Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
billysexcrime

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 pm

bartleby wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:49 pm
Dick Jones wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:59 am
very by the numbers, but sure that's the source material isn't it.
The book is phenomonal. One of the best Ive ever read
This new Pennywise is meant to be much clsoer to the book version of it as well. Amazing book, one of my all time favourites!

Hope they've finally done justice to it as the 90's version was cat.

mooch

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm
I absolutely love The Stand. I know I've shite'ed on here about it loads before, but fucking Ben Affleck.

He was moving in a solid direction with a 3-part adaptation before he made the worst decision of a career already littered with bad decisions and took the Batman gig.

I feel like waiting for this movie is turning into my life's work. But I guess with the absolute plane crash that was The Dark Tower, maybe I should be careful what I wish for.
hey! is gary sinise not good enough for ye!?

billysexcrime

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:53 pm

mooch wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm
Dick Jones wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm
I absolutely love The Stand. I know I've shite'ed on here about it loads before, but fucking Ben Affleck.

He was moving in a solid direction with a 3-part adaptation before he made the worst decision of a career already littered with bad decisions and took the Batman gig.

I feel like waiting for this movie is turning into my life's work. But I guess with the absolute plane crash that was The Dark Tower, maybe I should be careful what I wish for.
hey! is gary sinise not good enough for ye!?
They nailed this character in the tv\movie version of the stand to be fair.

:lol: :lol:

i_ate_cats

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Just went to see Terminator 2 in 3D.

I had sworn off of 3D films but T2 on the big screen was tempting. Thankfully the 3D didn't detract from the film, the only point where it really added something impressive was the apocalypse scene. Bits of calcified humans scattered around the screen quite prettily.

I can remember being blown away by the liquid metal morphing effects. It was a massive leap at the time. They look of their time now but that's ok, there's a kind of charm to them.

Otherwise, it's Terminator 2, it's great.

Dick Jones

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:50 am

Haha fuckin Flagg in The Stand was so lame. Macho Man Randy Flagg someone said here before.

According to IMDB, Miguel Ferrer was originally up for the role, which would have been great. Bizarrely they replaced him with that Jamie Sheridan guy and Ferrer played Lloyd Henreid instead.

Might give it a watch soon. Saturday morning stuff.

Ferrer one of my favourite actors; such a shame he's not with us anymore.

mooch

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 pm

yeh miguel ferrer was brilliant

billysexcrime

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:27 pm

IT was everything I hoped for. Absolutely loved it. The only character that was slightly off was Henry Bowers I thought. Everything else they nailed.

Dick Jones

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 am

LADS did anyone else spot the Maximum Overdrive reference in IT.

One of the kids has a t-shirt on at one point which is a green car with eyes and a face, not unlike the evil goblin truck from that movie.

Coincidence?

LordPercy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 am

Never even heard of maximum overdrive

Dick Jones

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:55 am

Oh man really. It's fucking gold. So bad it's good territory.

Stephen King's one and only directorial effort. He confesses himself he was coked out of his mind and had no idea what he was doing.

LordPercy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 am

Yeah just googled it. Will have to check it out at some stage

Zook

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Fairly certain i was close to gicking myself at IT there

Very very good. The kids are all great actors

bartleby

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Abrams back to direct and write Episode IX

i_ate_cats

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Mother!
Was willing enough to go along with it for the first hour. Then I stopped caring pretty quickly. It's very pretentious.
I started to worry about this film when I saw a trailer for it before IT last week, the trailer promised to disturb audiences and fuck them up more than any film ever!!!!. If only.

IT
I picked the worst night of year to go to the cinema last week, Junior Cert results night. Suffice to say the crowd was scarier than the film. The film feels like Stand By Me with clown horror. Didn't like any of the kid actors.

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:01 am

Watched Mother! At the weekend too.

Thought it was fucking muck. It looks great and Lawerence is great in it, and same as yourself I was happy to stay with it up to a point, but....
when you realise that the film is not about Jennifer Lawrence's character as much ch as it lets on, but is actually about Bardems character and his obsession with fame/himself, the film loses its high concept feel and ends up being about something very small and insignificant altogether. And hard not to think it's in some way meant to be an autobiographical apology of some sort, which then just reeks of ego.

Dick Jones

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am

The Farthest is brilliant, everyone get on it.

Eucrid

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 am

I watched Baby Driver over the weekend, I thought it was great.

LordPercy

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:20 am

Dick Jones wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am
The Farthest is brilliant, everyone get on it.
Isn't it, was only reading up on it aferwards, hadn't realised it had gotten a limited cinematic run would have loved to see it there.
Does a really good job of mixing the science side of the mission with the thoughts behind the golden record.

I'll admit when it started and I saw the bord scannan logo I didn't think it was going to turn out like it did, thought it was going to be a bland enough run through the history of the mission couldn't have been more wrong.

Dick Jones

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 am

Watched Straight Outta Compton too, really enjoyed it. Great performances out of Ice Cube and Eazy E actors. Needed more scenes with Tupac tho :lol: Would have loved to watch it in the cinema, turn it up lads.

Didn't love the big Dr Dre and Cube jerkoff epilogue though. Look isn't it great how we're not dead like Eazy :|

Felt so old watching it. Like...I was thinking about What's Love Got to Do with it, the Tina Turner movie in like 1995 or whenever that was made. And that was set in the 60s and you're like...woah the 60s was so long ago.

Now there's adults watching a movie about fucking NWA in the late 80s and it's all stuff that happened before they were born. It's a musical history lesson from the mists of time and it's about fuckin gangsta rap. Weird.

Fred__Elliott

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:33 am

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 over the weekend. Enjoyed it a lot more than the first one, which I thought was fairly shite and put me off watching the second. Didnt actually remember most of the first