Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
voidoid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm
Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:28 pm
I remember 10 -15 years ago, reading reports from the U.S. where the wisdom was that the spike in mental health problems that the then 30-40 year olds were experiencing was as a result of their parents who had it good in 60’s pre counter-culture U.S.A, telling them the world was going to be their oyster, and then when they got out into the real world, and found that they weren’t having things all their own way, they weren’t equipped to deal with it and the mental health problem developed from there.
Surely the spike in mental health problems is more a case of recognising people had mental health problems than anything else.
It's definitely a case of both. We were born into the end of a depression and grew up during what was the only real, sustained economic boom in the history of the state. Cable and satellite opened up the world to us and our horizons and world view now reached far further than the UK. Air travel became widely affordable, EU money was pouring into the country and regular individuals had spending power across the world. We were as good and as talented as anyone else in the world. Then the arse fell out of the global house of cards and the Irish economy had a foundation of nothing but optimism. That's a hard adjustment to make when all you've known is an upward trend.

I'm a big believer that people's satisfaction with their life and lot has a lot to do with how they feel they're doing relative to others around them. We're bombarded with the details and circumstances of people living far more fulfilling lives than our own. Never before have people been exposed to the many many ways other people are succeeding. It can be taken as inspiration and motivation, drive ambition, produce entitlement, sow dissatisfaction. Personally I feel quite privileged that I got to grow up with computers but was an adult before broadband. We were bombarded by ads on television but it's nothing compared to growing up with the ocean of digital media available now.
Eucrid wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm
The only coherent thing about millennials as a generation IMO is there relationship to technology and all the complications that come along with it like social media, privacy, ad tracking, etc Calling a generation snowflakes and entitled is just reductive bullshit and it happens to pretty much every generation. Its "young people today" wrapped in academic language and shit out through a tabloid filter.
Absolutely.

There's also such a glut of video and images showing the most foolish and idiotic instances of young people's behaviour that i think the extent and prevalence of these "millennial" issues gets blown well out of proportion.

voidoid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:10 pm

mooch wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm
"snowflakes" get offended by everything

it's not a generation, it's a type of person (usually a millennial)
I actually think it's a great word.

A beautiful, fragile, one in a billion individual that is tragically sensitive.
It's just gotten so overused

mooch

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:13 pm

it's a perfect description, apart from the one in a billion part

Phierstarter

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Next up: SJW.

mooch

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm

people who are "woke"

maradara

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 pm

voidoid wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 pm
Then the arse fell out of the global house of cards and the Irish economy had a foundation of nothing but optimism. That's a hard adjustment to make when all you've known is an upward trend.
Not sure if I mentioned it here, but gave a presentation to the team recently about market conditions and while preparing it, realised that no one else below me had ever experienced anything but an upward trend in markets/spends/salary etc. They are all post crash employees

I don't think the crash helped build character or anything, but it certainly gives you a different perspective

i_ate_cats

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 pm

i_ate_cats wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm
Anyone ever do a skype type interview with an American company?

Have a half hour interview with a company on Thursday. Short notice, leaving me one day to prepare probably for the best.

Need to make a presentation on why they should give me the job. That was the brief, the only guide was, be creative.

Yikes.
So the initial interview went fine.

Second round interview involved delivering an hour long online class on a topic that I know nothing about and unrelated to the job. (The job is a software training position so they picked a history topic that wouldn't be terribly well know) I think it went ok, I've no real metre stick to compare it to as it was the first interview of that kind that I've done.

Got an email to arrange a meeting for next week to give 'feedback' on the second interview. Is this the brush off?

Phierstarter

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Urgh, hate unrelated test shit like that. Bad sign tbh.

i_ate_cats

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:40 am

Yeah. It was the brush off.

Oh well. There's a week of my life that I'm not getting back.

maradara

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:51 am

sorry to hear cat

i_ate_cats

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Turns out I'm not quite 'cool or edgy' enough, they wanted something more like a youtube video.

Yeah, a fucking hour long youtube video of being cool and edgy.

Anyway... starting a masters tomorrow that'll hopefully help get me out of the current dead end career path. There better be a module in cool and edgy.

maradara

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:15 pm

i'd hate to work with someone cool and edgy. sounds horrible

Dick Jones

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Yeah I'm starting a course in a few weeks, postgraduate in software development. C+, Java, programming for Android, web development; should be able to affect a career change in 1-2 years.

Can't wait for that, but also to get back into learning mode. I expect it will start off quite nicely, then get monstrously difficult pretty much overnight.

bartleby

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Java is fine. Web development can be a bit tricky at the start (depending on if you are doing front end or back end). I fucking hate C++. Cant stand it, did my Masters in it and had 2 jobs in it and fucking hate it. Id say focus on the other two if possible. Plenty of work in both these days. More than C++ really. Im a javascript and JQuery developer these days.

Phierstarter

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Sure, but C++ pays better.

bartleby

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:12 pm

yeah prob if you become a lead developer or an architect or something but for a standard software developer role its the same

Phierstarter

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 pm

My head is melted trying to package python modules to run in a lambda function. Don't suppose you're familiar?

maradara

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:03 pm

bartleby

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:18 am

Phierstarter wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 pm
My head is melted trying to package python modules to run in a lambda function. Don't suppose you're familiar?
not a bit

Zook

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm

if theres one thing i cant fucking stick in work.. its the people who pretend they're really hectically busy but they've actually got fuck all to do.

one of the girls always runs up our corridor letting on something is urgent but i know full well she's only going the jacks. unless she has the shits...