Official Gym Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
What event was that Dara do you know? Some of the newer commentators are very knowledgeable but are still pretty green when it comes to live commentary.

If I hadn't already been doing the training then I don't know if I'd ever of gotten any understanding or appreciation for the grappling. I probably wouldn't of ended up watching the sport at all outside of maybe Conor's fights
voidoid

I've just joined a gym and am completely clueless.

Anyone got links for an easy to understand weights program, maybe? Probably just working on core and stuff for running/football purposes I'd say.
dwayne

Can't remember what the fight was I watched, but it was recently enough.

Dwayne, The guy on YouTube channel called athlean-x is very good. I stopped doing a lot of damaging chest exercises after watching his stuff

It's taking me longer to recover from injury. Wrecked my ankle in Nov and it's still not 100%.played football tonight and can still feel it
maradara

dwayne wrote:I've just joined a gym and am completely clueless.

Anyone got links for an easy to understand weights program, maybe? Probably just working on core and stuff for running/football purposes I'd say.

this is my issue with gyms!
JC!

JC! wrote:

Shouldn't someone employed in the gym be doing this for you. You're paying enough money to be there.
Lumbo

Yeah I joined up a a few months ago, when I signed up they made an appointment with an instructor who showed me how to use the machines and gave me a simple beginner's program.

That was the start of December, he said do this couple of times a week, then come find me at the end of January and we'll move on to the next level.

Do other gyms just take your money and leave you at the door?
Dick Jones

I joined flye fit, and yeah, essentially they did. gave a tour of where things are and left me on my way. and like, I made it obvious I was an idiot

a buddy of mine joined before me, and the same girl gave him a full hour session like you've just described!
JC!

Maybe she fancied him.
Dick Jones

Dick Jones wrote:Maybe she fancied him.
Fred__Elliott

i always hated that about being new in a gym with dick all experience. Also not wanting to ask for help.

At the minimum, the staff there should be able to give you a program, and answer any questions about machines or technique if you need it.

Other than that, they'll try get you to get a PT. Not the worst idea ever if just to get you started, so long as it's not your long term plan.

I've heard flyfit is like a jungle though, where you're fighting to get at the equipment you want. I think the one in swords doesn't even have showers and there's only like 1 or 2 people working
Rob

makes sense
swords smells
maradara

"where can I plug these hair clippers in?"
Fred__Elliott

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Dick Jones wrote:Maybe she fancied him.

she might have a fetish for 25 stone men.
JC!

JC! wrote:I joined flye fit, and yeah, essentially they did. gave a tour of where things are and left me on my way. and like, I made it obvious I was an idiot

a buddy of mine joined before me, and the same girl gave him a full hour session like you've just described!

If you sign in to your account on the website you can book a session with one of the staff I think.
Shatners Bassoon

Shatners Bassoon wrote:
JC! wrote:I joined flye fit, and yeah, essentially they did. gave a tour of where things are and left me on my way. and like, I made it obvious I was an idiot

If you sign in to your account on the website you can book a session with one of the staff I think.

i did - that session was the tour! I've been meaning to book a personal trainer but my calendar is ridiculous to try and track. I usually have <1 week's notice for travel.

so I'm just becoming a fat mess instead :)
JC!

Lumbo wrote:
JC! wrote:

Shouldn't someone employed in the gym be doing this for you. You're paying enough money to be there.

I got a one hour session with a personal trainer about form, and then had him try to sell me more sessions. I've turned all of those down.....figure two days a week of weights, and do another class or two (they're included at least).
dwayne

Apparently McGregor said Mayweather is a Malteser with eyes. A little surprised that didn't cause some uproar
Rob

Glad to see its not.
He's slagging his "small, round, brown head". Immature, childish and boorish it may be, but to take it out of context so everyone came scream racist would be disingenous and not achieve anything of value
voidoid

ugh, made a checklist last week so I wouldn't forget to bring something to the gym, like spare socks or underwear or my towel

forgot to include tshirt on the list :|
Rob

My gym's actually quite good, in that t-shirt, shorts, socks and towels are all provided.

Of course, it'd fucking wanna be for the price I pay.
dwayne

PreviousNext

Return to The Electric Picnic