Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
bartleby

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Cant wait. Been hearing nothing but good things. Heard an interview with James Mangold last night saying that now that they arent having to deal with kids it unshackles a lot of the restrictions they had.

Saw John Wick 2 last night. More of the same with some more of the assassin mythos dealt with. If you liked the first you will like this one

Eucrid

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:54 pm

I really don't like the sound of that Wolverine film but I'll give it a go.

stateofyouboy

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:43 pm

bartleby wrote:Cant wait. Been hearing nothing but good things. Heard an interview with James Mangold last night saying that now that they arent having to deal with kids it unshackles a lot of the restrictions they had.
why arent they having to deal with kids?

deffo going to see this, so sick of marvel movies this could actually be a bit different

bartleby

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Cos its R rated.

Dick Jones

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 am

Was thinking something last night. You know how the last couple of years Oscar season was marred with the "Oscars so white" controversy.

That's obviously been done away with, and films like Hidden Figures, Moonlight and Fences have gotten a big push, heaps of praise and nominations. That's a good thing, and proper order.

But is it odd that there are no articles talking about the new way? Like no follow up "think pieces" exploring the new nominations process or the fact that the Academy took steps to make sure Oscars weren't so white anymore? Not that I've seen anyway.

Eucrid

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:31 am

Do you think theres a sense of backlash and tokenism about it? And I mean from the studios as well as the voters. Did they make more black films because of the out cry and in turn are people voting for them because they feature black stories? When you look at films like Selma and Hidden Figures is there really a big quality divide? I wonder would Creed have gotten a nomination this year and if MBJ would have been nominated, both really should have been.

Dick Jones

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:25 pm

That crossed my mind. Especially with Hidden Figures. Haven't seen it, but a film about NASA and civil rights just screams focus groups and demographics research.

fatguy2k1

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Dick Jones wrote:That crossed my mind. Especially with Hidden Figures. Haven't seen it, but a film about NASA and civil rights just screams focus groups and demographics research.
i watched it - it's a perfectly good movie for 3pm on a Sunday on ITV in November but shouldn't be within a million miles of the Oscars.

with the "Oscars so white" controversy my stance is the same as it was then - get black guys to make better movies and they will be nominated. as it is, they really seam like token nominations.

Eucrid

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:34 pm

fatguy2k1 wrote:with the "Oscars so white" controversy my stance is the same as it was then - LET black guys make MORE movies and they will be nominated.
Fixed that for you.

mooch

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:58 pm

whatever about it, whether it's a result of oscarssowhite or not, viola davis deserves all the oscars anyway

Dick Jones

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

I really like Naomie Harris too, she's come a long way since hacking that lad to death in 28 Days Later.

Fred__Elliott

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

fatguy2k1 wrote:
Dick Jones wrote:That crossed my mind. Especially with Hidden Figures. Haven't seen it, but a film about NASA and civil rights just screams focus groups and demographics research.
i watched it - it's a perfectly good movie for 3pm on a Sunday on ITV in November but shouldn't be within a million miles of the Oscars.

with the "Oscars so white" controversy my stance is the same as it was then - get black guys to make better movies and they will be nominated. as it is, they really seam like token nominations.
wow

Dick Jones

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm

fatguy2k1 wrote:

Shouldn't that be the other way round. How many staggeringly good dramas have come and gone with minimal notice outide their own circles because they were made by or starred black people.

Has a black writer never written a better screenplay than that piece of shit Juno, for example. Or Good Will Hunting, or Shakespeare in Love?

(Which was on TV over christmas, and I found to be unfuckingwatchable)

mooch

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 pm

ah that would be palthrow

Eucrid

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:12 pm

She's nominated for Best Magic Rock in a Vagina this year.

Eucrid

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Decided to watch Lala Land before it wins all the Oscars. It's kind of mediocre, Emma Stone is whatever the opposite of charismatic is. Whole thing felt slapped together. First hour is all song and dance with no story, second half is a very conventional story with no song and dance. Meh.

enemies/friends

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:08 am

Always said the academy was racist

Rob

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:31 am

Was the mix up as bad as Steve Harvey?

dwayne

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

Worse

But not Beatty's fault. PWC fucked up the envelopes, and Faye Dunaway had no patience

mooch

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 am

you could tell Beatty knew there was a cock-up when he looked at the envelope. Dunaway thought he was messing. such a mess. yer man from LaLa Land was a bit of a dick i thought - but sure he thought he won best picture i suppose

hate that people are just saying "doddery old people's mistake"