Do you like your job??

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
shivo wrote:Over the past few weeks I've put a lot of thought into my career and decided that I am going to apply to move to another department. I was too fed up with myself and one of the girls covering 90% of the work, while two others were taken from our team and replaced with 1 useless girl and a new guy who's very, very green.

I was about half way through writing a message to my boss to ask for a quick meeting to let him know I'm applying for a role in our Depository Bank department when I got a message from the other decent one on the team asking for a quick meeting to let me know she is applying for a role in our Depository Bank department.

This is gonna be very interesting.


Image
User avatar
Dick Jones
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Lumbo wrote:Advise her that it's a bad idea and then get your application in first :thumbs:


She's going for a lower level role than I am. So there's no conflict there.
I'd love if the two of us got the roles.

Had the chat with my boss, not long after she had.
I opened with "So I had a chat with X. I told you months ago this was going to happen but..."
Then he kinda cut me off and launched into this rant about how this was gonna leave us in a bad shape and it was unfair to me etc etc. Then finished up with "...I can understand her frustrations and I'm glad she came to me before she pulled the trigger. Will you promise me that you'll do the same if you're ever thinking about leaving?"

"About that....."
shivo
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:07 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Did you tell him or what
User avatar
maradara
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: where it's hot

Got an 8% pay rise. Sweet.
User avatar
enemies/friends
 
Posts: 3111
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm

i_ate_cats wrote:I've been working in community education for over 7 years. I like the work but there's no security and the money sucks. I've had ongoing issues with contracts and I'm fed up of it. There's no pay scale and I'm skint (relatively).

Going to try and make a career change to technical writing/e-learning. Got accepted to a part time MA in UL, have yet to accept it but think I'm going to take the plunge.

Would you ever consider teaching abroad?

I've loved it in Hong Kong and can see myself out here long-term now. Been accepted into HKU's part-time PGDE for primary education to start in September as well.
User avatar
dwayne
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm

we got a new boss in on an interim basis - motivation has just been gone the last few weeks. the morale of the whole team is in the toilet. can see people with irishjobs.ie open on their screens. not a great place to be working at the moment.
User avatar
JC!
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Are you still with PWC or was that a long long time ago?
Rob
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

dwayne wrote:
i_ate_cats wrote:I've been working in community education for over 7 years. I like the work but there's no security and the money sucks. I've had ongoing issues with contracts and I'm fed up of it. There's no pay scale and I'm skint (relatively).

Going to try and make a career change to technical writing/e-learning. Got accepted to a part time MA in UL, have yet to accept it but think I'm going to take the plunge.

Would you ever consider teaching abroad?

I've loved it in Hong Kong and can see myself out here long-term now. Been accepted into HKU's part-time PGDE for primary education to start in September as well.


I would consider it, for sure. Two things, a mortgage and my parents are in their 80s. The mortgage I could possibly get over by renting the place out. I wouldn't be able to cope if something happened the folks and I was half way around the world.

I have a TELF qualification though so I'm not ruling it out for the future.
User avatar
i_ate_cats
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Rob wrote:Are you still with PWC or was that a long long time ago?


left the big 4 just under a year ago. the job I signed up for, and what it's now become, are quite different. particularly in terms of travel. it's rare there's a week where I'm not travelling for a day or two. they're long bloody days, I've a taxi at 5.30am tomorrow, and i'll get back in the door at 11pm at the earliest.
I was told one trip a month on average for 2-3 days. hours on average though, even including the travel, are significantly less than the big 4. I've not worked a proper weekend yet.

Realistically, I'm probably looking at staying until bonuses are paid out early next year, and then look to move on to something new.
User avatar
JC!
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

JC! wrote:
Rob wrote:Are you still with PWC or was that a long long time ago?


left the big 4 just under a year ago. the job I signed up for, and what it's now become, are quite different. particularly in terms of travel. it's rare there's a week where I'm not travelling for a day or two. they're long bloody days, I've a taxi at 5.30am tomorrow, and i'll get back in the door at 11pm at the earliest.
I was told one trip a month on average for 2-3 days. hours on average though, even including the travel, are significantly less than the big 4. I've not worked a proper weekend yet.

Realistically, I'm probably looking at staying until bonuses are paid out early next year, and then look to move on to something new.


At that rate, would they not provide a company car?
Biggy Shackleton
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm

There's a woman in my office who does this thing where with anything remotely funny she makes like she's uncontrollably laughing and trying to talk through the laughter but it's just too funny and she can't help it.

Does that make sense. It's really annoying.
User avatar
Dick Jones
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

is it that people who work in offices are just mad annoying? or is it because you're around them all day every day

everything about a girl in my office annoys me but i know its not just me cos one of the other girls said "she was just annoying me sitting there with her skinny little face" :lol:
Image
User avatar
Zook
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:54 pm

She also has an uncanny ability to take any topic and turn it around to launch into a story about her kids fuckin ballet practice or something.
User avatar
Dick Jones
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Old Detroit

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
JC! wrote:
Rob wrote:Are you still with PWC or was that a long long time ago?


left the big 4 just under a year ago. the job I signed up for, and what it's now become, are quite different. particularly in terms of travel. it's rare there's a week where I'm not travelling for a day or two. they're long bloody days, I've a taxi at 5.30am tomorrow, and i'll get back in the door at 11pm at the earliest.
I was told one trip a month on average for 2-3 days. hours on average though, even including the travel, are significantly less than the big 4. I've not worked a proper weekend yet.

Realistically, I'm probably looking at staying until bonuses are paid out early next year, and then look to move on to something new.


At that rate, would they not provide a company car?


it's foreign travel unfortunately. bumped into the ceo in the queue at security at 6am this morning, said he's been doing this weekly travel ever since he was about my age - you're talking 25 years of it.

I think if you want to progress in finance in any of the Irish HQ'd multinationals, travel, either high volumes of short trips, or long term secondments, is difficult to avoid. Kerry, Glanbia, CRH, Smurfit would all be the same.
User avatar
JC!
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

and yes, I think offices amplify people's annoying habits hugely. but also, there are some amount of weirdos out there irl
User avatar
JC!
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Dick Jones wrote:She also has an uncanny ability to take any topic and turn it around to launch into a story about her kids fuckin ballet practice or something.


OH MY GOD!!! we have one of those!! if someone mentions that they saw a film or something she'll go on about how her sons saw it and what they think of it. no one gives a fuck what her son thought of it. her whole life is totally consumed by her sons.. like i know all parents are like that but this is really extreme
Image
User avatar
Zook
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:54 pm

Going to Palma on holidays for the weekend with work tomorrow, tomorrow being a 6am flight...
Image
User avatar
Phierstarter
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Don't ****** the internet!

if dick jones ever finds himself in a situation where he has children i hope he doesn't spend too much of that time worrying that he's talking about them too much to other people
User avatar
mooch
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

The way you phrased that is really weird.. I imagined him finding himself up to his bollox in nappies and crying babies everywhere like it's a bad dream he's having
Image
User avatar
Zook
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:54 pm

well if he is up to his ears in babies & nappies, crying his eyes out, he better keep schtum about it in work
Last edited by mooch on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mooch
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

PreviousNext

Return to The Electric Picnic

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests