EP Roll Call

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
mojo

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:09 am

I got my discount code the other day

they must know who i am

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:12 am

How many tickets can you get with one discount code? I won't be buying for ages but may as well get the code anyway.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:12 am

Checked my junk mail, no sign of it there either. Not that it really matters cos I did get this message
Hi,
I have a lucrative venture worth $48.8Million I'd like to share with you. Please get back to me for fine points.

Regards,
Philip Wong
Guess I'll be camping in the boutique area next year. Pity its not the full $50mil but sure what can you do.

mojo

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:15 am

what could go wong

i_ate_cats

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Just read electricnose's account of the picnic, as always, it's a great read.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/

Late Edit: I see this constantly crop up on the forums about Electric Picnic, the infiltration of brand name tents and a younger crowd, some who were termed dickheads. As far as I concerned this is probably coming from people who attended the old Picnics of 2005, 06,07 etc. Do you not realise that you are just getting older, loads of young people will be turning eighteen this year, why shouldn’t they have a slice of the EP pie. As far a brand name tents go they didn’t really bother me that much, we are all human after all and we all have sets of legs to walk away from them. I would just give places like the tacky carnival, Cocktail Cocktail bar, the 3 mobile place, E-Lite area the swerve and walk to the areas I liked anyway. In fact I think they should add more next year as it acts like a magnet for the youngsters happy to hang about the areas with shit dance music. It means that areas like Body & Soul, Electric Arena, Rankins, Cosby, Despacio and Salty Dog will be potentially dickhead free because they will want to hang about the tacky brand areas. Bar the Bacardi Bar as that does get some reasonable line ups of good DJs.

Rob

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:06 pm

I see this constantly crop up on the forums about Electric Picnic, the infiltration of a younger crowd, some who were termed dickheads. As far as I concerned this is probably coming from people who attended the old Picnics of 2005, 06,07 etc

he is right about this part

Eucrid

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Except no one really complained about the younger people, it was just noted by Rusty.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:35 pm

I notice how he mentioned the boards.ie ep forum but not here, the prick

LordPercy

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:35 pm

He (electricnose) posts on boards too and as you'd expect there was a lot of people there complaining about the youth and the branding, there was a lot with the same opinion as him too though.

I'd have to agree with electric and I saw others giving out about the branding but I couldn't give a fuck. I stopped at Cocktail cocktail on the way passed to get a drink and then skirted past the kids, didn't go near the e-lites or electric ireland places, they may as well not have been there to me.

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Yeah the week before I was grumbling about Electric Ireland and the "Surf laundry disco" (which was empty every time I walked by btw) etc but I was just being a purist.

Once you're amongst it it's grand, nobody is forcing you to do anything. It was neccessary a couple of years ago to get all that commercial cash in to keep the festival alive. It was that or no more Picnic, and nobody wants that.

That said, the E-Lites area was gross. We went in briefly on Sat night and there were roaming promo girls filming the crowd on ipads with big lights mounted on them, sticking them in people's faces. Also going around getting people to sign up for "more info" or whatever. Get the fuckin boat, less is more. We left immediately and that was that.

Was also thinking this morning, about the ageing first generation of Picnic people. Opinions please on whether the next few years will see the organisers work to keep the older crowd, as opposed to attract the younger one, if that makes sense.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:57 pm

They're definitely working to keep the older crowd. When you've Blur and Underworld as 2 of your 3 headliners you aren't chasing 18 year olds thats for sure. One of mates I was with had his girlfriend with him and shes around 21/22 and asked us "what do Blur sing", oh how old I felt.

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Oh my.

It was genius setting up the teenie bopper bar alongside electric ireland, but I reckon another way to keep things under control and un-Oxegenny, for want of a better word, is for that age group to be outnumbered by older people.

I think on some level it would keep them on their best behaviour, like when you get brought to a party with your big brother's mates and try not to make a show of yourself.

Rusty Shackleford

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Whats this E-Lites place everyone is going on about? Dont think i seen it

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:12 pm

It was a DJ area - canopy, dome, video screen, seating etc - sponsored by e-cigarettes. Near the entrance to trailer park I think, down that end anyway.

And it was frightfully uncool, like I said they were filming the crowd and going around whoring e-cigs on the dance floor. Can't be having that. Can deal with ad hoarding and big branded signs, but when they're actually targetting you individually, they can fuck off.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Was that where they showed the GAA? They need to move that if they're going to show sport, it was mental over there during the Dublin match.

LordPercy

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:58 am

Eucrid wrote:Anyone get their discount code from ticketmaster yet?
I just went on to their customer service and said haven't got my code yet but you can see from my order history I've been to 3 and got a code in less than an hour. Should give it a try if you haven't gotten your yet

Eucrid

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Will do, good man.