Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Dick Jones

Wed May 31, 2017 2:10 pm

shivo wrote:Over the past few weeks I've put a lot of thought into my career and decided that I am going to apply to move to another department. I was too fed up with myself and one of the girls covering 90% of the work, while two others were taken from our team and replaced with 1 useless girl and a new guy who's very, very green.

I was about half way through writing a message to my boss to ask for a quick meeting to let him know I'm applying for a role in our Depository Bank department when I got a message from the other decent one on the team asking for a quick meeting to let me know she is applying for a role in our Depository Bank department.

This is gonna be very interesting.

shivo

Wed May 31, 2017 2:58 pm

Lumbo wrote:Advise her that it's a bad idea and then get your application in first :thumbs:
She's going for a lower level role than I am. So there's no conflict there.
I'd love if the two of us got the roles.

Had the chat with my boss, not long after she had.
I opened with "So I had a chat with X. I told you months ago this was going to happen but..."
Then he kinda cut me off and launched into this rant about how this was gonna leave us in a bad shape and it was unfair to me etc etc. Then finished up with "...I can understand her frustrations and I'm glad she came to me before she pulled the trigger. Will you promise me that you'll do the same if you're ever thinking about leaving?"

"About that....."

maradara

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 am

Did you tell him or what

enemies/friends

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:29 am

Got an 8% pay rise. Sweet.

dwayne

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 am

i_ate_cats wrote:I've been working in community education for over 7 years. I like the work but there's no security and the money sucks. I've had ongoing issues with contracts and I'm fed up of it. There's no pay scale and I'm skint (relatively).

Going to try and make a career change to technical writing/e-learning. Got accepted to a part time MA in UL, have yet to accept it but think I'm going to take the plunge.
Would you ever consider teaching abroad?

I've loved it in Hong Kong and can see myself out here long-term now. Been accepted into HKU's part-time PGDE for primary education to start in September as well.

JC!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:33 pm

we got a new boss in on an interim basis - motivation has just been gone the last few weeks. the morale of the whole team is in the toilet. can see people with irishjobs.ie open on their screens. not a great place to be working at the moment.

Rob

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Are you still with PWC or was that a long long time ago?

i_ate_cats

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:26 pm

dwayne wrote:
i_ate_cats wrote:I've been working in community education for over 7 years. I like the work but there's no security and the money sucks. I've had ongoing issues with contracts and I'm fed up of it. There's no pay scale and I'm skint (relatively).

Going to try and make a career change to technical writing/e-learning. Got accepted to a part time MA in UL, have yet to accept it but think I'm going to take the plunge.
Would you ever consider teaching abroad?

I've loved it in Hong Kong and can see myself out here long-term now. Been accepted into HKU's part-time PGDE for primary education to start in September as well.
I would consider it, for sure. Two things, a mortgage and my parents are in their 80s. The mortgage I could possibly get over by renting the place out. I wouldn't be able to cope if something happened the folks and I was half way around the world.

I have a TELF qualification though so I'm not ruling it out for the future.

JC!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Rob wrote:Are you still with PWC or was that a long long time ago?
left the big 4 just under a year ago. the job I signed up for, and what it's now become, are quite different. particularly in terms of travel. it's rare there's a week where I'm not travelling for a day or two. they're long bloody days, I've a taxi at 5.30am tomorrow, and i'll get back in the door at 11pm at the earliest.
I was told one trip a month on average for 2-3 days. hours on average though, even including the travel, are significantly less than the big 4. I've not worked a proper weekend yet.

Realistically, I'm probably looking at staying until bonuses are paid out early next year, and then look to move on to something new.

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 pm

JC! wrote:
left the big 4 just under a year ago. the job I signed up for, and what it's now become, are quite different. particularly in terms of travel. it's rare there's a week where I'm not travelling for a day or two. they're long bloody days, I've a taxi at 5.30am tomorrow, and i'll get back in the door at 11pm at the earliest.
I was told one trip a month on average for 2-3 days. hours on average though, even including the travel, are significantly less than the big 4. I've not worked a proper weekend yet.

Realistically, I'm probably looking at staying until bonuses are paid out early next year, and then look to move on to something new.
At that rate, would they not provide a company car?

Dick Jones

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 am

There's a woman in my office who does this thing where with anything remotely funny she makes like she's uncontrollably laughing and trying to talk through the laughter but it's just too funny and she can't help it.

Does that make sense. It's really annoying.

Zook

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

is it that people who work in offices are just mad annoying? or is it because you're around them all day every day

everything about a girl in my office annoys me but i know its not just me cos one of the other girls said "she was just annoying me sitting there with her skinny little face" :lol:

Dick Jones

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

She also has an uncanny ability to take any topic and turn it around to launch into a story about her kids fuckin ballet practice or something.

JC!

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
JC! wrote:

At that rate, would they not provide a company car?
it's foreign travel unfortunately. bumped into the ceo in the queue at security at 6am this morning, said he's been doing this weekly travel ever since he was about my age - you're talking 25 years of it.

I think if you want to progress in finance in any of the Irish HQ'd multinationals, travel, either high volumes of short trips, or long term secondments, is difficult to avoid. Kerry, Glanbia, CRH, Smurfit would all be the same.

JC!

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

and yes, I think offices amplify people's annoying habits hugely. but also, there are some amount of weirdos out there irl

Zook

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Dick Jones wrote:She also has an uncanny ability to take any topic and turn it around to launch into a story about her kids fuckin ballet practice or something.
OH MY GOD!!! we have one of those!! if someone mentions that they saw a film or something she'll go on about how her sons saw it and what they think of it. no one gives a fuck what her son thought of it. her whole life is totally consumed by her sons.. like i know all parents are like that but this is really extreme

Phierstarter

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Going to Palma on holidays for the weekend with work tomorrow, tomorrow being a 6am flight...

mooch

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 pm

if dick jones ever finds himself in a situation where he has children i hope he doesn't spend too much of that time worrying that he's talking about them too much to other people

Zook

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm

The way you phrased that is really weird.. I imagined him finding himself up to his bollox in nappies and crying babies everywhere like it's a bad dream he's having

mooch

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:42 am

well if he is up to his ears in babies & nappies, crying his eyes out, he better keep schtum about it in work
Last edited by mooch on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.