Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
enemies/friends

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:15 pm

He was, and it seems our very own Lola met him too!

Lola

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:17 pm

I did. He was an incredibly pleasant and lovely human. If he had been anything else, I would have been crushed. I made him laugh too so that's my entire life made.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 pm

haha i had a sneaky feeling you might have met him lola.

I'm a big fan, going back lots of years. not quite sure how i would react if I met him, to be honest with you. would probably freak the fuck out a bit.

Lola

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 am

Because I'm a stalker? That's a fair assumption

I screamed internally a lot. I was a wee bit overwhelmed to meet him because he's my favourite actor but luckily he was nice and I didn't embarrass myself

Not like when I met Michael Palin at a book signing

I made a noise like Mrs Doyle and he only said 'Hello' :roll:

i_ate_cats

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 am

Ghost in the Shell
Had low expectations and it's really not that bad. If you're inclined to be incensed by whitewashing or if you really loved the original anime then you might not enjoy this much. It's quite lovely to look at, the cityscapes are quite impressive, all the future tech is neat, though nothing particularly inventive. Scarlett Johansson is kinda blank in this and that's fine, she's a robot. Her voice in Her had way more character.

Eucrid

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 pm

All the talk of white washing around GITS is really annoying. I'm as much of a snowflake PC type as anyone but that is not a racial character. And the mange version looks like ScarJo.

Dick Jones

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 pm

It is though. I read - on the back of this, as well as before - that the theme of stories like Akira and Ghost in the Shell (like a lot of Japanese cinema tbf) is heavily related to the country's national psyche after having been nuked at the end of WW2.

Separate to that, the fashion in which it became a global leader in technology in the same era, can also be contextualised with its surrender to USA in the 40s.

So - although I'm not an expert in manga - it's wrong to say what's the difference whether the lead character in GITS is asian or not. To Japanese people it makes a big difference. It means a lot more to them than just a sexy robo-girl blowing shit up.

LordPercy

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:49 pm

I don't know anything about the film or various source materials but i did hear it mentioned by mark Kermode that it doesn't seem to be causing much of a controversy in Japan.

This article seems to corroborate this.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independe ... html%3Famp

Eucrid

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Its mostly Americans complaining. Usually people who've never watched manga.

Eucrid

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 pm

LordPercy wrote:I don't know anything about the film or various source materials but i did hear it mentioned by mark Kermode that it doesn't seem to be causing much of a controversy in Japan.

This article seems to corroborate this.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independe ... html%3Famp
The report also notes how many Japanese manga fans are not phased by the casting, with one saying: “If you want a Japanese cast, then a Japanese company should make the film in Japan.”

This too. It's condescending to imply that Hollywood should represent the Japanese when they have their own movei industry.

Bit of sexism going on here too. Where was this level of criticism for the whitewashing of Old Boy?

fatguy2k1

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:41 am

The white washing thing is bullshit. I saw an article on imdb during the week that the whitewashing was the reason it bombed in the box office. no, it bombed because it wasn't a particularity good movie. Don't even get me started on the people who complained that Iron Fist should have been an asian character when he was a fucking white guy in the comics.

some people like to complain and will pick up on the smallest thing in the world to use it as their point. for reference, see any message board on the internet.

Dick Jones

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:39 am

Watched Age of Ultron. I remember everyone here hating it It wasn't so bad? It's The Avengers 2 like, how good do you expect it to be.

Although tbf a lot of the action was a mess. The CGI in the freeway chase sequence was atrocious.

James Spader was enjoyable, but whedon and the animators (understandably maybe) found it hard to walk the line between Ultron being a machine and having a sassy personality.

i_ate_cats

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am

Tried to watch Don't Think Twice last night, comedy/drama with Gillian Jacobs, Mike Birbiglia and a few others.

Unfortunately, it's about a troupe of improv comedians, fucking hate improv. Turned it off quarter way in, too wacky.

Phierstarter

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:23 am

Re-watching Victoria. Immense.

i_ate_cats

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:28 am

Louis CK's new stand-up show on Netflix.

I was familiar with a good few of the jokes from the recent tour. Even still, plenty of laughs.

His SNL monologue was pretty good too, lots of animal jokes.

phpBB [video]

fatguy2k1

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:29 am

Fifty Shades Darker - Oh my god, this movie is utter shit. i expected it to be but it was much worse than i expected. "sex" scenes were terrible. plot was god awful "we're going to have a vanilla relationship from now on" five minutes later "spit on me, spit on me you lackluster cunt" :lol:

Phierstarter

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:43 am

Watched loads of Louis yesterday :thumbs:

Phierstarter

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:53 am

Phierstarter wrote:Re-watching Victoria. Immense.

Urgh. What was i thinking :(
Good movie though.

Dick Jones

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:12 pm

phpBB [video]

Thor 3 looks like good craic. Directed by Taika Waititi (What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople).

1 and 2 were pretty forgettable, so combined with the GotG effect, Feige and the lads probably said fuck it.

mooch

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:07 pm

must watch What We Do In The Shadows again

i don't think i even watched Thor 2? if i did i can't remember anyway.