Rugby Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Was there no rugby thread yet?

George Hook, ya prick....great match!
dwayne

This is some fucking match so far...

Imagine we won the World Cup
dwayne

Great game. Very happy to see us tighten things up in the second half and not get caught up in the madness.

That's a monumental run of games.
never_green

brilliant performance. very tense at the end
2015 is our year
maradara

So we're definitely 3rd in the world now is it?
dwayne

yep, about 5 points behind South Africa
2 points, 8 games, 1 hero.

The team for ENIC's first game at the helm, a defeat at Derby:
N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand
Mexicola

Bump

On my way to a ghastly place. Nearest place I can watch it.
Meeting a faux Italian yank later, but probably too late for the game
Phierstarter

dirt match
maradara

This it's not like me, but "fuckin nordies" comes to mind right here
Phierstarter

g'wan the scots
maradara

Bit nervy at the end there, but nice win.

Like O'Gara's balance to Hook in the studio, doesn't seem inclined to put up with his shite.
dwayne

tense as ever
ended up; with the crappiest of streams. it doesn't do much for nerves when all you see are frozen screens for half the match
maradara

Good win. Always looked in control, even at the end when France had all the pressure they never got closer than about 35m out. Things will need to improve for England though they're very confident at the moment. I fear what they'll do to our scrum and they have a back line that's looking good. Having said that, there's a lack of experience in that backline and i can see Schmidt identifying a few weakness there.
Rev

Rev wrote:Good win. Always looked in control, even at the end when France had all the pressure they never got closer than about 35m out. Things will need to improve for England though they're very confident at the moment. I fear what they'll do to our scrum and they have a back line that's looking good. Having said that, there's a lack of experience in that backline and i can see Schmidt identifying a few weakness there.

jaysus, i didn't think we were in control at all and instead thought we were hanging in at the end, just like 12 months ago

had frances conversion rate been as good as ours they would have been nicely positioned for a free kick to win the game

i'm probably a little less confident about the game in october which is the one we really want to win too
never_green

Ah it wasn't really like last year. Last year there was huge pressure inside the 22 for the last 10minutes and a penalty/drop goal was enough for France to win. We were poxed not to give away a penalty in the last scrum in Paris. This year, while it was a big defensive effort France never looked like getting the try they needed. They went across the field a lot but never went forward too much.
When I say Ireland were in control I mean they were handling the French attacks handily enough. There was never a case where it was last ditch on the line heroic stuff. Yeah it was a bit nerve wracking from a spectators point of view but Ireland were just doing the basics of holding the line hitting their man and not giving the French a sniff. I can't think of a single time that the Irish try line was in serious danger in that last 10 minutes.
Rev

there wasn't serious pressure on our line but there hadn't been all game, all it would take is debaty or bastareaud to occupy a few players and france could have the numbers out wide again

and as i said before, i think we were lucky enough to be in a position where a drop goal wouldn't have won in for france

not to take anything away from irelands defence in the last 10 minutes, it was quality stuff. i just wouldn't have liked to see us face another 5/10 minutes more of it
never_green

You can say we were lucky France didn't take their scores but then Ireland ballsed up a try as well so that's a 6 of one argument really. These things happen in games. If Ireland had scored that try then it was game over, never mind the fact France should have been down to 14 for the rest of the game when Papé was binned.
I wouldn't have liked to see another 10 minutes of it either but I don't think Ireland were hanging on at the end really. I think if anything they were unlucky not to get a few turnover decisions which would have killed the game sooner.
Rev

Saw quite a few people blaming Payne for the missed try opportunity, saying he should have hauled Sexton's pass in. It was absolutely pinged at his face, not a chance he could bring it in. That one was on Sexton.
dwayne

Yep, looked like Payne was running a dummy line for Kearney and Zebo and Sexton just made shit of the move
2 points, 8 games, 1 hero.

The team for ENIC's first game at the helm, a defeat at Derby:
N. Sullivan, S. Clemence, G. Doherty, S. Campbell, L.Young, A. Thelwell, S. Freund , T. Sherwood, L. King, A. Booth, L. Ferdinand
Mexicola

Rev wrote:You can say we were lucky France didn't take their scores but then Ireland ballsed up a try as well so that's a 6 of one argument really. These things happen in games. If Ireland had scored that try then it was game over, never mind the fact France should have been down to 14 for the rest of the game when Papé was binned.
I wouldn't have liked to see another 10 minutes of it either but I don't think Ireland were hanging on at the end really. I think if anything they were unlucky not to get a few turnover decisions which would have killed the game sooner.

Can't argue with most of that. Think I'm just lowering my expectations for the world cup game a little. The game was always going to be tight so a seven point win over a team we've never beaten at the aviva is not to be sniffed at, even if we were under a fair bit of pressure towards the end of the game.
never_green

Next

Return to The Electric Picnic