Official Gym Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
stateofyouboy

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:03 am

Thats cool, love the walk out. He's one calm cool motherfucker

maradara

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am

i thought this was gas. about a minute in

'i've had that in me head for months to say that'

phpBB [video]

something child like/innocent in it, but you can imagine how someone can focus on just one thing for months and wrapped up in your head it would get

Rob

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:21 am

I'd told one of my mates he'd probably have something like that ready if he won.

Didn't expect him to say it when it was a tight as fuck win though. Made it a lot more cringe

Dick Jones

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Read an article on fox news there saying Dana White should just give him whatever he wants. Forcing him to fight Aldo OR taking the belt would both make UFC look petty and jealous.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Dick Jones wrote:Read an article on fox news there saying Dana White should just give him whatever he wants. Forcing him to fight Aldo OR taking the belt would both make UFC look petty and jealous.
It'd make a bit of a mockery of the 145 division though. It was bad enough at 200, a fully fit McGregor sitting in the front row watching a dead rubber between Aldo and Edgar. Having said that, it might not be even be an issue. Aldo has baulked already, maybe he's not so keen, or happy enough to wait. And does Edgar deserve to be heard? No one else is knocking hard enough anyway.

From what i've seen on line the last day or two anyway, it seems pretty certain what McGregor wants now. title shot at Alvarez at 155.

From McGregors own POV healthwise, dropping to 155, fighting there first, and then dropping to 145 makes all the sense in the world.

I'd love to know how you go about cutting weight from 170 to 145, when that weight you tacked on to go up was muscle mass. Thats gotta be tricky.

maradara

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 pm

destroying your leg and not being able to train probably doesn't help

Fred__Elliott

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:40 pm

they can't be seen to be holding up a division because of one fighter. It would make them look weak especially with new owners. He's now had 2 fights outside of his weightclass so its only fair that he fights Aldo next imo though I would prefer to see him fight Alvarez and win both belts. Go back down to FW and beat Aldo then let the FW belt go.

If they give in to McGregor (if he is demanding something other than the Aldo fight) it might empower some of the fighters more which is the last thing they want with talk of a fighters association around.

Rob

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:41 pm

itll be over a year without a 145 title match with the champ still active (until this recent medical suspension) and he hasn't even retained the title once. It'd be hard for him to not vacate the belt if he fights at 155 next. Not that he couldn't win 155 and then come and rewin 145

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote: If they give in to McGregor (if he is demanding something other than the Aldo fight) it might empower some of the fighters more which is the last thing they want with talk of a fighters association around.
After Diaz' comments too about sitting everything out till Rd3 with McGregor, he could be tricky to handle too.
he won't be going back to pocketing 50k a fight anyway. he'll be getting a wedge from every PPV from now on surely. (Maybe he was already anyway?)

Fred__Elliott

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Fred__Elliott wrote: If they give in to McGregor (if he is demanding something other than the Aldo fight) it might empower some of the fighters more which is the last thing they want with talk of a fighters association around.
After Diaz' comments too about sitting everything out till Rd3 with McGregor, he could be tricky to handle too.
he won't be going back to pocketing 50k a fight anyway. he'll be getting a wedge from every PPV from now on surely. (Maybe he was already anyway?)
generally main eventers will get PPV points. But Diaz has realised he has negotiating power now. Dana said prior to one of his fights last year that he wasnt a needle mover but he has headlined plenty of Fox cards in the past. He will headline events on his own now as he is in the mainstream. It just depends on how much he wants to do it

enemies/friends

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Anyone know when the UFC Belfast tickets go on sale?

voidoid

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:28 pm

I don't think we'll see Nate Diaz fighting again till another McGregor fight.

There is no other fighter he can face that will earn him one twentieth of what McGregor makes him, even with a cut of the PPV.

Before the first McGregor bout it had been four years since he was even on a PPV card.

Oddly enough by fighting McGregor, little brother Nate has raised Nick's profile higher than it's ever been.

If the earnings aren't going to be expressed as x.x million I don't think we're going to see a Diaz fight again

Fred__Elliott

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:30 pm

voidoid wrote:I don't think we'll see Nate Diaz fighting again till another McGregor fight.

There is no other fighter he can face that will earn him one twentieth of what McGregor makes him, even with a cut of the PPV.

Before the first McGregor bout it had been four years since he was even on a PPV card.

Oddly enough by fighting McGregor, little brother Nate has raised Nick's profile higher than it's ever been.

If the earnings aren't going to be expressed as x.x million I don't think we're going to see a Diaz fight again
I think they'll pay Nick that just to get him back. Which would be mental considering he hasnt won a fight in what, 3/4 years?

Nick vs Lawlor on the same card as Wonderboy vs Woodley would be great

voidoid

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Also Conor needs to return to 145 next or vacate the belt.

It was interesting his comments about not being willing to commit to the drawn out shite that led to the Aldo fight, but if a contender fight (Edgar v Holloway) is booked for the same card then there won't be that excuse.

If the belt is vacated though then you have; a previously unpopular division, with a potentially dominant champ making it look shallow, who's already underperforming stock has been murdered by a 13sec KO.

All that aside though I'd rather Conor just never made that weight cut again. Attempting to hold two belts at the same time is all that's to be gained by it.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:42 pm

voidoid wrote: If the earnings aren't going to be expressed as x.x million I don't think we're going to see a Diaz fight again
That might happen now though. He probably is a needle mover after the 2 fights.
Wiggle enough cash in front of him to fight another 155 contender for the right to fight the winner of McGregor V Alvarez, and i'd say he'd go for it. And you could market that fight easily enough. You could hang the whole 155 division of McGregor now.

That'd be 2 big paydays for Diaz, plus the possibility of a 3rd if Alvarez retained against McGregor.

It must be a sickener to be with the UFC right now and weigh anything other than 155.

Biggy Shackleton

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 am

Didn't realise I had Spike with the freesat until recently, so watched Bellator last night, (wasn't going to stay up for Maia v condit, I'll watch it later.)

Some very good fights last night, bit of a damp squib finish for the main event, but I ended up watching clip after clip of MVP afterwards.
Jesus. He needs to move across to UFC right now. He would clean out that 170 division I reckon. No problem.
He's Anderson Silva levels of streets ahead.

That knee to cyborg santos... The MRI scan of his skull is horrific.

Fred__Elliott

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Bellator are feeding him gimmes for a while now. He's not been tested at the highest level in Bellator let alone the UFC yet. There's a load of hype behind him so they are trying to keep it going with easy fights thus far.

Maia is a beast. Actually makes the fact that Gunni lasted 3 rounds on the ground with him without getting submitted all the more impressive

ingo

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Think Rory MacDonald could derail the MVP hype train. He's got the style that would make him a horrible match up.

enemies/friends

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Some flying kick from Pauge Vanzant to finish her fight last night

Rusty Shackleford

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:49 am

CM Punk is gonna get his ass beat tonight