Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
fatguy2k1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:49 pm

BadTurtle wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 am
Dunkirk is getting shafted so far, I've only seen Get Out, Darkest Hour, 3 billboards and Lady Bird but I'm still surprised that's not figured more strongly in any awards, thought it was brilliant. Get Out is great too, and despite being the least Oscar type film, probably has the most important message. Would love to see the Big Sick get some love too, best comedy I've seen in ages. Nanjiani is brilliant in general.
Get Out is very non-oscar. but here, what was the important message in it?
the movie does't give any answer as to why only using black people. Didn't the blind art dealer guy just say "meah" to why they use black people. no answer, so i took from it that they could use anyone but chose blacks as they were a bunch of racist old white people. not an amazing message to me. unless you took something different from it?

Lola

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 am

Get Out was grand like but some of the messages and meanings were a bit like "HEY. DID YOU GET THAT? DO YOU SEE WHAT WE'RE DOING? THAT THING SYMBOLISES THIS"

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Watch 'I, Tonya' over the weekend.

Instant classic.

Loved the combination 4th Wall + Rashamon Effect. Fucking great way to deliver comedy, yet still feel like a Scorcese film.

Rob

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Washed it on Sunday too. Enjoyed it. Was kinda sparked to watch it by coming across Sufjan Stevens song on Tonya. Gonna watch the 30 for 30 later this week

Dick Jones

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Annihilation on Netflix is excellent. Arrival meets Predator meets Under the Skin.

I know Mute got a bit of a kicking, but it's great to see Netflix put money behind intelligent and ambitious sci-fi movies like the two of those, and let the audience decide. I didn't like Mute that much but there's something culty about it. I think it will grow in people's estimations over time.

But Annihilation is just straight-up great. Instant classic.

LordPercy

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Was an article in the guardian about annihilation last week talking about exactly what you mention that Netflix are willing to put money into the films.

Have it on my list to watch

Edit. Here's that article
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... ex-machina

bartleby

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Weirdly Ready Player One is getting some pretty good reviews. The book was a simple read full of nostalgia, which was what I enjoyed more than the writing or anything. The trailers have looked utter crap, but i might go see it if it gets a few more decent ones

Biggy Shackleton

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 am

bartleby wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm
Weirdly Ready Player One is getting some pretty good reviews. The book was a simple read full of nostalgia, which was what I enjoyed more than the writing or anything. The trailers have looked utter crap, but i might go see it if it gets a few more decent ones
Read about 20 pages of that book, and had to put it down. It's the worst writing i've ever read in my life.
And cramming every single 80's reference you can think of, into it, doesn't save it.

Dick Jones

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Any excerpt I've ready from Ready Player One reads like the music chapters from American Psycho.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 pm

You're being very unfair to Bret Easton Ellis there.

Dick Jones

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 am

Oh no, you misunderstand. I mean Ready Player One reads like the obsessive ramblings of an unhinged serial killer.

Dick Jones

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 am

Wanted to watch Civil War on Friday there so signed up to NowTV.

You get two weeks' free trial and between us we have four bank cards so gonna game it for a couple of months then decide whether to keep it.

It's pretty great. Since it's basically Sky Movies, the film choice is vastly superior to Netflix. On the other hand, except for Sky having the exclusive on HBO stuff, the TV library on netflix is certainly better. You can go with movies and/or TV independently of each other, so there's that.

Highly recommend the trial though anyway.

Dick Jones

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 am

Ready Player One is absolutely fucking shiiiiiiite. I don't usually have such a vitriolic reaction to a film but I'd say it's possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

2 1/2 hours of "jemember this? jemember that! Oooooh I 'member", combined with the most obscenely over the top CGI you've ever seen. Nothing against cutting edge CGI in movies, I'm pumped about Infinity War for example, but this is just throwing the kitchen sink at it, along with the cat and the dog, all the plates and cups, the hoover and the fucking Volvo at it, just because they can.

This film proves that we've reached a point where there is nothing that can't be depicted on screen. And suddenly it feels like what's the point in depicting anything. If less is more, this film makes "everything" feel like nothing.

FWIW, I read a book synopsis and it's VERY different.
There's an extended sequence in the middle where they visit the Overlook Hotel from The Shining and recreate various scenes from the film, except like a children's film Universal Studios ride remix. It's a fucking cinematic war crime. I'm amazed that Spielberg would be so contemptuous to another filmmaker, especially someone as revered as Kubrick.
[/rant]

BadTurtle

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:19 am

Saw on Twitter one of these bracket things where people come up with 32 films and play them off against each other til there's a winner. Which is a load of rubbish but it did put me onto how A24, an indie film distributor, has been nailing it for about 5 years now, releasing some of the best and most unique films I've watched recently.
Ex Machina
Under the Skin
Locke
Moonlight
The Lobster
The VVItch
Green Room
The Florida Project
The Disaster Artist
Room
The Rover

Also a few I intend to watch like Lady Bird, A Ghost Story, Hereditary, The Monster and Killing of A Sacred Deer.

Got A Ghost Story yesterday. Very powerful film, really moving but not one to watch if you're in any way prone to sleep during long static shots or sections of contemplative silence as its absolutely crammed with them.

i_ate_cats

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:15 pm

I was unsure about A Ghost Story for the first half of the film, as soon as I got comfortable with the pace I ended up loving it.

BadTurtle

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:48 pm

There's one particular scene with Rooney Mara that does test patience initially but it works in the context of the film.

billysexcrime

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:58 pm

A Quiet Place is fantastic. Unreal tension from beginning to end.

i_ate_cats

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Isle of Dogs is fantastic, so many lovely details. It's a great piece of work.

I tried to watch the new Pacific Rim, I walked out of the cinema within half an hour, the dialogue was killing me and the cinema was full of little brats on midterm, it was too stressful .. I had to leave.