Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
shivo

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Zook wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm
if theres one thing i cant fucking stick in work.. its the people who pretend they're really hectically busy but they've actually got fuck all to do.

one of the girls always runs up our corridor letting on something is urgent but i know full well she's only going the jacks. unless she has the shits...
Let me tell you from experience...

fatguy2k1

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am

Not really loving my job at the moment. had a team meeting last monday and was blindsided when we were told there was re-structuring going on. So I've be re-structured out of a job. I can re-apply for what was my role (with added jobs and new title), apply for a number of the new roles or take redundancy. The redundancy package is a fully years pay, which is pretty decent. 95% going to take it an jump into looking for a job. got until the end of November to get something sorted.

not only all that but we had a pre-season lunch on friday. Everything was grand, until sunday morning when we all started dropping like flies. some bug/food poising got us all. Office was closed yesterday and the players were told to stay away for a few days. Sunday was not a good day for me.

Zook

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:38 am

jesus take the redundancy and run

Phierstarter

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 am

a year is good

maradara

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am

a year's pay would be very nice. would you find it handy enough to get a job where you are?

could you take the redundancy and still re-apply? :)

JC!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

started talking to recruiters in London today - whoop

stateofyouboy

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am

My friend just got redundancy of about 100k and is off travelling the world with his wife for the year. Where i work you'd get the bare minimum, i worked out id get about 9k after 7-8 years, something woeful like that, never be worth it

JC!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am

how confident would you be of getting another comparable role in the city?

I know I'd take it and run. nice chunk towards a deposit like.

question, has any ever been paid out on their bonus whilst in their notice period? I would have always thought, no, but I've a colleague who thinks differently.

hard to ask these questions internally without clearly triggering that you're about to hand in notice!

maradara

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 am

i would say you've little to no chance of a bonus while in your notice period, especially if it's discretionary, unless you're staying within the group and moving to another company/country

fatguy2k1

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 am

maradara wrote:
a year's pay would be very nice. would you find it handy enough to get a job where you are?

Yeah, i think there would be jobs around Galway for me to apply for. Hopefully something comes of that.

work made it seam it was redundancy or re-apply didn't say I could so both. Legally, I think I can but I was looking to get a "real" job after my wife gives birth at the end of Feb. If i get a job quickly, it works out perfect, I get money upfront for the kid and money to put towards our mortgage application. That's how i'm looking at it.

JC!

that's what I always thought. in which case I'd need to stay until end of may which I'm not willing to do. I'd rather leave first week in Jan.

the whole purpose of the bonus is to try and tie people in for longer sure.

Eucrid

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:54 am

That sounds like a great deal fatguy. You could try find one of those free courses while you're searching too if you fancy it. Loads about and you'd look pro-active to new employers plus it'd stop you getting bored/lazy while you're between gigs. And you'd be skilling up.

Zook

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:55 am

fatguy2k1 wrote:
maradara wrote:

Yeah, i think there would be jobs around Galway for me to apply for. Hopefully something comes of that.

work made it seam it was redundancy or re-apply didn't say I could so both. Legally, I think I can but I was looking to get a "real" job after my wife gives birth at the end of Feb. If i get a job quickly, it works out perfect, I get money upfront for the kid and money to put towards our mortgage application. That's how i'm looking at it.
ah is she having a baby? Congrats!!

mooch

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm

congrats fatguy!!

enemies/friends

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Congrats Eoin!

From what you say I'd take that redundancy - it seems a pretty good package and should tide you over for a decent amount of time. Is it taxed do you know? My dad (who had been with the same company for almost 40 years) got a redundancy which was something like 3 years final salary tax free as a lump sum. The tax free element of it made a big difference as it was basically equivalent of about 5 years salary then

enemies/friends

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Working in the environmental sector has been a fairly bumpy ride with all sorts of ups and downs and threats of redundancy or the business closing etc, but we just won a new project. It's a 3 year one which is based around using renewable energy to provide hydrogen to power public transport networks. And I get to be the person in the company who works on it so it gives me 3 years of a certain level of certainty.

Going to use that to start to develop my own business and put a bit of cash away for it here and there so that when the project ends I can go off and do something different. If I get to the end of that project I'll have been here 8 years which would be easily the longest I've worked in one place

maradara

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 pm

JC! wrote:
that's what I always thought. in which case I'd need to stay until end of may which I'm not willing to do. I'd rather leave first week in Jan.

the whole purpose of the bonus is to try and tie people in for longer sure.
yeah it's the same idea here. bonuses paid out for the previous year, mid year

fatguy2k1

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks guys, yeah due 21st of Feb. all exciting. bar the whole losing my job thing...

I think the statutory redundancy is tax free so 23 of the 52 weeks. the package is decent enough, especially since i was thinking of leaving anyway. My wife is already looking at courses for me to do in january. There is a bursary of €3k to be put towards re-training on top of the redundancy so i'll try and hit that up as well.

maradara

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:27 pm

congrats fatguy. it could all work out nicely, so hoping for that

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Congrats on the incoming new arrival Eoin, and by the sounds of it, happy days with the redundancy too.
That's a huge offer. It that was voluntary i'd even still be biting their hand off, especially if i was thinking of leaving anyway.
A little bump in the road now, but down the line, once you get sorted with something else, you'll look it it and think it was a godsend.

Not bad number to have on your CV around Galway either.