Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
billysexcrime

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Went to see the Disaster Artist this evening. I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't be a big James Franco by any stretch and even less so his brother but both are really good in it. You definitely don't have to have seen The Room to enjoy it but going by the number of laughs in the cinema it seemed most people where I was had.

Also saw The Florida Project recently, definitely up there with the years best. Incredible cast (of mostly newcomers). Brilliantly directed, the cinematography was incredible. Saw it in the new Stella Cinema in Rathmines which was an experience in itself!

Eucrid

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Ladybird is good but I don't get the hype. Its the kind of film I like and watch a lot of, big Noah Baumbach vibes from it, its in that wheelhouse but I don't think it transcends that. Just a good, fairly straightforward coming of age story with some decent, but unspectacular acting.

bartleby

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:50 pm
Ladybird is good but I don't get the hype. Its the kind of film I like and watch a lot of, big Noah Baumbach vibes from it, its in that wheelhouse but I don't think it transcends that. Just a good, fairly straightforward coming of age story with some decent, but unspectacular acting.
Pretty much exactly what I thought of it, except Ive no idea who Baumbach is, but other than that, it was good, quirky, well made, had a few laughs, but nowhere near a perfect film

Eucrid

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Noah Baumbach made films like Frances Ha, Mistress America (both starred Greta Gerwig who directed Ladybird), Squid and the Whale, GReenberg, etc I like his films a lot. I like Gerwig a lot too. And TBH I liked Ladybird a lot.

Dick Jones

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 am

Watched Bright, the netflix yoke with Will Smith. It got absolutely slated in the reviews, but it wasn't that terrible. It was dumb and a bit of a mess, and kind of racist, and it didn't really make any sense but Will Smith and yerman Edgerton made for a good enough duo and there were some good individual scenes.

It felt like there were too many ideas wedged into it and not explained or developed properly, meaning the audience kind of spends the first half an hour waiting for the penny to drop, but it doesn't and then you're playing catch-up for the rest of the film.

It felt, especially in the early scenes, that a lot of expositionary stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.
Re developing the ideas, it's implied that orcs and fairies and elves etc have lived alongside humans for thousands of years, which is fine. And Smith says "elves run the world", and something about a magical war in Russia in the past, which is also fine - IF they can sell it properly.

BUT THEN one character says "Mexicans are still getting blamed for the Alamo"...which being a piece of actual history suggests that other things in history happened as normal. If the magic world of thousands of years is supposed to be believeable to the audience, both of those things can't be true. They may as well show an orc Hitler and elvish JFK or something.

That's what I mean about it being a mess. And also yeah it's kind of racist, in its clumsy attempt to be a sophisticated race metaphor.
Last edited by Dick Jones on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eucrid

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 am

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a very enjoyable fun film but like Ladybird I'm not really fancying it for an Oscar for best picture or anything. McDormand is very good though and Sam Rockwell could be a bit of a dark horse for best supporting actor.

LordPercy

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 am
Watched Bright, the netflix yoke with Will Smith. It got absolutely slated in the reviews, but it wasn't that terrible. It was dumb and a bit of a mess, and kind of racist, and it didn't really make any sense but Will Smith and yerman Edgerton made for a good enough duo and there were some good individual scenes.

It felt like there were too many ideas wedged into it and not explained or developed properly, meaning the audience kind of spends the first half an hour waiting for the penny to drop, but it doesn't and then you're playing catch-up for the rest of the film.

It felt, especially in the early scenes, that a lot of expositionary stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.
Re developing the ideas, it's implied that orcs and fairies and elves etc have lived alongside humans for thousands of years, which is fine. And Smith says "elves run the world", and something about a magical war in Russia in the past, which is also fine - IF they can sell it properly.

BUT THEN one character says "Mexicans are still getting blamed for the Alamo"...which being a piece of actual history suggests that other things in history happened as normal. If the magic world of thousands of years is supposed to be believeable to the audience, both of those things can't be true. They may as well show an orc Hitler and elvish JFK or something.

