am

enemies/friends wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm
Just discovered there's a full moon while we're in Thailand... Which means only one thing!
Don't stay in Haad Rin. You'll get a really nice hotel away from the town which will cost you €20 for the night. I stayed in this place https://www.google.ie/maps/uv?hl=en&pb= ... dtQ5n2zGLw and it was great, just beside a very quite beach as well.

It's also down the road from here https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_R ... vince.html I know you're into your beers so this place is a bit of a novelty.

JC!

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 am

anyone been to cuba? heading next month - 5 nights in Havana, couple down in Trinidad, then up to that resort place on the north coast for a few nights, then back to havana

Phierstarter

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Looking increasingly likely next year :)
phpBB [video]

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm

JC! wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 am
anyone been to cuba? heading next month - 5 nights in Havana, couple down in Trinidad, then up to that resort place on the north coast for a few nights, then back to havana
Was there back in March of this year and absolutely loved it. Havana and Trinidad are definitely the places to go. Vinales is great too, very rural, different vibe entirely. Trinidad is beautiful. Old Spanish colonial feel to it. It's not that big but I'd nearly give 3 days to it. The food is much better there, and there's a good few options. It's jsut a great fucking spot for chilling out.

Didn't do the resort, had no interest really, but spoke to people along the way who had been and their reports weren't exactly glowing.
There are fantastic beaches just outside Havana, but if you're looking for the all-inclusive treatment then they are you're best option i suppose.

Best way to get around is shared taxis.
In Havana you'll end up spending loads of time in the old town, and you'll head across to Vedado for all the revolutionary site-seeing stuff, but there is so much more to the city, particularly in Central Havana, where all the residential streets are and the locals hang out.
i wouldn't call Havana Vieja a tourist trap by any means, well not in your conventional sense, but if you want the authentic local atmosphere, central Havana is the spot.
It's completely safe, the tourist is king in Cuba.
Callejón de Hamel is worth checking out in Central Havana, its the hub of the african community, loads of street art, sunday markets, music, art work for sale etc. nice chilled atmosphere, and walking there will give you a great feel for the city.
http://www.desiglobetrotter.com/havanas ... treet-art/

If i think of anything else i'll throw it in here.

have you accommodation sorted? Casa's are the way to go.