EP Roll Call

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
voidoid

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:43 pm

coach says it's not gay at all

citizen snips

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:43 pm

brojob

voidoid

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm

:lol:

ishudcoco

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:And they've already promised to go bigger next year as well.

48,000 already sounded like a big festival.
Game over for me so. Yer man Benn said it was the best ever and Damon albarn really enjoyed himself and so too did glen hansard so fuck the people that actually count, I.e. The ticket buyers.

billysexcrime

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Did anyone catch Jon Hopkins? Probably the best thing I seen all weekend, the atmosphere in there was mental!

Fred__Elliott

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:35 pm

mojo wrote:a bjj session

nice
totes gogoplata'd each other in the campsite

Eucrid

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:41 pm

2 of our mates were fake wrestling the whole time. I don't know what got into them but every now and then one of them would just stunner the other one, strangers around mostly seemed to enjoy it. A lot of lads would start adding commentary.

citizen snips

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:06 pm

billysexcrime wrote:Did anyone catch Jon Hopkins? Probably the best thing I seen all weekend, the atmosphere in there was mental!
Yeah was there, class alright.

Loved Underworld too.

Phierstarter

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Opinion here seems more negative than usual. What's the sentiment on Facebook like? Or do they screen those kind of posts?

LordPercy

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:10 pm

I dunno the crowds didn't bother me either in size or the makeup of them, had no bother queueing for food even at kinara.

The mic got shoved into my hand to do thunderstruck for caravanoke I can't sing (and hate ac/dc) so i ruined my throat and it's still killing me.

Saw JC's 'fro floating past me during wyvern lingo.

I'll probably go for an early bird when they go on sale and see how I feel about going closer to the event

Eucrid

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:50 pm

I sang We Built this City in the caravanaoke. Had that at me wedding actually, it's the best.

Dick Jones

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:11 pm

Had a great weekend. I was impressed by the new additions and increased size. Lots of new random crazy crap to do and see. Much, much younger crowd yeah, but it didn't bother me at all though, the way others are saying here. Let them at it I say.

Remember lads, the young crowd is partly an "I get older, they stay the same age" situation. No reason people of 19, 20 etc shouldn't have a slice of the pie because we're all getting older. We don't own electric picnic. Maybe the spirit and ethos and atmosphere of the festival is different than it was eight or ten years ago, but it has to adapt to survive.

Yes though, a lot of the young fellas were awful jersey shore looking douchebags, with luminous ray bans and the guns out, fake tan girls and flower crowns. Didn't see any bad behaviour other than mess scraps and sick though.

I thought it was clever strategic design putting that new kiddies' disco cocktail bar opposite the 90s arena, a lot of those types wouldnt have gone further than that and the organisers must have known it. It was like Magaluf or something in there.

Increased capacity was very noticeable, but I was never bothered by it. Didn't go near the main stage on Sunday night, but Body & Soul and the other areas were mostly grand I thought.

The War on Drugs was phenomenal, gig of the weekend for me. Jurassic 5 too, absolute heroes. And some crowd called Shamir doing the late show in B&S Saturday night.

Met DJ Numark at Bacardi on Sunday evening, he was sound.

Boomtown Rats was utterly diabolical.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:38 am

Dick Jones wrote:I thought it was clever strategic design putting that new kiddies' disco cocktail bar opposite the 90s arena, a lot of those types wouldnt have gone further than that and the organisers must have known it. It was like Magaluf or something in there.

MAgaluf was exactly what we said about that too.

And yeah the Boomtown Rats were terrible. Geldof is such a dickhead.

i_ate_cats

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:13 am

Did electricnose go to EP this year? I'd love to read the review.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:30 am

i too would like to read his review.

he'll definitely have been at EP.

DerekD_Goldfish

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 am

Enjoyed it for the most part, yes there was lots of kids there and about 8 lads behind me in the queue for the bus who only knew Born Slippy by Underworld as the only band/song from any act at a festival they were going to see

but most the the crowd was sound enough, despite the increased crowd it was still easy enough to get around and get food and drink most of the time and lots of good performances from the acts I saw. Will defiantly be back next year.
DerekD_Goldfish Bet Emmo €50 Liverpool would not win the league or CL by 2010/2011
"Who is taking the horse to France?"