That's what I mean about it being a mess. And also yeah it's kind of racist, in its clumsy attempt to be a sophisticated race metaphor.
Wathced the trailer for that a few nights ago and at the beginning of it I thought it was going to be something like the 80s buddy cop/sci fi thing Alien Nation, then I quickly had no idea what was going on. If that's the best they can do with the trailer I'm not going to be bothering with the film.

enemies/friends

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm

I watched it on Boxing Night there. I would agree that it's not THAT bad but at the same time I found myself getting distracted by my phone as it went on so it obviously wasn't quite holding my attention like a good movie does. It passed a couple of hours though

They've announced a sequel as well I think now

bartleby

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:45 pm

It'd prob make a (somewhat) better tv show. Would give them a chance to flesh out the wrold and the backstory a bit.

Here is a small video they released about the backstory that for some reason was not in the film. Not spoiler territory if anyone cares

phpBB [video]

Eucrid

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

I, Tonya is very, very good. Margot Robbies performance is better than McDormand and Ronan too.

Lola

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Eucrid wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm
I, Tonya is very, very good. Margot Robbies performance is better than McDormand and Ronan too.
Margot Robbie is such a brilliant actress. Ronan was probably the weakest in the category this year because you had the likes of Judi Dench and Emma Stone who were also amazing

Eucrid

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 pm

I'd say Soairse is a far better actress than Emma Stone. Wont be watching Stones movie this year though so can't say how the performances stack against each other.

Dick Jones

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 am

Watched a good mix of films the past few days

Lawrence of Arabia - this was on in the IFI a few months ago and missed it; never saw it before so went about it. You can see why it has such a historic rep, it really is an incredible film. Genuinely eye-popping cinematography - basically any film shot in a desert in the past 50 years uses it. It feels very stagey at times, despite the vast backdrops. Peter O'Toole is a handsome bastard, the music is phenomenal, the battle scenes are unreal. Really rewarding watch, all 3 1/2 hours of it.

Apocalypse Now - recorded it on TCM or whatever the other night, hadn't watched it in years. Is it me or are Brando's scenes the least memorable part of the film?

Ice Station Zebra (1968) - Sunday afternoon job on RTE2. The Hunt for Red October is one of my all time favourite movies and I always knew there was a strong connection between the two but never saw this. Really enjoyable cold war submarine thriller, great cast and zips along with plot twists and tense scenes. There's a sequence with the sub navigating beneath the ice at the north pole; I'm not sure if it was sfx or an actual submarine but it looked incredible.

It Follows - best teen horror film I've seen in I don't know how long. Since Scream probably; I know that's a satire but it's still the top banana. Gleefully lifts ideas from John Carpenter, but does its own thing too. Original, well acted, stand-out directing, genuinely scary, great music. It's on Netflix, get on it, great stuff.

enemies/friends

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Saw All the Money in the World last night, mainly out of curiosity at how they'd cope with re-shooting all the scenes Spacey had been in in like a month.

If you look at it from that angle it's very good.

If you look at it as a standalone movie I thought it was very well acted in parts but kind of dull for a kidnap movie.
Last edited by enemies/friends on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 pm

enemies/friends wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm
Saw All About the Money last night, mainly out of curiosity at how they'd cope with re-shooting all the scenes Spacey had been in in like a month.

If you look at it from that angle it's very good.

If you look at it as a standalone movie I thought it was very well acted in parts but kind of dull for a kidnap movie.
Was very confused when googling it and finding this movie. Didn't quite look like a Spacey film :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_the_Money

All the Money in the World

enemies/friends

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Oooooops :lol:

mooch

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:39 pm

:lol:

Lola

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 am

Eucrid wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 pm
I'd say Soairse is a far better actress than Emma Stone. Wont be watching Stones movie this year though so can't say how the performances stack against each other.
For Woody Allen reasons?

Eucrid

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am

For the reviews I read and heard said it wasn't good reasons. I'll probably watch the new Woody Allen film.

i_ate_cats

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 pm

The Disaster Artist - very enjoyable, brings the weirdness of Tommy to the forefront. Credits show dual, screen original and remade scenes best moments, probably my favourite part of the whole thing.

Three Billboards - it should have been better. Great cast, some cool scenes but overall it's a bit shambolic.

Ladybird - it's fine. Will have forgotten about it soon.

Watched a few seconds of The Shape of Water, decided my screener copy was too crappy, will wait for the cinema.