Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
The Lego Movie

Visually one of the best animated films, thats up there with Toy Story. I regret not seeing it in 3d as the level of the detail is so impressive i'd imagine it works very well. Plenty of funnys and it saved a few punches to not be too obvious.
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
Gatsby

Still havent seen it. Is it out on disc yet?
Tony Mokbel

Nah it was a screenrip i saw, which kinda muted the effects a bit and made it slightly more annoying to watch.

Still a great film, but i'd wait for the proper dvd/blueray
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
Gatsby

Les Tontons Flinguers - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057591/

Watched this last night. From 1963, it's a French comedy about a retired gangster who is asked to look after the gang and the daughter of his old friend when he dies. It's about the fallout from within the gang and also the daughter who is unruly and has been kicked out of school a lot. The humour is a bit slapstick at times but I found it funny anyway.
Fred__Elliott

Lego Movie was one of the best movies I've seen in years, 3D or not

Went to see Calvary last night, was really good although a lot darker than I was expecting it. Agree with the person who put up that Aidan Gillen's accent was shit, sounded so forced
tickleelmo

Gatsby wrote:The Lego Movie

Visually one of the best animated films, thats up there with Toy Story. I regret not seeing it in 3d as the level of the detail is so impressive i'd imagine it works very well. Plenty of funnys and it saved a few punches to not be too obvious.

I saw Lego Movie twice in the cinema. It was just that good (not to mention it's same guys who did Cloudy WACOM and 21 Jump Street, and I fucking love Cloudy)

I checked the screenrip. It's watchable no doubt but it's pretty poor when quality can be very important for animation
Rob

Calvary

Is that kid related to McDonagh or what? He's a woeful little actor. I used to be able to ignore Aidan Gillen but he's just going mad with accents in everything these days.

While it held my attention I wasn't at any stage blown away by the film. It think it's a bit smarter than it is, the dialogue is snappy and some of the scenes would work as well on stage as film, usual McDonagh stuff. It's entertaining but his shtick is wearing a bit thin for me.

There is an improvement on production values, some nice sweep bord failte shots of surfers.
i_ate_cats

i_ate_cats wrote:Calvary
It think it's a bit smarter than it is

Spot on. Pretty much applies to all films by both the McDonaghs too.
There's a smugness to them.
Biggy Shackleton

i think robs av is too big
Zook

(bad) neighbours

not as funny as i was expecting but it ticked a lot of the boxes i look for in a comedy

with a few more interesting choices it could have been something quite special

rose byrne is pretty meh though
never_green

watched 'birth' as it was the one glazer film I hadn't seen

really liked it but I can understand how it got mixed reviews

cant wait for his next project (hopefully he doesn't take another 10 year break)
eric

never_green wrote:(bad) neighbours

not as funny as i was expecting but it ticked a lot of the boxes i look for in a comedy

That's probably why she does horror films. Just need a reaction face.
BadTurtle

Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

she was good at playing the bitch in bridesmaids I thought
eric

Zook wrote:i think robs av is too big

I've Avs off but deleted it nonetheless
Rob

I liked Rose Byrne but that aside agree wholeheartedly with above points. Took a good while to get going I thought, loads of very funny moments but didn't really gel into a very funny film.
Joycer

I liked her character too. Just felt that she was the weakpoint among a strong comedic cast.
never_green

Yeah there were some great moments

the airbags, I hadn't seen the trailer they were apparently in so it was a complete surprise

but it wasn't a classic over all
enemies/friends

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Starts off very very good, but descends into run of the mill. Looks amazing and has a lovely soundtrack. Nice feelgood movie. Well worth a watch.

On a separate note, I don't think I could pay into a movie with that freakazoid Zac Efron in it. He was on Graham Norton recently and all I could think of was Ken in Toy Story 3.....he's tragic.
ishouldcoco

He has no personality whatsoever. Him and Matt LeBlanc on The Graham Norton Show was a car crash, LeBlanc has the slowest reactions, he's like a 90 year old.
BadTurtle

Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

When he tried to take a moment to declare how special Seth Rogen was to him.........I died a little.......he's a giant cringe. He doesn't seem to get social interaction.
ishouldcoco

Next

Return to The Electric Picnic