Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Eucrid wrote:
BadTurtle wrote:Captain America 2
Started well with ambiguity about SHIELD then copped out and just said "fuck it, Nazis." Still a long way from Iron Man quality.
Chris Evans remains the worst choice of hero since Ben Affleck first time round, zero charisma.
How did they "cop out", sure the reveal was that SHIELD was run by HYDRA, they've always been Nazis.
Anyway for me CA2 is the best of the Marvel bunch. I was never that pushed on Iron Man, I don't think Chris Evans is bad at all either. He's doing quite well with a fairly boring character.
When it seemed like SHIELD were organising pre-emptive strikes it could be considered relevant to real life US policy and there was an ambiguity about their motives, but they backed away from that and made it black and white good and evil as usual, no middle ground.

bartleby

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:25 am

BadTurtle wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
Started well with ambiguity about SHIELD then copped out and just said "fuck it, Nazis." Still a long way from Iron Man quality.
Chris Evans remains the worst choice of hero since Ben Affleck first time round, zero charisma.
How did they "cop out", sure the reveal was that SHIELD was run by HYDRA, they've always been Nazis.
Anyway for me CA2 is the best of the Marvel bunch. I was never that pushed on Iron Man, I don't think Chris Evans is bad at all either. He's doing quite well with a fairly boring character.
When it seemed like SHIELD were organising pre-emptive strikes it could be considered relevant to real life US policy and there was an ambiguity about their motives, but they backed away from that and made it black and white good and evil as usual, no middle ground.
At no point were SHIELD considering pre-emptive strikes. They were just expanding their arsenal in case of another invasion

Eucrid

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:46 am

BadTurtle wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
You get that analogy pretty bluntly in Age of Ultron if thats what you're looking for.

BadTurtle

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 am

bartleby wrote:
BadTurtle wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
At no point were SHIELD considering pre-emptive strikes. They were just expanding their arsenal in case of another invasion
Except that Sam Jackson says "We're going to neutralise threats before they happen." So they're specifically talking about preemptive attacks.

BadTurtle

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:55 am

Eucrid wrote:
You get that analogy pretty bluntly in Age of Ultron if thats what you're looking for.
Age of Ultron is pure farce - a robot singing Pinocchio - to the extent that there's really nothing worth juxtaposing to modern day america. Winter Soldier was a lot more measured and realistic, giving it a genuine opportunity to critique US policy and the CIA,FBI etc. but it decided to make it about another big bad instead.

Dick Jones

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 am

More big Star Wars PR to come out of Comic Con apparently, presumably climaxing with another new trailer.

Would love to not watch it. Wonder if I'll manage.

I don't mean this in the sense that it would disappoint, but it couldn't possibly have the same sort of fist-pumping, childhood-evoking, repeat-watching effect that the last one did.

Fred__Elliott

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Christopher Lee is dead

Eucrid

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:10 pm

He'd a good innings in fairness.

BadTurtle

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Ah fuck. :( legend.

eventSecurity

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 pm

BadTurtle wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
Age of Ultron is pure farce - a robot singing Pinocchio - to the extent that there's really nothing worth juxtaposing to modern day america. Winter Soldier was a lot more measured and realistic, giving it a genuine opportunity to critique US policy and the CIA,FBI etc. but it decided to make it about another big bad instead.
It's a marvel superhero film, what were you expecting?

BadTurtle

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:37 pm

eventSecurity wrote:
BadTurtle wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
It's a marvel superhero film, what were you expecting?
From all the hype about how it subverted superhero conventions, I was expecting it to attempt to subvert some superhero conventions. Silly me.

eventSecurity

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Really? I saw none of that hype, but then rarely pay attention to it.
Regardless or what they claim in the run up to releases, I dont think marvel films will be that deep

Eucrid

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:07 pm

I didn't see any of that hype either and I would read plenty of reviews, etc

thedark
Location: Carol Anne - listen to me. Do NOT go into the light.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:Christopher Lee is dead
What a legend, generations of movie goers will miss him. He was also married for 53 years. When asked for the secret of a long-lived marriage, he replied: “Marry someone wonderful.” Which is nice and all but his bride was a Danish model after all. RIP Scaramanga.

Lola

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:18 am

Jurassic World
Really enjoyable and very good fun but the CGI is quite distracting (it's far less distracting when animatronics are used) and it's a little bit sexist. It's basically an audition for Chris Pratt to be Indiana Jones - which is fine by me because he's a badass in this.

I wanted way more T-Rex.

BadTurtle

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Watched the Wolverine (2013).
Am I correct in thinking
Days of Future Past cancelled out that entire film less than a year later?

eventSecurity

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Probably, cant remember it too much. Days of future past and the next sequence of xmen really fucked up the timeline altogether.

LordPercy

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 am

Watched Montage of Heck yesterday. It's very well done especially the use of animation for the sound collages and the journals and the home videos are intersting but Cobains been so well covered at this stage that there was nothing new in it really. Still a good watch though.

mooch

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:01 am

exactly and it is a good watch if not a bit too long & actually the videos of him & frances bean are very sad to watch.......they also glossed over his death a bit.

there's another cobain film coming out this year but it's by the detective who is trying to prove he was killed by Love
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3253624/?mode=desktop

Eucrid

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:08 am

Just seen that available to download this morning.