The Travel Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
never_green

Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I've vague memories of someone here saying that they were going or had been to Cinque Terre some time ago.

Thinking of tagging a trip from Pisa to Genoa onto a wedding over there at the end of the summer but I know sweet fuck all about the place.

Anybody spend much time on that north west coast of Italy? Tourist fly trap or serene gettaway?

LordPercy

Thu May 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Think it was Magic said she was going to Cinque Terre this year, cant remember who said they were there before.

I was in Genoa about 8 or 9 years ago. The old part of the town is definetly worth a visit. It's medieval with loads of little dark alleways and squares. Kind of place that's just nice to go for a wander around with no real destination in minf that leads on to the port as well. Red light district is right at the edge of it too I (genuinely) ended up in it without realising as the old town is like a maze so just wandered in to it while trying to find my hotel.

Didnt really do a lot there to be honest though as I'd been on the piss at the formula 1 for the 5 days previously so flaked out the first night then Ireland were playing a WC qualifier the next day so we we were back out on the beer again.

never_green

Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm

That's who it was.

I'd probably do an day/night in both Genoa and Pisa but i'd be lot more interested in getting out of the cities to somewhere quieter. I've no idea how crowded Cinque Terre is. Couldn't be dealing with Rome like crowds for an Italian break these days.

citizen snips

Fri May 09, 2014 3:58 pm

The Cinque Terre towns themselves were a bit touristy but not too bad crowd-wise, I think it's more of a place that Italians go to visit for a holiday.

But as I said to magic there's a really nice small town called Bonossola that we found by fluke that's near enough to the Cinque Terre, it's real quiet and the next town over, Levanto, is a bit more lively for bars and stuff but still a nicely chilled out place. Also Florence is only a couple of hours by train and is worth the trip.

We were there around September IIRC so I don't if everywhere was less busy because of that but I'd defo recommend heading over for a good spot to chill out in.
Dead

citizen snips

Fri May 09, 2014 4:08 pm

LordPercy wrote:Think it was Magic said she was going to Cinque Terre this year, cant remember who said they were there before.

I was in Genoa about 8 or 9 years ago. The old part of the town is definetly worth a visit. It's medieval with loads of little dark alleways and squares. Kind of place that's just nice to go for a wander around with no real destination in minf that leads on to the port as well. Red light district is right at the edge of it too I (genuinely) ended up in it without realising as the old town is like a maze so just wandered in to it while trying to find my hotel.

Didnt really do a lot there to be honest though as I'd been on the piss at the formula 1 for the 5 days previously so flaked out the first night then Ireland were playing a WC qualifier the next day so we we were back out on the beer again.
We stayed our first night in Genoa pretty much on the docks in some dive of a hotel we'd pre-booked. I went out to get fags or something and got stopped by some African one on the way back. She said something and I honestly thought she was asking "you know where there's a party?" :lol: I was like, "uh yeah I only just arrived but uhm, maybe over there" pointing around at restaurants. Then she grinded on me "you wanna party" - I just said "Ohhhh, no, no thanks" in an embarrassed laughy voice and she just threw her eyes up to heaven and marched off. Should have known straight away really, that area looked sketchy as fuck at night.
Dead

Eriatarka
Location: I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Done my ESTA thing for a holiday to New York next month, threat of Aer Lingus strikes in early June which could well hit my flight though. Really really really don't wanna get stung by that.

never_green

Sun May 11, 2014 12:24 am

citizen snips wrote:The Cinque Terre towns themselves were a bit touristy but not too bad crowd-wise, I think it's more of a place that Italians go to visit for a holiday.

But as I said to magic there's a really nice small town called Bonossola that we found by fluke that's near enough to the Cinque Terre, it's real quiet and the next town over, Levanto, is a bit more lively for bars and stuff but still a nicely chilled out place. Also Florence is only a couple of hours by train and is worth the trip.

We were there around September IIRC so I don't if everywhere was less busy because of that but I'd defo recommend heading over for a good spot to chill out in.
it'll be september when i plan on being over there so it's good to hear that it's calm enough at that time

think i'll definitely do the pisa to genoa trip and find decent spots to stop off and do some coastal hikes along the way. cinque terre is the obvious choice but it looks like there's plenty of other options too.

Howyoudoin

Tue May 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Barcelona on Thursday for three nights and Girona for one. Any suggestions folks? Especially places to eat and nightlife. Cheers.