UNUTTERABLE

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 am

Great weekend, load of me mates and my wife turned 40 this year so it was a kind of group celebration weekender. I'm 41 and was in fear of it all summer in terms of just being wrecked and not able to cope with 3 days drinking and camping but I paced meself and it worked. Been to 6 picnics going back to 2005 and this years was the best I've had, the increased crowds were handled brilliantly, didn't have to queue for jacks, drink or food at any point. Only small gripes would be going outside main arena for stages in the woods and having to wait to get back in, get searched all over again and possibly be delayed trying to get to a band on one of the bigger stages inside, also the showing of the matches - the crowds were so big that if you were trying to get down to the trailer park area or out to the woods you had to wade through a sea of gaa jerseys. Grand show the matches, the festival is getting bigger so catering to a wider audience is a good thing but put it on somewhere it doesn't cause congestion!

Thought the "vibe" was very relaxed and a huge reduction in the amount of monged tracksuit types about the place largely due to there being no dedicated dance tent. Price of beer was shocking, expected to be paying 5/5.50 but 6.20 for Heineken piss and 6.70 for tiger/paulaner?? and the paulaner had run out at whatever bar I was at Saturday night, I ended up trying to time my pints so that I was close enough to the beer frontier to pay the 6.70 for a cute hoor pale ale. The mystery brew was unreal too, so so good had to keep myself from blowing all my cash on it over the 3 days.

We camped in Joplin about the middle of the first field and it was grand, sound bunches around us, no messing and everyone friendly. the Hendrix, Warhol and wilde sites looked like carnage though but that's probably just my age talking

Highlights: grace jones, ride, belle and Sebastian, ho99o9 (best gig of the weekend, absolutely savage energy), august wells, this is the kit, battles, jurassic 5, parquet courts, viet cong, girl band

Got to Kinara on friday afternoon after doing movies and booze and the ride q&a in mindfield, walked up, ordered and had food within 5 mins, excellent grub. The lisduggan farm stall in body and soul had deadly burgers and chips but they weren't served in real blaas lol, mayan hot shot from Natasha's raw food tent on sunday morning while the Dublin ukulele collective were on there was the job. the noodles from saba were fantastic too

I appreciate my experience is different to others and I'm probably lucky in respect of avoiding queues and not encountering dickheads on campsites or around the festival at any point but for the folk complaining about the younger crowd etc - I saw people there older than me, easily into their 50's and upwards, imagine what they think of you :roll: You don't own the festival and it's a commercial enterprise, of course they're going to try and upscale it and take in more and accommodate a wider range of festival goers. Personally I thought they increased the size this year and retained the overall feel of the electric picnic successfully, long may it continue. Meself and the wife agreed last night we will be buying early birds as soon as they are available for next year :thumbs:

just me tuppence worth
EKLEKTOPLASM **2 hours of sonic subterranea every 2nd Thursday**
Stream@ http://www.opentempofm.com
https://www.facebook.com/Eklektoplasm

LordPercy

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am

Eucrid wrote:
Dick Jones wrote:I thought it was clever strategic design putting that new kiddies' disco cocktail bar opposite the 90s arena, a lot of those types wouldnt have gone further than that and the organisers must have known it. It was like Magaluf or something in there.

MAgaluf was exactly what we said about that too.

And yeah the Boomtown Rats were terrible. Geldof is such a dickhead.
Was listening to an interview with him on Friday before heading down and himself and his girlfriend are going to see if they can house 3 refugee families between his places in London and Kent. Not sure if that's even possible but great gesture if it is

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 am

During some abortive audience interaction bit, he said (screeched), "OK, we're going to try somethign that has never been done at a rock concert in the British Isles before!!"

The whole crowd was like :? :|

Eucrid

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:44 am

He also said "we're the best Irish band of all time, fuck the rest of them". Lovely sentiment at Electric Picnic.