Official Gym Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
User avatar
JC!
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Thu May 04, 2017 11:17 am

started running in and out of work this week. 7km each way - great to have 14 done by the time you get home in evening. Need to get the fitness back. was supposed to do Connemara, but for various reasons, I've not been able to get my fitness levels up anywhere near where they should be.

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Fri May 05, 2017 8:40 am

I used to get my runs done at lunchtime when I was living in Dublin, usually 8k. Since moving to Hong Kong though, my fitness has gone to shit......hard to run outside with the humidity, and I've had a niggly groin injury for the past few months. Most of my exercise is football or Gaelic now, probably only running around 15-20k a week.

Gonna try to up that, though.

User avatar
stateofyouboy
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am

I remember talking about doing a bit of running on this thread back in the day, now i train 6 days a week for track, on the committee for an athletics club and running an athletics summer camp in July,safe to say it fairly took off :lol:

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Fri May 05, 2017 9:31 am

Jesus, fair play! What distances you running?

User avatar
stateofyouboy
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 am

400m is my baby with a little bit of everything from 100m to 5k throughout the year. absolutely love it, never thought id prefer it to football

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 am

5k is the distance I hate running the most, I think.....the pace I have to keep up is not enjoyable at all, just around 20 minutes of pure pain. Half marathon probably the one I enjoy the most, as I can settle into a decent pace but still feel I'm pushing myself.

Started on some 400m repeats last year, just cause there's a track near my school and doing distance outside is difficult.....they're tough.

Lumbo
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:32 pm

Fri May 05, 2017 10:38 am

I started running in January. I manage 2 5k's a week and play an hours 5 a side on a Wednesday night as well. I've been trying to up the distances of the runs but I've a recurring injury which has put me back to square 1 on few occasions.

User avatar
stateofyouboy
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri May 05, 2017 10:46 am

400 repeats is a great session, would have done it a few times before i decided to stick with 400m training

lumbo can you not sort the injury out once and for all?

Lumbo
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:32 pm

Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 am

stateofyouboy wrote:400 repeats is a great session, would have done it a few times before i decided to stick with 400m training

lumbo can you not sort the injury out once and for all?
I got bloods done and I went for an x-ray & an MRI earlier this year and they said there is nothing wrong with me. The doctor prescribed me a small course of steroids and that done the trick for a few months but I've had a few flare ups recently. I could start a course of physio but I've had bad experiences in the past of paying a lot of money with very little reward.

User avatar
Casino
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Pimped out at the party pit

Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 pm

dwayne wrote:5k is the distance I hate running the most, I think.....the pace I have to keep up is not enjoyable at all, just around 20 minutes of pure pain. Half marathon probably the one I enjoy the most, as I can settle into a decent pace but still feel I'm pushing myself.

Started on some 400m repeats last year, just cause there's a track near my school and doing distance outside is difficult.....they're tough.
What sort of time would you be doing for 5km? I quite enjoy it (recreationally). Quite like 8km too. Like they're just arbitrary figures for me really but do enjoy pushing myself once I get out there.

Humidity in Vietnam is same as HK, winter was lovely for running but it's summer again now and even a leisurely 5km would leave me with a big red head like a beetroot for the night, eugh.

Biggy Shackleton
Posts: 2655
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Fri May 05, 2017 1:54 pm

You in Vietnam Casino? Whereabouts?
Living out there now?

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Fri May 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Casino wrote:What sort of time would you be doing for 5km? I quite enjoy it (recreationally). Quite like 8km too. Like they're just arbitrary figures for me really but do enjoy pushing myself once I get out there.

Humidity in Vietnam is same as HK, winter was lovely for running but it's summer again now and even a leisurely 5km would leave me with a big red head like a beetroot for the night, eugh.
Did one today (treadmill, cause it's 30 degrees) in 21:30....I'd say I could just about manage that in a race now if conditions were ok, maybe get close to 21:00. 18:43 is my best from a couple years ago but I'd be a bit away from that yet. 8km isn't that arbitrary either, sure it's basically 5 miles.

You in a city with GAA out there? I know there's a hurling tournament coming up in Hanoi......I've a Gaelic tournament in Beijing in June. Potentially 37/38 degrees for matches.

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Sat May 06, 2017 10:33 am

Eliud Kipchoge ran 2:00:24 in Monza for the Nike sub 2 marathon project......not WR eligible, but still unbelievably amazing

User avatar
eventSecurity
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:19 pm

Sat May 06, 2017 7:45 pm

JC! wrote:started running in and out of work this week. 7km each way - great to have 14 done by the time you get home in evening. Need to get the fitness back. was supposed to do Connemara, but for various reasons, I've not been able to get my fitness levels up anywhere near where they should be.
Didn't know ye were looking at connemara. It was a bastard. I'd only 350 miles done in training so knew be hard. Very warm day, got sunburnt & all. Had to walk from mile 18-20 then from 22.5-24. Came home in 4:13 so not bad, it's not a PB course. And i had gotten up at 4am, drove to galway, did marathon and drove home. Then did the dundalk 10k 2 days later in 46mins.

I'm back cycle training now, have a 190k charity cycle in june. Then the ankle needs to be looked at, was agony in DCM 15, took last year off really and exact same after Connemara. If not out too long I'll go for a PB attempt in Dublin.
Image

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 am

dwayne wrote:Eliud Kipchoge ran 2:00:24 in Monza for the Nike sub 2 marathon project......not WR eligible, but still unbelievably amazing
Article says scientists already believed that <2hrs was humanly impossible, and this run, with flawless + rigged conditions, seems to have proved them right.

Made me think, the 100m WR is 9.58, at what point will that be set in stone. There has to be a limit, even if the athlete is juiced up to the eyeballs.

User avatar
enemies/friends
Posts: 3237
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Mon May 08, 2017 1:51 pm

I hope they try again. How often did they say a sub 4 minute mile was impossible and now it's down to 3.43 or something.

24 seconds is obviously less than a second per mile over the course of the race to shake off, you could potentially shave that off with a lighter running vest and shoes.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Mon May 08, 2017 2:22 pm

In the nip, wearing those shoes that have wheels in the heel.

User avatar
dwayne
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Contact:

Mon May 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
dwayne wrote:Eliud Kipchoge ran 2:00:24 in Monza for the Nike sub 2 marathon project......not WR eligible, but still unbelievably amazing
Article says scientists already believed that <2hrs was humanly impossible, and this run, with flawless + rigged conditions, seems to have proved them right.

Made me think, the 100m WR is 9.58, at what point will that be set in stone. There has to be a limit, even if the athlete is juiced up to the eyeballs.
Ah it's not impossible at all, he got incredibly close. Not WR eligible (Boston Marathon isn't either), but bit harsh to say it was rigged. He still had to run 42.2km.

I'd say 2:00 will be broken in the next few years now....might be quite a while before it's done at a WR eligible big city marathon though.

User avatar
Dick Jones
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Ah yeah no by rigged I just mean the conditions and location were carefully chosen, the environment; every advantage that could be availed of, was.

User avatar
maradara
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: where it's hot

Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 am

i think he only fell off the pace set in hte last 2 laps

Post Reply