Lumbo

Tue May 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Barcelona on Thursday for three nights and Girona for one. Any suggestions folks? Especially places to eat and nightlife. Cheers.
Try to get a table at Tickets. We'd to book 3 months before but might get a cancellation. Amazing food and not too expensive considering what you're getting.

LordPercy

Tue May 20, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm off to the Czech republic for a wedding on Thursday, bought a guide book the other day the recommended sight in the town iis a lift.

Gatsby

Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Been looking at doing a few weeks in Scandinavia or Iceland. Both are pretty cheap to get to but expensive once there.

Not sure which is the better option, Scandinavia would be class as i could get a few countries in, but Iceland has been top of my want to visit list for a long time. Anyone been to either and done it on a budget of sorts?
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

mojo

Wed May 21, 2014 8:07 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Barcelona on Thursday for three nights and Girona for one. Any suggestions folks? Especially places to eat and nightlife. Cheers.
a lot of clubs and bars in barca are sketchy

The port olympico area is pretty nice to go out in, its down by the beach. Higher end bars and clubs.

gothic quarter is nice to go out in too

Rusty Shackleford

Wed May 21, 2014 8:44 am

L'Ovella Negro is decent for pints before going out clubbing or whatever. Its a dive, like, but the atmosphere is always good. Its just a big massive room with tables the whole way up it like a canteen

LordPercy

Wed May 21, 2014 8:48 am

JCs spanish cousin bottom right

mojo

Wed May 21, 2014 8:50 am

spanish people wreck my head

Fred__Elliott

Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 pm

mojo wrote:

The port olympico area is pretty nice to go out in, its down by the beach. Higher end bars and clubs.

The port olympico is not high end clubs. :lol:

Gothic quarter is lovely alright. Some great tiny bars around there

Placa Reial down the port end of la rambla has a few nice bars & restaurants for drinking during the day. then just off that is the Gothic area as you walk away from Ramblas. Sidecar in the corner of Placa Reial is a decent spot actually

Howyoudoin

Thu May 22, 2014 6:02 am

Sent that email Lumbo. Fingers crossed.

I'll check out those boozer areas. Doing a cycle tour in the morning and will try and recon those spots.

12 hours I'll be on the plane, wine in hand. Hurry up stupid work day.

mojo

Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 am

Fred__Elliott wrote:
mojo wrote:

Placa Reial down the port end of la rambla has a few nice bars & restaurants for drinking during the day. then just off that is the Gothic area as you walk away from Ramblas. Sidecar in the corner of Placa Reial is a decent spot actually
Well its not all high end clubs obviously...there are normal bars too

but its definitely the higher end of barcelona nightlife...opium mar, cdlc, shoko etc

why would you disagree?

Fred__Elliott

Thu May 22, 2014 10:19 am

mojo wrote:
Fred__Elliott wrote:

Well its not all high end clubs obviously...there are normal bars too

but its definitely the higher end of barcelona nightlife...opium mar, cdlc, shoko etc

why would you disagree?
I dunno, I felt like I was in Tenerife or Majorca when I was in them. I was in much nicer clubs in the Gothic quarter. We pretty much lived in Olympico for the week we were there a few years ago. Granted when I was there a few weeks ago we only went into 2 but it still felt the same, just wouldn't describe them as high end myself. Felt seedy more than anything

piepiepress

Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 am

Gatsby wrote:Been looking at doing a few weeks in Scandinavia or Iceland. Both are pretty cheap to get to but expensive once there.

Not sure which is the better option, Scandinavia would be class as i could get a few countries in, but Iceland has been top of my want to visit list for a long time. Anyone been to either and done it on a budget of sorts?
Never been to Iceland or Finland, but Norway (where I currently live) is outrageously expensive for anything a tourist will want to do, namely hotel accom, eat, drink, public transport etc. Most food and drink is 100% more expensive than in Ireland anyway- bottle of beer (like carlsberg etc) is €10, glass of house wine is €10 - €12, vodka and coke about €14
A normal pub grub style burger and chips will cost about €22- 25 quid.
Only been to Sweden on short business trips about 8 years ago, its less expensive than Norway, but it is still pricey- about €7.50 for a pint etc.
They are BEAUTIFUL no doubt, but I couldn't really see it being done on a budget unless you are willing to just eat kebabs and basically not drink alcohol!