Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Fred__Elliott

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 am

jesus

Lola

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 pm

mooch wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 am
ah yes, the statement where he says how admired he is a few times and doesn't actually apologise once
Yeah, admitting you did something isn't the same thing as an apology

enemies/friends

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm

My favourite* apologies are the "I'm sorry IF blah blah"

So you're not actually sorry,

*By favourite I mean I hate it

Phierstarter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm sorry you're offended by that.

JC!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 pm

also hate when says that the purpose of a statement is to apologise, or they would like to apologise

Not apologies either. Unless you say "I'm sorry" or "I apologise", you are not apologizing.

Statements that mean nothing are getting more and more popular. Obviously politicians are at the forefront of this.

Rob

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

watched a few things this weekend:

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond.
Was quite good and quite interesting. Helped that I've always loved the movie. Gives a bit of an insight into how off the rails Carrey can be.

Wild River:
Written and directed by the same guy who wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water. Similarly strong as those two, in amazing rural worlds your not used to seeing Hollywood movies in (based in Wyoming on an indian reservation)

Baby Driver:
Good fun, always enjoyable how Edgar Wright can pair visuals with sounds so well. Kept worrying Kevin Spacey was gonna come on to Baby

Goon 2:
Simple good fun. Hockey locker room talk has gotten funnier for me ever since watching Letterkenny (Canadian show)

Lola

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Justice League has some of the worst CGI I have ever seen. It was so bad, it was actually distracting to the point where I missed what characters were saying because I was too busy thinking 'What the fuck is wrong with his face?' or 'How did a film that cost THIS MUCH look so fucking bad?'

Steppenwolf in particular looks like something from a video game from 15 years ago and at no point convinced me otherwise

Dick Jones

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Watched HBOs new 2hr documentary about Spielberg the other night. It's basically him and other key people discussing his career, one film at a time.

Highly recommend it, very satisfying watch. You can download it on the Sky machine.

i_ate_cats

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Dick Jones wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm
Watched HBOs new 2hr documentary about Spielberg the other night. It's basically him and other key people discussing his career, one film at a time.

Highly recommend it, very satisfying watch. You can download it on the Sky machine.
:thumbs:

enemies/friends

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Lola wrote:
Justice League has some of the worst CGI I have ever seen. It was so bad, it was actually distracting to the point where I missed what characters were saying because I was too busy thinking 'What the fuck is wrong with his face?' or 'How did a film that cost THIS MUCH look so fucking bad?'

Steppenwolf in particular looks like something from a video game from 15 years ago and at no point convinced me otherwise
Haha funny I had a few hours to kill on Sunday and this and Thor were both starting at the same time. While I was walking around beforehand I was listening to Kermode and Mayo and Kermode described it as "really shoddy, really ill-conceived, spectacularly messy, thunderously boring".

So I went for Thor and it was great fun.

Dick Jones

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Going to see Thor this evening finally, should be fun.

Dick Jones

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 am

Dick Jones wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm
Going to see Thor this evening finally, should be fun.
So so brilliant. Funniest film I've seen in ages.
The story about Loki turning into a snake. Can't quite recall the details but was doubled over laughing at the time :lol: :lol:

Credit scenes, fwiw, were kinda disappointing. Expected a tee-up for Infinity War.

Lola

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

enemies/friends wrote:
Lola wrote:

Haha funny I had a few hours to kill on Sunday and this and Thor were both starting at the same time. While I was walking around beforehand I was listening to Kermode and Mayo and Kermode described it as "really shoddy, really ill-conceived, spectacularly messy, thunderously boring".

It was frustrating because it had the potential to be really good. Ezra Miller's Flash was good (although some of the jokes felt a bit try hard), Jason Momoa was an excellent Aquaman if you could forgive the terrible CGI when he was underwater and Wonder Woman was great.

The rest was just ... yeah. Certain scenes just ended and cut to another without a hint of sense. It felt like someone had a bunch of jigsaw pieces but instead of it fitting together seamlessly, they just cut the edges at random and clumsily taped it together

Plus with the previous films feeling so, so unsatisfying (particularly since they don't really seem to get the Superman character right), the whole 'Hey! The gang's all here!' scenes didn't really have the same effect as say when the Avengers all came together.

Dick Jones

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm

This long twitter thread is worth a read on that topic; why the DCEU lacks the sense of occasion Marvel made look easy, and why it's been such a disaster overall.

You could condense it and say "because Zack Snyder is a truly terrible filmmaker," but this goes into more detail.

https://twitter.com/Acidic_Heart/status ... 5756466176

enemies/friends

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

The thing is, I actually think Marvel is only REALLY getting to where it's good now.

Ok, so not "good". Lots of the movies were decent enough, though it did get a bit tedious having the same build up, build up, big massive CGI actions battle, end plot.

But the likes of GotG and Deadpool have allowed for a bit of humour to creep in to the more mainstream movies, which I think has improved the characters (Thor and Hulk are both noticeably better in Ragnarok than ever before imo) which is giving the movies a bit of almost swagger and making them much more watchable and enjoyable.

I actually might go back and re-watch the first Avengers movie or Capt America and see if maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the older ones though.

enemies/friends

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Lola wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am
enemies/friends wrote:
Lola wrote:

It was frustrating because it had the potential to be really good. Ezra Miller's Flash was good (although some of the jokes felt a bit try hard), Jason Momoa was an excellent Aquaman if you could forgive the terrible CGI when he was underwater and Wonder Woman was great.

The rest was just ... yeah. Certain scenes just ended and cut to another without a hint of sense. It felt like someone had a bunch of jigsaw pieces but instead of it fitting together seamlessly, they just cut the edges at random and clumsily taped it together

Plus with the previous films feeling so, so unsatisfying (particularly since they don't really seem to get the Superman character right), the whole 'Hey! The gang's all here!' scenes didn't really have the same effect as say when the Avengers all came together.
I probably will go see this. I actually think there's lots of potential in among it (see Wonderwoman standalone movie, for example, and I even enjoyed part of Suicide Squad, kind of). But if I have a choice of a couple of things this one will probably not win out over the other as with Thor at the weekend

Lola

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 am

I also think a problem with Marvel vs DCEU is that the Marvel ones were 'fun' (or at least had moments of comic relief that felt natural) from the get go whereas the DC films tried that old 'Make it dark at the expense of it making any sense for the characters' shite. Now that they want to inject a bit of fun into the films - because that's what they should be in the first place - the jokes seem a little bit forced and they can't get the balance in tone right at all.

Phierstarter

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Eucrid

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:15 am

The MCU vs DCEU thing is pretty much just Snyder is shit. I cant understand why they persist with him.

Dick Jones

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 pm

He really is dreadful. He makes Michael Bay look like...fuckin...Wong Kar Wai.