Official Gym Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
dwayne

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:29 am

Just from my own experience, I'd echo what eventsec says. I've still not joined a gun actually (though might do soon).

MyFitnessPal and a couch to 5k app might be a good start. Build yourself up slowly on the running, there's no rush at all. But you don't have to invest in much equipment, you can run by yourself at your own pace, and there's really no other exercise as efficient as running (over 100 calories burned per mile, basically)

Mexicola

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Mr.Snrub wrote:I haven't read a single post on this thread, 'cause I'm a fat bastard.....but due to my fat bastardness, I am giving strong consideration to battling my intense social awkwardness and finally joining a gym.

Is it worth it? Honestly?

And by any chance does anyone have experience of the YMCA gym in Sandymount? It's the closest one to me and therefore the most appealing, as I don't wanna have to exert myself too much before even ariving at the shaggin' place......
i've only been there once, it's an ok gym, equipment etc is modern but it had no squat rack/cage which would rule it out for me
2 points, 8 games, 1 hero.

The team for ENIC's first game at the helm, a defeat at Derby:
N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand

dwayne

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Mexicola, have you been to Raw Condition?

Jack

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:28 am

I actually found the gym great for losing weight. I'd run marathons and played a good bit of rugby fat enough, the gym seemed to work a lot better for me.

Eventsec is right though, diet is everything. Use a calorie counter. You don't have to stick rigidly to it but it will help you make easy substitutions (I changed from flat whites, or lattes at home, to black coffees or skinny caps if you don't mind ordering them). Set realistic weight targets and go for them (max 1kg per week). Allow yourself some cheats too.

Mexicola

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 am

dwayne wrote:Mexicola, have you been to Raw Condition?
Yep, used to train there. Its a great gym if you're into lifting, quite pricey but the staff and atmosphere are great.
2 points, 8 games, 1 hero.

The team for ENIC's first game at the helm, a defeat at Derby:
N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand

bartleby

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Started back at Muay Thai last week after taking 3 months off course of my course. Holy fuck im unfit again. Hopefully the struggle back to where i was wont take too long.

enemies/friends

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Did my first rowing race (in a single boat) in almost 3 years on Saturday there. Have been doing a bit of training and really ramped it up the last month or so, but nowhere near as much as I'd have liked or been able to do when I last rowed properly at university.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it! I did better than I was expecting with regards to going flat out for longer than I'd predicted, but not as well as I'd have liked. Definitely got the taste back though and will be ramping things up a bit more now to have a go at the Irish Championships in July.

stateofyouboy

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:48 am

entered my first 5k race this Saturday along with my 3 brothers, can't wait!

stateofyouboy

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 am

its in termonfechin for any of you louth runners

never_green

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 pm

got my first half marathon coming up the weekend after next, woefully under prepared with distance running but sure worst case scenario i'll hobble over the line.

is it necessary to have any gels for a run like that or is it unnecessary. or is just having a reasonable breakfast a few hours beforehand the way to go

dwayne

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:33 pm

I wouldn't use gels at all for a HM, they'll have water throughout the course and likely bananas, orange slices, etc as well.

I always have porridge and coffee for breakfast, good couple hours beforehand though. Wanna make sure you're cleared out

dwayne

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm

I'll not be going any further with my complaint against PP, so. €5 saved!

never_green

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm

porridge and coffee was the plan. going to be an early start to ensure i have it a few hours before though but you think it's worth it?

i'll skip the gels so, there's water stations and 'hydration' stations which i think is some hyrdration sports drink providing free samples

dwayne

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Yeah, I've done a fair few half and full marathons, coffee and porridge every time. Hasn't backfired on me yet. I'd usually have it around 2-3 hours before the race.

You'll want to eat after the race, definitely. But water and sports drinks for the race is grand I find.

tickleelmo

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Mr.Snrub wrote:I haven't read a single post on this thread, 'cause I'm a fat bastard.....but due to my fat bastardness, I am giving strong consideration to battling my intense social awkwardness and finally joining a gym.

Is it worth it? Honestly?

And by any chance does anyone have experience of the YMCA gym in Sandymount? It's the closest one to me and therefore the most appealing, as I don't wanna have to exert myself too much before even ariving at the shaggin' place......
I don't go to the Sandymount one but I go to the Aungier Street one and find it great. It's basic but the classes are brilliant and there's loads of different types. Have lost 4 stone in the last year just from gym and changing my diet

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Fair play elmo, that's brilliant.

eventSecurity

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:12 pm

4 stone, thats serious work. Well done

dwayne

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:20 pm

How's your running going, eventsec? Any halfs or fulls signed up for the summer?

eventSecurity

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Just getting back into it over past few weeks. Plan is

Great Ireland Run (10k) - April 11th
Dundalk 10k - April 22nd
Boyne 10k - May 3rd
Cooley 12.5k - May 15th
Newry HM - May 23rd

Marathon training will start then for DCM, ill do the race series I'd say. Will do the one this year, dont have the time or desire to do any more.

Saw in the other thread you have a few planned, 2 fulls yeah?

dwayne

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Plan on racing 2, and hoping to do the DCM as a pacer again. Have it in my head to do 10 by the time I'm 30, so will need to do 3 this year and 3 again next year. Literally just paid for the Stockholm Marathon, which is on May 30th. Plan is to do another one around August/September time. I did the Donegal/Letterkenny half last year, might do the full this year (August 23rd).

Only HM I've signed up for so far is the Wexford Half in April. Doing it as a pacer for 1:45, which will be good training for Stockholm. I can well manager 1:45 (1:38 is my best now), but I'll need to be proper training and that kinda forces me into it.