The Travel Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
dwayne

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 pm

What are your plans for Vietnam?

I've heard Da Lat is very good for adventure stuff; rafting, canyoning, etc.

shivo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 pm

enemies/friends wrote:I know a fair few on here have been around these parts. Am looking towards Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia for the honeymoon next year. Having to compromise so spending about a week in Phuket doing the lazy stuff but also going to spend a couple of weeks doing the more adventurous stuff.

One question I have at the minute, is there any way other than flying to go from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh city?
I'll be doing a similar trip in November. We'll be flying between PP and HCMC - all other options were a pain in the arse.
Quite literally, according to my brother who did a lot of travel around that area a couple of years ago.

He says that some local tour guides claim that the Cambodia government purposefully let the roads between the two cities deteriorate (moreso than other road), and put extra taxes on tourists for bus tickets to encourage westerners to fly instead as it's more profitable for everyone.
I'm not sure how true that is, but he got a bus and said it was the most uncomfortable trip he has ever been on.

enemies/friends

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Shivo, that's a great answer, thanks. The flight is short and not that expensive but I just thought it might be a decent way to see a bit more of the place, but in that case I'll probably just fly.

Dwayne, very open to suggestions re Vietnam. At the minute it's looking like flying into Phuket, then over to Siem Reap and down to Phnom Penh, then over to Ho Chi Minh. Not sure if it's worth going up to Hanoi? Quite tempted by the idea of getting a bike and just travelling around with no real specific aims which would allow us to go out to Da Lat, with a coupe of nights in Bangkok on the way home

shivo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:20 pm

And if you're looking for a book on Cambodia don't get 'Not Without My Father'.
Unless, of course, you want to read about some woman doing a 400 mile hike in the US.

THANKS A LOT BIGGY SHACKLETON!

On the other hand, if you happen to find somewhere that sells 'First They Killed My Father' as an e-book, let me know.

dwayne

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:00 pm

I've not been very many places in Vietnam yet, only Nha Trang (which I would recommend if you want a beach side city for a few days).

Have definitely been told Da Lat is worth going to.....I'd have gone for adventure stuff when I was in Nha Transfer, but it was when my mum was visiting. And she wouldn't have been as up for it.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:48 am

Dalat is where they all go on their honeymoon in Vietnam.

If you're into Giant Swan Pedallo's on the lake in the middle of town sort of thing, then Dalat's your spot.
It's inland and a bit of a trek to get there though.

Nha Trang's great, a few nice restaurants too. Did my SSI course there, saw some great fish.