Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Phierstarter wrote:Not just because of the number. The number is fuck all extra per month with most tax systems.
It's for the opportunity.

could still be €300/€400 a month extra to him. that'd significantly contribute to a saving for a deposit for a gaf etc

piebald, if you're going to be doing performance reviews and managing people in general, you should be given support from the company in the way of training etc so its not something I would look at as a con at all. It will open up a lot of further opportunities down the line as well
Fred__Elliott

maradara wrote:That sounds like a no brainer buddy. You've got to take that.
Responsibility for reviews and other people's career paths is just how it goes as you get older, you shouldn't really see it as a negative.
Why would you have to walk away? Surely you could fix anything that wasn't working out.
I wouldn't be thinking twice about a 25% increase

My reservations mainly revolve around my ability to manage people. I'm not an overly assertive person but I have definitely improved in that respect over the last 2 years in my current role

In terms of having to walk away. I feel the nature of the job/industry(it's extremely regulated) makes it difficult to make improvements which I would be ultimately judged on

Phierstarter wrote:Not just because of the number. The number is fuck all extra per month with most tax systems.
It's for the opportunity.

The money is significant enough to greatly increase my chance of getting mortgage approval in the next few years. Also, I know fuck all about pensions but I think I could up my contribution to avoid some of the tax. Obviously my net income would be reduced but long term it's not a bad thing

Fred__Elliott wrote:could still be €300/€400 a month extra to him. that'd significantly contribute to a saving for a deposit for a gaf etc

piebald, if you're going to be doing performance reviews and managing people in general, you should be given support from the company in the way of training etc so its not something I would look at as a con at all. It will open up a lot of further opportunities down the line as well

Yep it would be worth at least 400 net a month. Not to be scoffed at. Especially considering I have a limited formal education

The company doesn't exactly have a great rep in terms of training though. It's a sink or swim culture which is why I'm apprehensive. I'd have to be forceful in contract negotiations to get that training plan in writing

After having a good think about it over the weekend, I'll definitely talk to management and have plenty of questions ready. It is a great opportunity
Piebald pony

best of luck!
Fred__Elliott

Piebald pony wrote:My reservations mainly revolve around my ability to manage people. I'm not an overly assertive person but I have definitely improved in that respect over the last 2 years in my current role

You can learn that by doing it IMO. My wife was the same with all that side of things but she got used to it quick enough. There are always going to some uncomfortable and even scary parts of progressing up the ladder. As Don Draper said "thats what the money is for".
Eucrid

couldn't see myself ever turning down that sort of an increase tbf

they're offering you the added responsibility because they think you are capable. take that backing and run with it.
JC!

I could probably get +25% with the same title just by changing my company.
Phierstarter

That's great news
eventSecurity

the number is fuck all though after tax in most codes
Fred__Elliott

What's tax?
maradara

Fred__Elliott wrote:the number is fuck all though after tax in most codes

25% even at the higher rate is not to be sniffed at!
JC!

its fuck all JC
Fred__Elliott

for a single individual (discounting any reliefs) on the avg industrial wage, it'd represent about an extra 400e a month in your pocket.

I'm not sure about you, but that's not fuck all to me.
JC!

45k = 2810/month in Ireland, 2292/month in Germany.
55k = 3235 Ireland, 2703 Germany. Is all i'm saying.
Phierstarter

very similar marginal rates there, but there must be a very low german cut off or credits?
JC!

There's no lower/higher cut off point, just loads of factors i couldn't begin to describe.
Like if the sun is in Pisces, you're screwed.
Phierstarter

I just take it for granted at this stage that any increase I get, I'll only see half it make it into my pocket, may even be less.

Piebald, you absolutely should take the promotion. Experience actually doing the managing and a half decent mentor will serve you so much better than any training will provide you.

I did a two day course on Managing technical staff last year. It was half decent and the instructor basically said the same as above.

I could send you on some of the notes that could work as a decent jump off point for your own research. I personally would bother with more than a few days of formal course training anyway. It mostly just dealt with a bit of self awareness, emotional intelligence, structure/roles and communication
voidoid

I'm about to dial in to a 5 hour conference call for which I have interest for less than 10 minutes.

So, today, no. I don't like my job.
enemies/friends

enemies/friends wrote:I'm about to dial in to a 5 hour conference call for which I have interest for less than 10 minutes.

So, today, no. I don't like my job.

What? How? Why?
5hrs? You could have a conference in that time. Is there any entertainment put on during it?
voidoid

It was actually a meeting in London, but I couldn't go over so had to dial in. There were a half dozen or so in the same boat. I was sitting in for one of the managers in here who was off today as well.

It was pretty much as grim as I expected. It was fine if someone right beside the phone was speaking, but if they were more than a couple of metres away it was pretty much silence
enemies/friends

Surely you just watch Netflix or something
eventSecurity

PreviousNext

Return to The Electric Picnic