EP Roll Call

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 am

i don't know why people get so wound up by him. i think he's great.

Mr.K

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:55 am

I get wound up 'cos of his utterly shit band.
I wrote:Fuck off, get free.

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:59 am

Mr.K wrote:I get wound up 'cos of his utterly shit band.
This. They launched in to boom boom by john lee hooker and it was muck, band were playing out of time with each other.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:00 am

people get wound up by him because he's a talentless horrible dickhead in one of the worst bands of all time.

Mr.K

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:01 am

Dick Jones wrote:This. They launched in to boom boom by john lee hooker and it was muck, band were playing out of time with each other.
That is my idea of Hell. What a shit, shit band.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:02 am

yeah that's fair enough. some of the rats stuff is ok but his solo stuff is pretty awful.

but geldof tells a good yarn and i just like the way he carries himself.

ciaoq

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:21 pm

I had good craic. Not the best picnic I have ever been to, but still good. It's absolutely comical how corporate it has become though, I laughed out loud when I saw the "e-lites" area. They are charging so much, get 50,000 people going, why do they have to do that! It's become so incredibly unimaginative. I would imagine Body & Soul would leave if it didn't fund their own festival.
Heineken area
E-lites area
Electric Ireland area
Orchard Thieves area
3Plus area
Red bull area
Cocktail Cocktail area
All doing the same thing! There are probably more I can't remember.

Anyway, I didn't mind the fun fair/cocktail cocktail/red bull are being in the same place because it contained a lot of the nastier oxegen types together. I didn't see too many douchebags in b&s, trailer park, sherwood forest etc. I had a bunch of highlights, Despacio being probably the coolest thing to ever come to EP. Spent about 3 hours in there on the Saturday, everything about it was amazing. Some of the best tunes I have ever heard, and unquestionable the best sound I have ever heard at a festival. I think FKA twigs is up there as one of the best performances I have ever seen at EP, it was breathtaking. Blur were great, Underworld could have been great but it was a shite set list, well the flow of it was anyway. Had such an opportunity to knock it out of the park, shame. I had a fully furnished tipi so the cold didn't effect me, although I do recognise that it was bloody freezing Saturday night.

Overall, I'd go back next year I think, but have really low expectations of what changes/new features there are. Maybe they will have an "Irish water wacky stage" and get Linda Martin to dj.

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:31 pm

Don't forget the Surf Laundry Disco, and Sure deodorant had a heavily branded marquee too.

But yeah the E-Lites area was horrific now that I think of it. We went in while wandering around Sat night, there were ridey promotions girls in branded tees walking around filming the crowd on ipads with big lights on them, then a couple of camera guys on raised platforms filming the crowd.

Fuck that. We left immediately.

meancoolkid

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:35 pm

UNUTTERABLE wrote:
Thought the "vibe" was very relaxed and a huge reduction in the amount of monged tracksuit types about the place largely due to there being no dedicated dance tent.
I don't ever remember "monged tracksuit types" but haven't been to the last two Picnics since calling it a day. Is that the way it is now?
The Electric Picnic seems to be less electric these days and going back to the earlier days of it, the level and amount of great dance music acts and DJ's was hard to beat and is what drew me to it, especially when I saw Kraftwerk on the lineup for my first Picnic!

ciaoq

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:40 pm

Oh yeah, surf and sure area! Just-eat had a big area too. All of these places were practically the same apart from the brand!

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Re the younger crowd, like I said yesterday they didn't bother me at all, but it did occur that since it was such a success for the younglings, I wonder will they show up in even larger numbers next year...

My mates booked a cabin thingy and said in retrospect it was well worth the few quid - little to no queueing for showers or breakfast, stress-free phone charging every night, clean + proper jacks, comfortable sleep, and generally not having to deal with the campsite. That sounds like money well spent to me.

fatguy2k1

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm

@DJ - how much extra did that cost to get a cabin?

mojo

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:25 pm

i enjoy reading this thread after ep

it goes to show everyone's experience of the same event is subjective

Dick Jones

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:39 pm

fatguy2k1 wrote:@DJ - how much extra did that cost to get a cabin?
Can't remember what they said tbh...150 - 200 each for the weekend maybe?

Zook

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:53 pm

I'd rather go on holiday

Phierstarter

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Festival holiday

Zook

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:07 pm

It'd wanna be a week long holiday for that price. Fuck that

Mr.K

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Fuck that.

End of the Road for me next year I'd say. Mates are just back from it and said it was incredible.

Phierstarter

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Zook wrote:It'd wanna be a week long holiday for that price. Fuck that
Well, yeah.

Link

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:44 am

Dick Jones wrote:Had a great weekend. I was impressed by the new additions and increased size. Lots of new random crazy crap to do and see. Much, much younger crowd yeah, but it didn't bother me at all though, the way others are saying here. Let them at it I say.

Remember lads, the young crowd is partly an "I get older, they stay the same age" situation. No reason people of 19, 20 etc shouldn't have a slice of the pie because we're all getting older. We don't own electric picnic. Maybe the spirit and ethos and atmosphere of the festival is different than it was eight or ten years ago, but it has to adapt to survive.

Yes though, a lot of the young fellas were awful jersey shore looking douchebags, with luminous ray bans and the guns out, fake tan girls and flower crowns. Didn't see any bad behaviour other than mess scraps and sick though.

I thought it was clever strategic design putting that new kiddies' disco cocktail bar opposite the 90s arena, a lot of those types wouldnt have gone further than that and the organisers must have known it. It was like Magaluf or something in there.

Increased capacity was very noticeable, but I was never bothered by it. Didn't go near the main stage on Sunday night, but Body & Soul and the other areas were mostly grand I thought.

pretty much agree wtih all of this

there were moments where the extra capacity was noticeable but in saying that i never had to queue long for the bar, portaloos or food. Not any more than usual anyway.
The placement of the Cocktail Cocktail bar was perfect - kept the teenyboppers all herded together.
Body & Soul did feel a bit fuller than usual at times but it was still where I spent most of the weekend.
Trailer Park was really good fun and had loads of little things to see - felt a bit like EP of old around there.

We did the Eco Camping and if I had to camp again I would go there 100%. It was right beside the entrance past the wristbands. Free to register for it, you had to have a wristband to get in so there was that extra bit of security and the majority of the people camped there were our age or older. Loads of space too and none of the mess of the normal campsites. Just had to walk through Oscar Wilde and through the Salty Dog entrance into the Main Arena which took no time at all.

It wasn't the best EP ever, but the extra capacity and younger age profile didn't really affect my weekend, so there's that!

EP was definitely nowhere near Oxegen levels though, Longitude is the Oxegen of 2015 fo sho.
say crack again....