Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Eucrid

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Wiki says "Howe and Strauss define the Millennial cohort as consisting of individuals born between 1982 and 2004" so no, not me. Fucking millennials.

bartleby

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 pm

ah here. thats a 20 year difference. Thats too much. I always thought millenials were born in the 90's.

Zook

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm defo a millennial

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:02 am

maradara wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm
Whether you simply consist yourself part of a demographic, or not. Obviously

Do you consider yourself 16-24?
Well this is why i asked, because i've read somewhere that millennials DoB is considered to be from 1980/81 onwards, so that'd take in an awful lot more than just 24 year olds.

And i ask because Generation snowflake now seems to be an interchangeable term with millennial. So do the snowflakes get triggered by all the guff they're getting?

voidoid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I was born in late 81 so too late to be Gen-X but too early to be considered a millenial.

I'd say finishing school/college during the recession or growing up with ubiquitous internet is a far bigger factor.
If you're born in the early 80s you grew up with MTV and extra tv channels (in Dublin anyway) but with extremely limited internet. Also you probably had a few years of working/partying in the Celtic Tiger days. Pretty much straddling the edge of era defining changes.
Next one will be kids growing up in a world with AI that may well never learn to drive or know city centres choked up with vehicle emmissions.

Eucrid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:11 pm

The idea that millenials are snowflakes is bollox. The baby boomers have left them a sack of shit to deal with and are giving them guff for not being happy about it.

maradara

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:32 pm

never heard generation snowflake.

the generations are too broad a range to mean anything now anyway when categorising demographics, given how quickly technology is changing everything. there's probably not a huge difference between people born between '62 and '80. but if you were born in '81 vs being born in '99, that's a pretty big swing in lifestyle change. you either grew up with atari or a smartphone. you can't really lump those people together for any meaningful

Phierstarter

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm

maradara wrote:
That's because it's all a load of nonsense.

enemies/friends

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I was 81 as well. I went to university for a year when I was "supposed to" in 1999 but then when I finally went back properly it was with people born in 1990 so that was a pretty interesting contrast in how people interacted and how technology had totally changed the way university worked. And it's evolved even more since then.

I preferred the 1999 lifestyle pre broadband. I remember downloading a leaked copy of Kid A over dial up. It took pretty much an entire evening per track and I couldn't ope web pages at the same time. It felt like an event stealing music back then.

Eucrid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:46 pm

maradara wrote:
Its very alt-righty.

Eucrid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:47 pm

enemies/friends wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm
I was 81 as well. I went to university for a year when I was "supposed to" in 1999 but then when I finally went back properly it was with people born in 1990 so that was a pretty interesting contrast in how people interacted and how technology had totally changed the way university worked. And it's evolved even more since then.

I preferred the 1999 lifestyle pre broadband. I remember downloading a leaked copy of Kid A over dial up. It took pretty much an entire evening per track and I couldn't ope web pages at the same time. It felt like an event stealing music back then.
I used to download stuff on napster, then connect my stereo to the output jack on my PC speakers and record my downloaded stuff onto tape so I could listen to it on the go.

maradara

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm

we had one laptop between our college group of 4, and all i remember was the weight of it. brick. the only guy who wasn't from dublin needed it to work at home, so he lagged it around all day. it wasn't until the end of college that notes were available through the intranet in DIT. why would anyone even break their wrist struggling to write down everything being said anymore. even that short time had a huge swing

going back as a mature student probably wouldn't be the craic i could imagine. although the girls would be younger....i could get turn down by a different generation!

enemies/friends

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Yeah I used Napster as well and put it on a mini disc player cos I was way ahead of my times when it came to music tech.

I also used the mini disc and a microphone to record gigs, burn them to CD and swap them as bootlegs via some early Compuserv or AOL forum

enemies/friends

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm

maradara wrote:
we had one laptop between our college group of 4, and all i remember was the weight of it. brick. the only guy who wasn't from dublin needed it to work at home, so he lagged it around all day. it wasn't until the end of college that notes were available through the intranet in DIT. why would anyone even break their wrist struggling to write down everything being said anymore. even that short time had a huge swing

going back as a mature student probably wouldn't be the craic i could imagine. although the girls would be younger....i could get turn down by a different generation!
Haha, that's how I've ended up engaged to someone 8 years younger than me :lol:

Queens when I was there in 1999 felt like it had about 2 computer rooms with about 15 computers in each. It was probably more but that was all I knew of. It had broadband though so was so much faster than home internet. There were definitely no laptops, yet when I went back every single student had one and there were thousands of computers all over the place.

maradara

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

8 years! good man
does half your age + 7 still apply? not sure where that age rule came from
i technically ended up going to jordanstown when i moved to belfast after my masters, but never set foot in the place. always thought that belfast felt like an excellent college city

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:11 pm
The idea that millenials are snowflakes is bollox. The baby boomers have left them a sack of shit to deal with and are giving them guff for not being happy about it.
That's a bit of a glib take on it though, no?

I remember 10 -15 years ago, reading reports from the U.S. where the wisdom was that the spike in mental health problems that the then 30-40 year olds were experiencing was as a result of their parents who had it good in 60’s pre counter-culture U.S.A, telling them the world was going to be their oyster, and then when they got out into the real world, and found that they weren’t having things all their own way, they weren’t equipped to deal with it and the mental health problem developed from there.

Tbh, I think we’re all a bit generation snowflake, including Gen-X, relatively speaking.
Any of us who’ve ever bought a scented candle, drank a Chai Latte, or been to see a Marvel film… we weren’t exactly conscripted into the front lines at Verdun.

I'm not even going to get into man-buns and skinny jeans brigade, but there's a spectrum of Snowflakes i think, and we're all on there somewhere.

Biggy Shackleton

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:33 pm

maradara wrote:
we had one laptop between our college group of 4, and all i remember was the weight of it. brick.
Laptop!?
You were lucky to have laptop.

There were 160 of us living in small shoebox in middle of road.

Phierstarter

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Any of us who’ve ever bought a scented candle, drank a Chai Latte, or been to see a Marvel film… we weren’t exactly conscripted into the front lines at Verdun.
I don't think that's the intention of this term, it's more about these sort of people
phpBB [video]

and yes it is alt-righty.

Eucrid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
I remember 10 -15 years ago, reading reports from the U.S. where the wisdom was that the spike in mental health problems that the then 30-40 year olds were experiencing was as a result of their parents who had it good in 60’s pre counter-culture U.S.A, telling them the world was going to be their oyster, and then when they got out into the real world, and found that they weren’t having things all their own way, they weren’t equipped to deal with it and the mental health problem developed from there.
Surely the spike in mental health problems is more a case of recognising people had mental health problems than anything else.
Tbh, I think we’re all a bit generation snowflake, including Gen-X, relatively speaking.
Sounds a bit American to me. My grandads fathers fought in wars but my Grandads didn't. Marvel films, scented candles and chai lattes are far more about consumer culture than anything else.
I'm not even going to get into man-buns and skinny jeans brigade, but there's a spectrum of Snowflakes i think, and we're all on there somewhere.
Different eras, different fashion trends. Nothing new there. Again nothing "snowflakey" about it.

The only coherent thing about millennials as a generation IMO is there relationship to technology and all the complications that come along with it like social media, privacy, ad tracking, etc Calling a generation snowflakes and entitled is just reductive bullshit and it happens to pretty much every generation. Its "young people today" wrapped in academic language and shit out through a tabloid filter.

mooch

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm

"snowflakes" get offended by everything

it's not a generation, it's a type of person (usually a millennial)