Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Was the first one actually good? I can't remember it but I assume I didn't like it if the only thing I took away from it was liking that Linkin Park song (they're a guilty pleasure of mine)

never_green

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:41 pm

the first one is a very enjoyable if somewhat flawed summer blockbuster

BadTurtle

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Was the dad in a lot of it? And John turturro? Cos if that's the one I'm thinking of I didn't like it.

blitzen

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 pm

phpBB [video]

Hmmmmmm, looks a bit shit.

In other Michael Bluth related news - watched the 1st half of Bad Words last night (had to get up early for work) so far, so very good. Will report back when I've watched the 2nd half.

mojo

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:06 am

mooch wrote:I think it's a legit meltdown
he's not right in the head anyway
i just don't know

like i mean the stories of him getting arrested for trying to fight a bum and interupting a perfomance of cabaret seem a little wacko

but the photos coming out of him carrying an alcoholics anonymous book (come on) and his body looks remarkably in shape and gym honed for someone who is gone off the rails. I'm not buying it. I think its a reinvention. Can see him choosing completely different roles when he comes out of 'rehab'

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:05 pm

watched locke the other day

its terrific, better than I expected and I was expecting something pretty good

Gatsby

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Watched Calvary last night. What a load of shite. I'd love to ask Aidan Gillen whats the craic with his accents, it's like he is purposely doing them so shit that people will notice it. Was he told to talk like a pirate in the film, i didn't understand the relevance or what the fuck he was saying half the time.
Brendan Glesson almost redeems the film, but it's so far gone even he can't even rescue it from being the shitheap it is.
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

blitzen

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:13 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again - yer man is just riding the coattails of his brother imo.

bartleby

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 am

Transcendence is some load of shite anyway

mojo

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:40 am

Watched True Grit (2010) the other night. No idea why i hadn't seen it before

what a fantastic film. I love a bit of western vengenanc. Incredible cinematography too

mattie ross is my new role model

maradara

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:12 am

watching this again

i fucking love this character

Biggy Shackleton

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:23 am

Watched Locke this evening.

Fantastic. Absolutely love it.

maradara

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 am

the trailer doesn't give much away. is it just him in a car?
downloading it

Eucrid

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 pm

blitzen wrote: In other Michael Bluth related news - watched the 1st half of Bad Words last night (had to get up early for work) so far, so very good. Will report back when I've watched the 2nd half.
Yeah I kinda liked that film.

maradara

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:Watched Locke this evening.

Fantastic. Absolutely love it.
what the fucking fuck

eventSecurity

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Eucrid wrote:
blitzen wrote: In other Michael Bluth related news - watched the 1st half of Bad Words last night (had to get up early for work) so far, so very good. Will report back when I've watched the 2nd half.
Was very funny, really liked it

blitzen

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:41 pm

eventSecurity wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
Was very funny, really liked it

Finally seen the rest of it.

Most films have a cracking first half then fade away, cos I watched this staggered over a period of 4 days I was convinced Bad Words would do the same. To my pleasant surprise it didn't. The 2nd half was probably better than the first half. It threw up a good few swerves and I was delighted to find a film that doesn't let you down but remains consistently excellent throughout.

Jason Bateman shows here that he's not only a capable director - but also he can play the anti-hero excellently. No boring straight guy role like he has in AD, Identity Thief, Horrible Bosses - instead he is a filthy mouthed, scourge on society, unscrupulous asshole - and he rocks at it. Guy Trilby has no problem comparing a woman's vagina to an elephant trunk or mindfucking minors to the point you wonder "is he actually allowed to even say that to a kid?". It's jaw-droppingly shocking at times but it never lets you forget that it is a film with much heart. This is probably the best character Bateman has played in quite a while and some of the stuff he gets up to (especially against his fellow competitors) never leaves you rooting against him - we are firmly on his side, even though he is a fucking dickhead. Bateman needs to play more anti-heroes cos he knocks it out of the park.

To call Bad Words a black comedy would be a disservice - it has the gross out humour you'd expect to see in a Apatow / Rogen film but it also has the emotional range you'd expect from a PTA film (the presence of Philip Baker Hall adds gravitas to that). It never lets up too - just when we get an real scene of some depth or feel like we're making a breakthrough the very next scene will involve an 11 year old Indian boy in a dark alley checking out a hooker's titties!

Overall it's just a really really funny and well made little gem of a film and it would be a disservice not to mention the kid - who is absolutely fucking class the whole way through!!! Bad Words is a surprisingly good watch, with a great cast and and at an hour and a half in length it flies through. Highly recommended. :star: :star: :star: :star: / 5

BadTurtle

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Think I preferred event sec's review tbh.

bartleby

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:46 pm

My third attempt at watching Ink. Its so fucking weird

Rusty Shackleford

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Wolf of Wall Street

Brilliant